1 2 3

Friday, December 25, 2009

[Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3836

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Re: BFO: carbs, calories, and weight loss :)

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:59 pm (PST)



Thanks Holly and right back at ya!
Today I ate whatever I wanted to eat at the family meal, because it is the
old diet mentality, I'll begin tomorrow, or Monday or whatever we tell
ourselves.
I have recently begun to see a therapist, as I really do want to get to the
bottom of this. I want to live to see my grandkids grow up, I want to live
many years retired living near the beach, I have a lot to look forward to.
I'll figure it out. One thing I do know, it's definitely not
one-size-fits-all.
Thanks!
~diane

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Holly Shaltz <holly@shaltzfarm.com> wrote:

>
>
> {{{{{{{{{{{{Diane}}}}}}}}}}}}
>
> I hope for you a change in the New Year that will
> let you find your strength and whatever motivators
> that will make you feel better in 2010 and for
> many, many years to come.
>
> Holly in MI
>
>
>
1.2.

Re: BFO: carbs, calories, and weight loss :)

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:15 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Diane Moro <deemoro@...> wrote: <snip> I have recently begun to see a therapist, as I really do want to get to the bottom of this <snip> One thing I do know, it's definitely not one-size-fits-all>>

{{{Diane}}} You go, girl. I think you're a brave woman. It's not easy to voluntarily submit yourself to the internal scrutiny that therapy puts you through. I hope and pray you'll find the answers that will not only work for you physically, but that (IMO more importantly) give you the peace and inner acceptance we all crave so much.
Judy D.

1.3.

Re: BFO: carbs, calories, and weight loss :)

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:37 pm (PST)



You are confusing a failure of will with morality. As I suggested in an earlier response to Diane, she is not a bad person just because she is not yet a thin person. No popcorn in 16 months? Obviously Diane does not want to engage in such an extreme lifestyle, and neither do most folks. And finally, what is "falling off the wagon" if not a failure of will?

If you have noticed I have focused on you a bit, you are very astute. The problem I see with your approach is that it borders on obsessive and is certainly not for most folks. Further, I am not so sure you have your science right on a few things.

Syd

----- Original Message -----
From: Holly Shaltz
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] BFO: carbs, calories, and weight loss :)

Diane writes:

<<The problem becomes, at least for me, that after
some time, I lose
motivation >>

We *all* have that problem from time to time -
it's not unique to you, or to me :) That's why I
keep stressing all my personal motivators -
complications I hope to avoid or see improved,
feeling better on a daily basis, seeing better
numbers on the meter, etc. Each person has to
find her/his own motivators - that which will
enable each of us to stay on our bandwagons, and
get back on when we fall off.

<< It's usually around the 6-9 month mark, where I
find myself
struggling with food choices again, sometimes out
of sheer boredom at eating
the same things, sometimes frustration at not
losing more weight, sometimes
it's the holidays and people around me are
indulging....it can be any number
of things.>>

Again, we all face these same issues. What can I
do to plan ahead and avoid those problems? How
can I make my food more varied? What can I
indulge in that will satisfy me, without going
overboard on carbs? How can I keep my focus on BG
control instead of weight loss? I'm a reasonably
intelligent, highly motivated person with a LOT of
will power, as I know now. What can I do to
harness those attributes so that I will make
healthy choices for *me*?

<<I love taking my grandkids to the movies and
movies for me means popcorn,
period. It's a ritual and I love it.>>

I LOVE popcorn :) That buttery, salty stuff is
perhaps my favorite carb of all time. I
especially love movie-theater popcorn, and
microwave popcorn with that flavor comes in a very
close second.

And I haven't had any in over 16 months now. I
don't dare, as I know it would start the cravings
again, which would lead me down the slippery
slope. I *cannot* be moderate about concentrated
carbs, so I don't indulge in those at all. I
can't even buy salted nuts anymore <sigh> :)

Also, I don't have grandkids yet. I want to still
be alive to enjoy them when they finally start
arriving (if ever! :) I want to have eyesight to
see the movie with them. I want to have both my
feet so I can drive them to the theater. I want
my brain to be intact enough that I can talk about
the movie with them. Etc.

Each of us has to make choices that are difficult.
Each of us has to find motivators that *work* so
we can get back on track when we fall off. These
work for me. I don't know what would work for
others; I can only share what works for me and
hope others will see some little thing that sparks
an idea that helps them in their quest to control
the effects of this disease.

<<I just shared with you a tiny little piece of
me, a piece that has prevented
me from losing weight and perhaps being a better
person, who knows?>>

There's that moral judgment again :) YOU ARE A
GOOD PERSON, DIANE!!!! Whether you eat the whole
theater's popcorn supply or eat none at all,
whether you lose weight or not, whether you
control your BG to your satisfaction or not :)
I'm GLAD to know you a little through this list.
I'm GLAD you chose to post your struggles and (I
hope) successes. I'm GLAD you take the chance to
reveal what's going on with you. I learn from all
of it, and thank you from the bottom of my heart
for sharing.

{{{{{{{{{{{{Diane}}}}}}}}}}}}

I hope for you a change in the New Year that will
let you find your strength and whatever motivators
that will make you feel better in 2010 and for
many, many years to come.

Holly in MI

1.4.

Re: BFO: carbs, calories, and weight loss :)

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:14 pm (PST)



Don't congratulate me yet, Judy, I know it's gonna be a tough road, I've
btdt after my divorce and remember what a painful process it was. But
necessary to get me to the place where I could get a handle on what I was
going thru and how it was affecting me and my girls. I do believe it was
helpful then and it is needed now because I feel so "stuck". Something
inside me is obviously hindering my progress, in more ways than one.
Hopefully a wise therapist will help me piece it together. At the very
least, it will help validate me, gives me a place to vent and throw things
on the table that may not be seeing the light of day otherwise. This is
always a good thing. Because from what I know about myself, it's the stuff
that gets tamped down that hinders me..
Thanks for your wishes, Judy.

~diane

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Jude <peridotjude@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> {{{Diane}}} You go, girl. I think you're a brave woman. It's not easy to
> voluntarily submit yourself to the internal scrutiny that therapy puts you
> through. I hope and pray you'll find the answers that will not only work for
> you physically, but that (IMO more importantly) give you the peace and inner
> acceptance we all crave so much.
> Judy D.
>
>
>
>
2.1.

what makes us MAD

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:02 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Holly Shaltz <holly@...> wrote: <snip> Eating low-carb is a realistic, inexpensive,viable, workable, healthy, effective approach to managing T2 diabetes. It makes me MAD to think the ADA and other "authorities" have tried to deny me the knowledge to make that choice for myself because they think I can't do it>>

Hey, I get MAD because most medical caregivers think type 2 diabetics don't want to, won't want to, are incapable of, can't be taught to, and are not mature and adult enough to deal with being put on insulin when they need it. ie: Faye's earlier testimony about how she told her doc she was "afraid" of needles, etc, and he believed her to such an extent that he actually compromised the care she needed until he was shoved into a corner and all other avenues of drug treatment for her was denied him.

So we all get MAD about different things, don't we. Indeed-y, we do. <G>

Judy D.

3.1.

Re: BFO:  carbs, calories, and weight loss :)

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:10 pm (PST)




--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@...> wrote: Of course a failure of will is involved in obesity. It would be absurd to argue otherwise, And of course various metabolic problems can be a factor. Problem is that many folks actually gain weight once the get their BG under control, so a simplistic view of this is obviously inadequate>>

I agree, to a certain extent. I think if there were one answer for everyone everywhere all the time, someone would write a book about it and make a billion and a half dollars and the rest of us could be healthy, happy and skinny while he laughed all the way to the bank.

Obesity and its evil hangers-on (diabetes, inflammation, heart disease, cancer, joint problems, breathing issues, obstructive sleep apnea, fibromyalgia-type pain, neuropathy, blindness, kidney disease, early death, not to mention the psychological and social fallout of being judged ugly, stupid, useless, and unemployable) is a multi-pronged problem that my common sense tells me just has to have a multi-pronged and highly individual answer (if it even has a long term answer).

Judy D.

3.2.

Re: BFO:  carbs, calories, and weight loss :)

Posted by: "Debbie Drechsler" deb@debdrex.com   debsudrex

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:12 pm (PST)



> But I do know that
> controlling BGs down to the non-diabetic level
> through reducing carbs results in weight loss.

Yes, this is what did it for me, too. In the second edition of
Bernstein's book, there was reference to an article by Gary Taubes, in
the New York Times. Taubes later wrote a huge tome of a book called
Good Calories, Bad Calories that goes into great detail about how we
were sold a bill of goods regarding low-fat diets and how bad the
science was that led to that change back in the 70's and 80's. Here's
a link to the New York Times article, which I found utterly
fascinating as I was trying to decide the best course of action
reagarding my new diagnosis of "let's wait and see what happens with
your slightly abnormal AIc" last December.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=1

Debbie in Santa Rosa

4.1.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:10 pm (PST)



This is exactly what I was speaking about, BTDT, taken off many many lbs
over the years, and they always find their way back because I've never been
able to stay with any one diet "forever". I know, I know, one day at a
time, ODAT, I had a wonderful sponsor in the past at OA, and today she is
two years out from gastric bypass surgery which yes, was successful as she
did lose 120 lbs, but she is slowly regaining it, last time we spoke she was
having myriad medical problems which may or may not stem from the bypass.
Her man-friend had the surgery also, lost 150 lbs in less than a year, is
now even "too thin" according to my friend and has absolutely no energy, no
appetite. When he does eat, he eats crap. His health is failing too.
So I'm seeing lots of things that are not good I see people struggle no
matter what. It's the long term that's the killer, not the today or the
tomorrow.
~diane

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Jude <peridotjude@yahoo.com> wrote:

> -
> Sorry if this sounds gloomy and too depressing for words, but at this stage
> in my life, I feel as though I've been there, done that, lost that and
> regained it again, and I do sometimes wonder, what the feck is the sense of
> doing it all over again, if all the ugly pounds are just going to come back?
> When I lost 100 lbs back in 1990, I felt I had seen the light; I swore to
> god that was IT; I would NEVER regain that hideous lump of fat, and I would
> do WHATEVER it took to keep if off, but guess what? Yep. I weigh 75 lbs more
> now than I did when I started that program. Hmmmm. Food (no pun) for
> thought.
>
> Judy D.
>
>
> nited States
4.2.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:29 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Diane Moro <deemoro@...> wrote: This is exactly what I was speaking about, BTDT, taken off many many lbs over the years, and they always find their way back because I've never been able to stay with any one diet "forever">>

Psychologists will tell you to stop using the "diet" word (which even Garfield the cat knew was "die-with-a-T). Call it a program, a way of eating, a lifestyle.

*snerk* Yeah, right. Or call it Ralph, stick an M&M in your ear, and call me in the morning.

<<I had a wonderful sponsor in the past at OA, and today she is two years out from gastric bypass surgery which yes, was successful as she
did lose 120 lbs, but she is slowly regaining it, last time we spoke she was having myriad medical problems which may or may not stem from the bypass. Her man-friend had the surgery also, lost 150 lbs in less than a year, is now even "too thin" according to my friend and has absolutely no energy, no appetite. When he does eat, he eats crap. His health is failing too.>>

Gastric bypass scares the bejesus out of me, long term. I just think the people currently having it done are nothing but very brave guinea pigs for the bariatric surgeons, who are fishing around for something-anything-please-god-that-will-help-these-hopeless-fat-people. Long term, I do wonder what will happen to them. I'll be dead before my time if nothing changes, but I wonder if they'll have any more time than I get, in the end. ???? No one knows.

As for the guy with no energy and no appetite, well, now he's killing himself with poor food or no food. Lord, there's more than one way to kill yourself, after all. Next time he goes to put gas in his truck or car, gee, why doesn't he fill the tank half with gas and half with water, and see how far its internal combustion engine gets him... I would wager, not far.

<<So I'm seeing lots of things that are not good I see people struggle no matter what. It's the long term that's the killer, not the today or the tomorrow>

The today and the tomorrow choices can certainly get you put in the ground, but yeah, when it comes to diet and other aspects of self-care, long term is the key, IMO.

Judy D.

4.3.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm (PST)



Diane, am I remembering correctly you are on no diabetes drugs? If you are, you might talk to your doc about Byetta. I lost a lot of weight on it, but had to quit it when I was unable to take Metformin and my health took a bad turn. Now that I am on insulin only, I will start Symlin soon. These two drugs are similar and replace a hormone in short supply in Type 2s.

You do not need therapy for being normal. Please put that notion that you need to get to the bottom of it out of your head. Normal humans enjoy eating. Diabetic humans just have to figure out ways to not eat certain things. Some in here think that have it all figured out, but listen to Jude if you want the real voice of experience.

Syd

----- Original Message -----
From: Diane Moro
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] weight loss, but for how long?

This is exactly what I was speaking about, BTDT, taken off many many lbs over the years, and they always find their way back because I've never been able to stay with any one diet "forever". I know, I know, one day at a time, ODAT, I had a wonderful sponsor in the past at OA, and today she is two years out from gastric bypass surgery which yes, was successful as she did lose 120 lbs, but she is slowly regaining it, last time we spoke she was having myriad medical problems which may or may not stem from the bypass.
Her man-friend had the surgery also, lost 150 lbs in less than a year, is now even "too thin" according to my friend and has absolutely no energy, no appetite. When he does eat, he eats crap. His health is failing too.
So I'm seeing lots of things that are not good I see people struggle no matter what. It's the long term that's the killer, not the today or the tomorrow.
~diane

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Jude <peridotjude@yahoo.com> wrote
4.4.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:43 pm (PST)



Jude, you are wonderful! Have you thought about Symlin? I was on Byetta and lost 50 pounds on that. I start Symlin in the next few days (I have been putting it off while I got this uric acid thing and a few other meds sorted out).

Incidentally, I lost 60 pounds in about a week on IV Lasix while in the hospital. I don't recommend that route, however.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jude
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 6:51 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] weight loss, but for how long?

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Holly Shaltz <holly@...> wrote:<snip> I was unable to lose weight in spite of years of going to OA meetings, weighing and measuring my food, weighing myself regularly, calling my sponsor daily, walking, and eating "healthy" by American standards. There was no shortage of will involved in all that, yet it didn't work. It wasn't until I ate simply to control my BG, reducing carbs as needed toward that goal, that I was able to lose weight. And there's no shortage of will involved here, either. It takes will power every single day for me to make the healthiest choices for me <snip>

I wish you all the best, Holly, you know I do, and the comments I make here are not aimed specifically at you but are about all people who lose weight.

The acid test (for you, or anyone else) is not whether you've found your own personal magic bullet OR if you have enough will power to bite the thing; the acid test is if you can keep on doing what you've found to work, day after week after month after year. Will you still be riding this train next year? In 2020? For the rest of your life?

Most anyone can lose weight, 100s of pounds, if necessary, using a whole ream of different methods or combination of methods, God knows. But where the rubber meets the road is-- will those pounds stay off or not, long term?

I don't know what the statistics are anymore, but I know they're abysmal. A large (huge) majority of weight losers will regain it all back, and then some, within 5 years. I think the percentage is something like 80+%, and it could be higher than that.

Sorry if this sounds gloomy and too depressing for words, but at this stage in my life, I feel as though I've been there, done that, lost that and regained it again, and I do sometimes wonder, what the feck is the sense of doing it all over again, if all the ugly pounds are just going to come back? When I lost 100 lbs back in 1990, I felt I had seen the light; I swore to god that was IT; I would NEVER regain that hideous lump of fat, and I would do WHATEVER it took to keep if off, but guess what? Yep. I weigh 75 lbs more now than I did when I started that program. Hmmmm. Food (no pun) for thought.

Judy D.

4.5.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:23 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@...> wrote: Now that I am on insulin only, I will start Symlin soon>>

Please let us know how you do on Symlin, Syd. I took Byetta last year, and (I don't believe) was ever so sick in my whole sorry life. No wonder people lose weight on that spawn of the devil; turning green at the sight of food, gagging and throwing up (or wishing you could) will do that to a person. I hope and pray your experience is waaaaaaaay better than mine was! If you took Byetta at the 10mcg dose and did okay, Symlin hopefully won't make you sick either.

> You do not need therapy for being normal. Please put that notion that you need to get to the bottom of it out of your head>>

C'mon, Syd. Some folks just want to know how they're wired and then how to work within the wiring framework they've been given. Just 'cause you think it's a waste of time, doesn't mean it is for everyone; she won't know till she tries. *and OMG, now I'm talking over Diane's head, as though SHE isn't in the room! <G>*

<<Normal humans enjoy eating. Diabetic humans just have to figure out ways to not eat certain things. Some in here think that have it all figured out, but listen to Jude if you want the real voice of experience>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but believe me, although I've been there, done that, didn't get the T shirt (they never come in size 5X), AND love to talk about it, I certainly have no big insight about any damned thing.

Judy D.

4.6.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:24 pm (PST)



No diabetes drugs yet, Syd. My doc doesn't feel it's necessary. My last a1c
was 6, she offered to put me on something if I wanted to but she also feels
it's best to keep off them as long as possible so as not to deal with side
effects.
The therapy that I'm starting has to do with a few issues, not just the
eating. actually, eating for me is something I do for comfort sometimes, I
do turn to food sometimes for reasons other than hunger, and I know this.
I have issues of poor boundaries right now with my kids and my husband and
this is what I want to talk about. Seems I take care of everyone in my
world, and my self care suffers. I stopped going swimming because I felt I
had to run home after work to give my husband dinner who has to eat early so
he doesn't have acid reflux...just as an example.
~diane

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM, AnaLog Services, Inc.
<analog@logwell.com>wrote:

> 
>
>
> Diane, am I remembering correctly you are on no diabetes drugs? If you
> are, you might talk to your doc about Byetta. I lost a lot of weight on it,
> but had to quit it when I was unable to take Metformin and my health took a
> bad turn. Now that I am on insulin only, I will start Symlin soon. These
> two drugs are similar and replace a hormone in short supply in Type 2s.
>
> You do not need therapy for being normal. Please put that notion that you
> need to get to the bottom of it out of your head. Normal humans enjoy
> eating. Diabetic humans just have to figure out ways to not eat certain
> things. Some in here think that have it all figured out, but listen to Jude
> if you want the real voice of experience.
>
> Syd
>
> es
>
4.7.

Byetta, Symlin, Lasix

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:28 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@...> wrote: Jude, you are wonderful! Have you thought about Symlin? I was on Byetta and lost 50 pounds on that. I start Symlin in the next few days (I have been putting it off while I got this uric acid thing and a few other meds sorted out)>>

Yes, as per my previous post,I did take Byetta. It's considered off-label prescribing to give Byetta to those who take insulin, but Symlin has been approved for that use. I have no earthly idea why my endo prescribed Byetta (the aforementioned spawn of the devil) to me instead of Symlin. Last time we talked, she said she'd try a trial of Symlin with me if I wanted, but I think I turned green in reaction to her suggestion, and she backed off... I can't face the idea of going back to that flu-like illness it gave me. In fact, I get a funny gaggy feeling in the back of my throat just thinking about it.

> Incidentally, I lost 60 pounds in about a week on IV Lasix while in the hospital. I don't recommend that route, however>>

Wow. You were really bloated. That Lasix does the trick all right-- great drug, when you need it. But your poor kidneys! *ouch*

Judy D.

4.8.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:29 pm (PST)



that's OK, sometimes I wish we were in a room!
I don't intend to spend years on the couch, lol, not going down that ugly
expensive road, but a few counseling sessions might just give me the insight
I need to put the puzzle pieces together!
It's actually quite interesting, and my insurance pays for it so why not?
~diane

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Jude <peridotjude@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> C'mon, Syd. Some folks just want to know how they're wired and then how to
> work within the wiring framework they've been given. Just 'cause you think
> it's a waste of time, doesn't mean it is for everyone; she won't know till
> she tries. *and OMG, now I'm talking over Diane's head, as though SHE isn't
> in the room! <G>*
>
>
4.9.

Close to OT? "Boundaries"

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:39 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Diane Moro <deemoro@...> wrote: <snip> I have issues of poor boundaries right now with my kids and my husband and this is what I want to talk about. Seems I take care of everyone in my world, and my self care suffers. I stopped going swimming because I felt I had to run home after work to give my husband dinner who has to eat early so he doesn't have acid reflux...just as an example>>

It's a Christian book, but don't let that keep you away from this wonderful, classic self-help book called "Boundaries (When to Say Yes, When to Say No, to Take Control of Your Life" by Henry McCloud and John Townsend. The book has been around for 15 years and it's *terrific*-- my god, you will see yourself in its pages, Diane, I guarantee. The book gives the reader real-world, practical ways to overcome this problem, to have the self-confidence to see that they have the right to take care of themselves, and it teaches how to relegate the unimportant things to a dark corner, prioritize, and never lose yourself while doing the things you have to every day. As I said, the two men are Christian counselors, but as I remember, there's no big thing about prayer or faith or stuff you might consider weird.

Amazon has it from secondary booksellers for as little as 10 bucks. I'm not sure if it's available in paperback or not.
http://www.amazon.com/Boundaries-When-Take-Control-Your/dp/B001AN8BAC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261791149&sr=1-3

Judy D.

4.10.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "jm04161955" jm04161955@yahoo.com   jm04161955

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:57 pm (PST)





--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Diane Moro <deemoro@...> wrote:

<< I stopped going swimming because I felt I had to run home after work to give my husband dinner who has to eat early so he doesn't have acid reflux...just as an example. >>

Forgive me for stepping in and possibly crossing a lien I shouldn't, but is there some reason why your husband can't "get his own dinner"? Even if he's not a fantastic cook and can only make simple foods, it takes no more than a few minutes to thorw some boneless chicken breasts into a skillet with some oil, salt and pepper, and you can chop and steam a head of broccoli nearly as quickly. Or keep some grilled chicken or ham in the fridge, and buy some romaine lettuce or a variety of drak greens and tomatoes, and in a few minutes, you'e got a salad with adequate protein that can be a meal on its own. Or is it the mindset that the woman must make the meals?

I'm sorry. I'm just trying to underrstand why you *have* to be home to give someone dinner. Unless he's confined to bed and unable to move, he can certainly make a simple dinner.

JoAnne

4.11.

Re: weight loss, but for how long?

Posted by: "seefreetree" seefreetree@yahoo.com   seefreetree

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:11 pm (PST)





> Gastric bypass scares the bejesus out of me, long term. I just think the people currently having it done are nothing but very brave guinea pigs for the bariatric surgeons, who are fishing around for something-anything-please-god-that-will-help-these-hopeless-fat-people. Long term, I do wonder what will happen to them. I'll be dead before my time if nothing changes, but I wonder if they'll have any more time than I get, in the end. ???? No one knows.
>
Just an FYI...I had the lap band surgery. Had to go to a vascular doctor, pulmonary doctor, heart doctor-think thats it!- before they'd do any surgery on me. All the doctors applauded the decision to go lap band VS. bypass of any sort. (Evidentally there are several forms of bypass surgery.) You don't usually lose as fast with the lap band, but long term results are about the same.
Sue

5.

PCOS

Posted by: "Tricia" psimmons1219@gmail.com   psimmons1219

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:37 pm (PST)



Jude
<<Snip>> Polycystic ovary disease. Go ahead and Google it if you want to know more.It can be a part of something called metabolic syndrome (Google that too!) which is a set of problems that can include PCOS (females only, obviously), high blood pressure, glucose intolerance, a high degree of inflammation, excess abdominal fat, etc. >>Snip

I knew I would feel silly for asking what PCOS was. <GRIN> Thanks for telling me, I had a blonde moment.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 19. Lots of endometriosis and lots of cysts. So I guess that is one thing I do not have to worry about.

Merry Christmas
Tricia

6a.

Re: New Intro Tina in MI

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:39 pm (PST)



One big reason that insulin is regarded as the therapy of last resort for Type 2s is the burden on doctors. It is so easy to prescribe Metformin and not have to worry about your idiot patients killing themselves with a hypo episode (not my attitude, but I fear the attitude of many doctors). And of course doctors are not stupid; they know patient compliance is often not what it should be, and if the choice is a pill or a shot, they figure the pill is the more likely to be complied with.

I do the same insulin protocol you use, Jude. I go to one of only two endos serving this several county area, and the one I go to is very experienced (and is even a pHd). Every time I go in for a routine appointment, when I tell the history-taking nurse about changes in meds, etc. she always comments that most of their patients could never do sliding scale let alone a carb formula. I don't know if it is really that bad, but they sure perceive it is.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jude
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 6:34 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: New Intro Tina in MI

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Faye Ridpath <ispgypsy@...> wrote:<snip> after trying meds a bunch the only one that *really* kept my sugars managed was also way more than I could afford every month. It was $200 even with my insurance! I told him I can't afford that so finally he said pretty much he hated to say it but there are no meds left to try and Ishould seriously consider insulin. So I did.<snip> My sugar levels are pretty much managed now. Sometimes I still get high at around 140 but they are usually between 110 and 119>

How sad that insulin is considered a therapy of last resort for type 2s. I'm glad you're doing well, Faye, but how much better it would have been if you'd been put on insulin from the get-go (with a glucose level over 500, it would have been warranted, IMO) and could have therefore gotten better so much sooner. Thanks for sharing-- I'm glad you're here.

Judy D.

6b.

why no insulin for type 2s

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:16 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@...> wrote: One big reason that insulin is regarded as the therapy of last resort for Type 2s is the burden on doctors. It is so easy to prescribe Metformin and not have to worry about your idiot patients killing themselves with a hypo episode>>

I know. What I was saying, exactly.

<snip> she [the endo] always comments that most of their patients could never do sliding scale let alone a carb formula>>

WTF not? 5-year-olds take insulin for their type one diabetes-- and certainly by the time they go to elementary school, out of hour-by-hour reach of their parents or nannies, they are taught to test, inject and eat on time. So WTF can't full-grown adults be taught?

I think they can. BUT there is a lack of CDEs or other qualified staff to teach them, and there very rarely is enough insurance reimbursement for the teaching and follow-up needed. Sigh.

As I said, this makes me MAD.

Judy D.

7a.

Type 2 Diabetes, The Thirty-Third Year

Posted by: "Michael Garmaise" mgarmais@yahoo.com   mgarmais

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:19 pm (PST)



If you could find a specialist to give it that medical imprimatur, then YOU could write it!  Your posts on this list are models of highly literate, sensible, and entertaining writing.
 
Michael

 I need one entitled, "Type 2 Diabetes, The Thirty-Third Year".

No, really, I'm not kidding! <G> I really do!

Judy D.

MARKETPLACE

Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

Parenting Zone: Find useful resources for a happy, healthy family and home

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

.

7b.

Re: Type 2 Diabetes, The Thirty-Third Year

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Michael Garmaise <mgarmais@...> wrote: If you could find a specialist to give it that medical imprimatur, then YOU could write it!  Your posts on this list are models of highly literate, sensible, and entertaining writing. Michael>

I do love to write (as does Holly-- you may have noticed, we have that in common, right, Holly?) But, but, but... who in heaven's name would read it? Hmmm. Food (still no pun) for thought again.
Judy D.

8.

diabetics and weight loss

Posted by: "ceyanne2003" ceyanne2003@yahoo.com   ceyanne2003

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:43 pm (PST)



I have bee dx for 3 years now I also weigh more now than I have in 47 years . I take metformin 500mg once a day and 5mg glipizude 5 2 times a day I am still gaining weigh and can not lose a pound of it any suggestions

9.

diabetes causes obesity

Posted by: "Eric Geffner" drgeff@yahoo.com   drgeff

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:13 pm (PST)



Thank you Holly,
I completely agree with your view and it matches my experience with this issues. I was always thin and full of energy, for years I had undiagnosed diabetes because the fasting test was being used and not the a1c. I overate BECAUSE of the diabetes. Who else would be CRAVING sugar when the meter read 575 ?
(I had to buy one myself after three doctors told me I was not diabetic because by fasting number was 100-110... I am not an MD so figured it out too a while, but I was so-call prediabetic for many many years, I think even as a child I had some symptoms.

Eric

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Resources and tips

for parents

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Discover auto groups

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Learn about issues

Find support

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment