1 2 3

Sunday, December 6, 2009

what differences between Medtronic and DexCom Technology??

Hi Jeff

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner to your query (it seems that no one knows about the technology differences between the two systems, but not to worry..).

You were wondering about why I changed to the DexCom. It goes without saying that some systems work for some people but not for others. However, my own experience with the Medtronic CGMS was that I had many problems getting sensors to work properly. When a sensor did work, it was very good indeed, but many of them didn't. The need to calibrate when your sugars are stable caused me many problems, as the reason I'm using CGMS is because I have a reasonable amount of instability! I spent long periods of time on the phone to Medtronic on many occasions, and in the end decided to give up on it. I used CGMS with a Medtronic 722 pump originally, then changed to the Veo (only available in the UK I think) as it was supposed to have improved algorithms. I did find the Veo CGMS more accurate than the 722 had been (esp with predicting lows)but I had repeated problems with many sensors, which caused me much frustration. I've found the DexCom to be totally different - although I've had a couple of sensors which failed (and will be replaced) the technology seems extremely easy to use, solid and reliable. I just don't have problems with it in the same way I did with the Medtronic. When my sugars fluctuate badly, as they have done recently owing to a stomach virus, it takes this in its stride and just carries on working accurately. Surprisingly, I like having the separate receiver (ie in addition to my pump)- the menu operation is simple and I can pull it out of my pocket and just glance at it from time to time. Another advantage is that it wakes you at night in a hassle-free way -the Medtronic alarm half wakes you and it takes you a long time to come round, switch it off and deal with things, but the Dex can't be ignored once it goes off! Calibration is also straightforward.

These are just own experiences. Other people will no doubt have different views about all this.

Let me know if you have any other queries and good luck trying out the systems!

No comments:

Post a Comment