1 2 3

Sunday, December 6, 2009

tested Type 2 from 2003

I was tested Type 2 from 2003( I was 53 years then) and truly feel thankful today for the wakeup call. We tend to forget our ageing process and that diet and exercise are important. Luckily , till date I have managed without medicines and only control of diet and by exercise. It is tough in official and social circles but I never felt fitter than now . People compliment me on my fit look at age 60. I have fallen ill very rarely during these six years.
My diet included two egg whites daily, fruits, raw vegetables, brown bread, oats .Carbs were necessary but were reduced. A rice based carb diet would be reduced if I also had potatoes in that meal so that the carbs were in strict control.Alcoholic drinks were drastically reduced . No colas or aerated,fizzy drinks, only water . Fruit juices only if without sugar. Being a 75% vegetarian( except for the eggs) helped . No meat except grilled fish or grilled chicken . Lots of beans, lentils and proteins . Only black tea or black coffee without sugar.
Snack every three hours, never leave more than five hours gap between food, never eat more than 50% of your stomach capacity, fill up 25% with water and leave remaining 25% of stomach empty.
The lesson I learnt in parties and social gatherings was : Just because there is food on the table, does not mean you have to eat it.
Only thing to watch out is when you start longing for some kind of favorite food. To avoid the craving, Saturday afternoon to Sunday brunch was a "free, happy hours" time: identify the food you craved for and eat small doses during these hours.Yes, very important that it is only small doses!

I used to( and still do) take a brisk walk every day for at least 30 to 40 minutes, come rain or shine . Again Sunday was rest day, no exercise!But Sunday I would do a lot of cleaning up at home which was also a form of exercise. This walking got ingrained in routine life: at work, instead of using the intercom, I would walk to the other person's desk and even within my own office, when bogged down with too much work, would take breaks and just jump up and own and stretch my limbs for a few minutes.I never use the elevators, always take the stairs for at least three floors. While travelling out of home, do jogging inside your hotel room for 30 minutes; on the pretext of shopping, always walk through all the shopping areas, malls . Try not to use cabs if the distance is less than 20 minutes walk .

I am still doing these and am not on any medicines . My fasting BG was 140 in 2003 and has been steadily brought down to 105 . In fact, I sometimes overdo my control and end up with fasting BG of 70! I have lost at 6 kilos of weight over the last six years.I am now retired so the stress side has improved dramatically

No comments:

Post a Comment