1 2 3

Friday, December 4, 2009

ABT peanut butter

> Hi all
> My hubby is Type ll he has been using smart balance with
> his morning bagel for a whiile. Smart balance has just recently upped their
> saugar to 3 g. Now it is like some of the other brands and less healthy for
> a diabetic. Does anyone know of another brand that has 1 g or 0 g of sugar
> in it.
> He has it on a small bagel each morning that is his only protein for
> breakfast each morning. He will be missing this an I am afraid as a truck
> driver with little time to spend making breakfast and he is needing
> something to eat while on the road he will turn to other fast foods less
> healthy.
> Thank you
> Annette

Hi, Annette. Coincidentally, my typical breakfast is peanut butter on a slice of toast with eggs. :)

I used to eat 2 pieces of large whole wheat toast with PB. But that was before I was watching my BG numbers closely. I've had to reduce that down to to 1 smaller piece of whole wheat toast plus peanut butter, plus an egg or two (either scrambled or hard boiled.) The toast I use now has about 10 grams of carbs in a slice. This spikes my BG a little, but not wildly--not like the two large pieces were doing.

My guess is . . . the bagel is worse than the slight increase in sugar in the peanut butter you described. Bagels are notoriously packed with carbs, and they are often on many diabetic's "danger" lists. But like others have said, your individual results will very, and if your husband's BG can handle the bagel, then he should enjoy it.

As far as peanut butter goes . . . just watch out for trans fats. I personally don't worry too much about the other fats in my peanut butter--most of them are healthy fats (unsaturated). But trans fats are bad. Often they are not disclosed on the label, and you have to check the ingredients. If the ingredients list hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil, then it has trans fats. There are plenty of peanut butters out there with no trans fat--just check most of the "natural" brands or brands with flax seed oil, for example. Some of the more natural PB's will separate and require you to stir them, but that's normal and not such a big deal.

So . . . just my opinion, don't worry as much about the PB . . . the bagel is more likely to spike his BG.

:)

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment