1 2 3

Sunday, December 6, 2009

low carb WOE aids overall health

I now changed to low carb but only after years of struggle with my weight and BC bouncing all over place. I am on high protein no starchy carbs, trying to stay below 40 or so of carbs a day. To my own surprise it actually works very well and my body is healing. I am losing weight without effort, only need to lose 10 more pounds to get to BMI of 25. I have lots of energy, stabled moods, stable BC and my bad cholesterol in going down fast. Even my skin is less dry and patches of dermatitis have gone too.

How interesting. I mean, I've heard over and over about how low carbing controls blood glucose, and that makes perfect sense to me. But gee-- you're speaking of healing here, of losing weight, of energy, improved mood level, and even your skin is healthier. Hmm. I confess, you've given me much food (no pun! really!) for thought with this.

I do think it'd be very very hard for me to eat as low carb as you are currently, but... even trying for 75 grams a day would be a good goal for now. I confess I love the idea of this improved measure of health. My current A1c is 6.0, so my docs are happy enough, but I know, way down deep in my know-er, that all is not well... this damned diabetes is taking its toll on me, all day, every day. Maybe I should give this low carbing a try.

I still don't understand all that well but as far as I gather it is protein that my body cannot make but glucose it can make out of protein and all carbs

If you understand mammalian digestion at all, you know that the body makes glucose out of everything you eat (you know, except for zero calorie things and stuff like celery, which is mostly indigestible fiber and water)-- everything, even pure fat. Carbs, proteins, fats, it's all converted to glucose, some quickly, some slowly, because glucose is what the body's cells need for metabolism (along with oxygen). Glucose and oxygen literally fuel our little internal cellular combustion engines.

We've all had the low-fat gospel preached at us for years because fats contain twice the calories per gram that carbs and protein do-- so when someone with an otherwise normal metabolism wants to lose weight, it does make sense to diet the low-fat way. But for diabetics, who are glucose-challenged, obviously low-carbing is also extremely beneficial.

Thanks for prompting me to give this some serious thought. Hmmm....

~BK~

No comments:

Post a Comment