1 2 3

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Need suggestions for diet

I am sixty and recently diagnosed with diabetes 2. Have met with two nutritionalist with different approaches. ??? I am five feet tall (short...LOL) and weigh 145 lbs. I was advised to lose 20 lbs, excercise minimum 30min a day, and to take 500mg Metformin with largest meal (doctor).

The first nutritionalist stressed low carb. diet. (no white flour, no white rice, no white potatoes, stick to low carb fruits, such as berries)

The second nutritionalists taught me to set calories to 1200-1500 (50% carbs,30% fats, 20% protein.)

She said that I wasn't getting enough carbs and that was why I was feeling so tired and not losing weight.

She told me that I needed to limit my servings of carbs to 11-12 servings per day and to spread out my servings through out the day. She said that 15 carbs = 1 serving. She taught me to look at packages and read labels in this way... don't look at package serving size suggestions, but instead to look at total carbohydrate amount and to divide it by 15. Then if the package says 1 cup is a serving size and that that one cup has 30 carbohydrates, then it is really two servings of carbs.

It is confusing, but this made more sense to me. So I am going by the second nutritionist now and will see how I feel, how my weight loss goes, and how my BGs do.

My question is can you give me examples of what to eat for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I find I am eating a lot more food than I used to, and yet, I am hungrier than I used to be.

Katherine

Katherine, I wish it was so easy as to tell you what you need, but only YOU can figure that out. I got pretty much the same advice as you did from your second nutritionist from my dietitian and it works best for ME. Others cannot handle that many carbs though. She should have given you example menu plans. Can you contact her and ask for them? And yes--if it says 30 carbs then that would be two servings. It is confusing but it CAN be done! There are websites that can help with the percentages. FitDay.com will list a pie chart when you have entered your foods for the day. This has been helpful to me. Also the exercise is great! Even something as simple as walking 30 minutes a day at whatever pace is best for you helps alot! I hope this helps you.

Val
Who did her strength training for the day this morning. WHEW!

IMO, neither one was wrong. Taking some ideas from column A and some from column B might work for you.

Each of us has to discover what works for us anyway. All we can do is take the information given to us and then customize it so that we can live comfortably, lose weight if necessary, and get the glucose numbers into a normal range. Within reason, everyone's nutritional scenario is their own and no one else's.

If the weight is coming off at the rate of 2-3 pounds a month, your glucose numbers are coming into line, and you feel reasonably good, I'd say you've hit the place you need to be. Just make sure to see your doctor at regular intervals for more blood work and a check up (at least every six months, more often if he wants), keep on doing home testing, and stay the course with your food intake and exercise. You should do fine.

~BK~

No comments:

Post a Comment