1 2 3

Friday, December 4, 2009

Avandia and Back Pain

I can't remember if I'd mentioned it here or not, but I recently learned that one of the potential side effects of Avandia is lower back pain. I had no idea!

I am overweight and I do have degenerative disc disease that affects my L4 and L5 vertebrae area. Because of this, I didn't think much of it when my back was getting worse and worse all last year. It'd gotten so bad that I was using a cane, and was seriously considering a rolling walker.

Suddenly, though, when I went in for gallbladder surgery and was off my Avandamet, I started feeling better! What in the world? I mean, really... what kind of weird side effect is that - to have gallbladder surgery and have your LOWER (not upper, where gallbladder pain refers to) suddenly feel like you've got a whole new back?!

After a month off of the Avandia I have regained some of the strength that I'd lost due to becoming more and more sedentary due to the pain. I'm so incredibly frustrated right now. I know I will always have some pain due to my degenerative discs, but I went from going out walking all the time and having fun to barely going to the grocery store! This past week, however, we went to an outdoor shopping mall and I walked almost the whole mall without a cane, and only had to sit down a few times, and only for a few seconds each time.

What a difference getting off that stuff has made.

Posted by: "M. B."

No comments:

Post a Comment