1 2 3

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

[diabetescgms] Digest Number 1765

Messages In This Digest (6 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Re: why you can't fix everything

Posted by: "jath622@wowway.com" jath622@wowway.com   jath6221

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:13 pm (PST)



As an old saying goes "It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious". Henry David Thoreau
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Jensen <adam.jensen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:01:13
To: <diabetescgms@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [diabetescgms] My trial of Medtronic and Dexcom CGM Systems

Dave, I agree that this would be great. Unfortunately, I fear we may not
see things like this for a while. It seems to me that both CGMS and insulin
pumps are made overly simplistic, and my educated guess is that this is for
one or both of the following reasons:

(1) To make the programming simpler and the system more robust/less
susceptible to bugs
(2) There's not a politically correct way to say this, but to "idiot proof"
the systems. Notably, the Cozmo feature you mentioned (along with many
other of the more complex features) is only accessible if you are able to
connect the Cozmo to a computer.

Adam

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Dave Guyer <daveg2@charter.net> wrote:

> Thank you, Jeff. I program for a living, so this explanation makes a lot
> of sense to me. Seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to allow the
> selection of AND or OR. I still like my idea that the further below the
> low threshold I get, then the rate of drop that I'm worried about
> becomes much less.
>
> That is, if I'm 50, I personally don't want to see any drop. If I'm 70,
> I won't panic over a slight drop. If I'm 300, I'm going to want to see a
> whole bunch of drop! My Cozmo supplies that kind of functionality by
> adding an additional percentage value of the bolus to the total bolus
> over preset thresholds, but I'd rather be allowed a mathematical
> equation to describe the curve.
>

1.2.

Re: why you can't fix everything

Posted by: "Ron Ziegler" ronnielee2u@yahoo.com   ronnielee2u

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:23 pm (PST)



is that anything related to: "You can't fix stupid?"
 
Ron
MM722+CGMS Type 1 26 years
 

--- On Tue, 12/29/09, jath622@wowway.com <jath622@wowway.com> wrote:

From: jath622@wowway.com <jath622@wowway.com>
Subject: Re: [diabetescgms] why you can't fix everything
To: diabetescgms@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 3:13 PM

 

As an old saying goes "It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious". Henry David Thoreau
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: Adam Jensen <adam.jensen@ gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:01:13 -0500
To: <diabetescgms@ yahoogroups. com>
Subject: Re: [diabetescgms] My trial of Medtronic and Dexcom CGM Systems

 

Dave, I agree that this would be great.  Unfortunately, I fear we may not see things like this for a while.  It seems to me that both CGMS and insulin pumps are made overly simplistic, and my educated guess is that this is for one or both of the following reasons:

(1) To make the programming simpler and the system more robust/less susceptible to bugs
(2) There's not a politically correct way to say this, but to "idiot proof" the systems.  Notably, the Cozmo feature you mentioned (along with many other of the more complex features) is only accessible if you are able to connect the Cozmo to a computer.

Adam

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Dave Guyer <daveg2@charter. net> wrote:

Thank you, Jeff. I program for a living, so this explanation makes a lot
of sense to me. Seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to allow the
selection of AND or OR. I still like my idea that the further below the
low threshold I get, then the rate of drop that I'm worried about
becomes much less.

That is, if I'm 50, I personally don't want to see any drop. If I'm 70,
I won't panic over a slight drop. If I'm 300, I'm going to want to see a
whole bunch of drop! My Cozmo supplies that kind of functionality by
adding an additional percentage value of the bolus to the total bolus
over preset thresholds, but I'd rather be allowed a mathematical
equation to describe the curve.

1.3.

Re: why you can't fix everything

Posted by: "Adam Jensen" adam.jensen@gmail.com   adamixoye

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 pm (PST)



As true as that is, I believe that the makers of CGMS and pumps still try.
In fairness, it's a case where idiot-proof is closely correlated to
childproof, computer-illiterate-proof, etc.

Adam

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM, <jath622@wowway.com> wrote:

> As an old saying goes "It is impossible to make anything foolproof because
> fools are so ingenious". Henry David Thoreau
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
>
2.1.

Re: My trial of Medtronic and Dexcom CGM Systems

Posted by: "DEB555" dgm555@verizon.net   debm555

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:40 pm (PST)



I couldn't agree more!
While there is a difference in shape of a dex receiver it is pretty
much the same overall size as Nav's. Dex definitely has a much
smaller transmitter than Nav.......for now anyway.
Size does matter :-) to me. But I love the results I get with my
navigator more than I care about transmitter size.
DEB555

2.2.

Re: My trial of Medtronic and Dexcom CGM Systems

Posted by: "Dave Guyer" daveg2@charter.net   davegyr

Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:15 pm (PST)



I have to disagree, Adam. I access all the Cozmo features directly from
the Cozmo. The software is free, I just don't use it.

Adam Jensen wrote:
>
>
> the Cozmo feature you mentioned (along with many other of the more
> complex features) is only accessible if you are able to connect the
> Cozmo to a computer.
>
> Adam
>

2.3.

Re: My trial of Medtronic and Dexcom CGM Systems

Posted by: "Adam Jensen" adam.jensen@gmail.com   adamixoye

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm (PST)



Dave,

I know the software is free--I'm not sure what you're getting at. I guess I
was wrong about the specific feature that you mentioned, the percentage
bolus increases--until I did some searching just now, I didn't know how to
access them from my pump without using the link.

But there are in fact certain things that can only be accessed through the
computer software--anything to do with naming (home screen, custom boluses,
basal patterns), and also (I think) creating custom boluses and
loading/editing CozFoods. However, now that I'm really thinking about it,
it's less than I thought.

I guess my real point is that I can still think of a laundry list of
reasonably straightforward features that could improve my Cozmo--and
presumably other pumps, because as of 2007, Cozmo had far more customizable
features than other pumps. For example, the low cartridge alarm is pretty
annoying, it needs a better "snooze" feature. I really hope that in the
future, pump designers consider these things.

Adam
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Share experiences

with owners like you

Hollywood kids

in the spotlight

Their moms

share secrets

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment