1 2 3

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

[Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3844

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye From: Britt
1b.
Re: Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye From: Steve Yarbrough
2.
mental difficulties From: Tricia
3a.
Re: Quenching Thirst From: Holly Shaltz
3b.
Re: Quenching Thirst From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
3c.
Re: Quenching Thirst From: Ruth Sheehan
4a.
BG testing From: Dolores
4b.
Re: BG testing From: Holly Shaltz
4c.
Re: BG testing From: Jude
4d.
Re: BG testing From: Sandra
4e.
Re: BG testing From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
4f.
Re: BG testing From: mary slack
5a.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: dolores desideri
5b.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: Deb Billwiller
5c.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: txterri
5d.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: GJ
5e.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: Jude
5f.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: Jude
5g.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
5h.
Re: Quenching Thrist From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
6a.
I would appreciate your comments... From: Nan Cee
6b.
Re: I would appreciate your comments... From: Jude
6c.
Re: I would appreciate your comments... From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
7a.
Thanks for the answers From: Grey-Lady C
7b.
Re: Thanks for the answers From: Jude

Messages

1a.

Re: Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye

Posted by: "Britt" JBrittK@cox.net   drknow526

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:10 am (PST)



Is this Cardiolite stress test a nuclear stress test? I have one scheduled
next Wednesday and wondering if it is one in the same test.

Britt

From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of brian cooper
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 8:17 PM
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Metformin washout before stress test with
contrast dye

Jude, AnaLog, etc.,

Before my Cardiolite stress test a couple of weeks ago, I was told not to
take any meds (incl Metformin) on the morning of the test day. The test
itself was in early afternoon, and I would have had my last Metformin by 9pm
the night before. (I'm not positive that contrast dye was used. I know there
was a radioisotope and the tech had mentioned "another chemical.")

Any idea whether this would have been long enough to be off the Metformin to
avoid kidney damage. Dose should have been 1000 mg twice daily, but I was
taking 2000mg twice daily at that point because of the SNAFU by the endo or
pharmacy I've described...

Thanks,

Brian Cooper
Greenville, NC

1b.

Re: Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye

Posted by: "Steve Yarbrough" medtexsteve@gmail.com   csy1846

Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:30 am (PST)



http://www.qualityoflife.org/heart/heartcenter/procedures/nuclearStressTest.htm

the above site gives info on the four "Cardiolite Sttess tests"

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Britt <JBrittK@cox.net> wrote:

>
>
> Is this Cardiolite stress test a nuclear stress test? I have one scheduled
> next Wednesday and wondering if it is one in the same test.
>
> Britt
>
> From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes%40yahoogroups.com>
> [mailto:Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com<Type-2-Diabetes%40yahoogroups.com>]
> On Behalf Of brian cooper
> Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 8:17 PM
>
> To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Metformin washout before stress test with
> contrast dye
>
> Jude, AnaLog, etc.,
>
>
> Before my Cardiolite stress test a couple of weeks ago, I was told not to
> take any meds (incl Metformin) on the morning of the test day. The test
> itself was in early afternoon, and I would have had my last Metformin by
> 9pm
> the night before. (I'm not positive that contrast dye was used. I know
> there
> was a radioisotope and the tech had mentioned "another chemical.")
>
> Any idea whether this would have been long enough to be off the Metformin
> to
> avoid kidney damage. Dose should have been 1000 mg twice daily, but I was
> taking 2000mg twice daily at that point because of the SNAFU by the endo or
> pharmacy I've described...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Cooper
> Greenville, NC
>
>
>

--
Steve Y.
2.

mental difficulties

Posted by: "Tricia" psimmons1219@gmail.com   psimmons1219

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:14 am (PST)



I thought I should mention that I was taking 10 mg of methadone 10 times a day (4 in the AM and 6 in the PM). I am now taking 3 pills in the PM. I lowered my dose as slowly as I could so I could take over the raising of my 1 year old grandbaby. I started lowering my dose several months ago and went through all the bone and muscle pain because I went to fast. Since my grandbaby is living in the house now I felt it was imperative I drop my dose. My DIL is not exactly on top of things and I do much more than I felt comfortable doing on that large a dose. My pain is through the roof but I sleep less. I sometimes do not sleep for days when the pain is at its worst. I have to take Hydrocodone PRN for pain but never when my son is at work.

Maybe it was lowering my dose so much that has caused this problem. The doctor thinks it could be the pain that causes this problem. He was greatly against the way I lowered my dose and he did not want me to lower it at all. I had been at the same dose for 5 years and was doing fine.

Thanks for the discussion about this. I really appreciate all the input.

Tricia

3a.

Re: Quenching Thirst

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:28 am (PST)



Anne writes:

<<I just got the results from my first sugar test
(193). Now I have to take more test. In the mean
time, I was wondering, is there anything I can do
about this unquenchable thirst, other than
drinking more water??>>

Uncontrolled diabetes causes "unquenchable" thirst
because your kidneys are trying to rid your body
of the excess glucose (sugar) in your system - you
urinate a lot, which in turn makes you thirsty, to
replace all that water. Have you noticed that
eating sweet foods makes you thirstier than other
foods?

Bring your BGs (blood glucose, or blood sugar)
down to near-normal levels, and you'll find the
thirst *immediately* eases. In the meantime, keep
drinking that water, and look forward to the day
when you suddenly realize you don't need a glass
next to you 24/7! :)

I take it you've *just* been diagnosed? Welcome
to the group! Do you have a BG meter yet? Have
you been trained on how to use it? Have you been
referred to local diabetes classes yet? If not,
ask for them! They will really help you find your
feet with this new way of living and eating, and
maybe find the beginnings of a support system as
well, even some new diabetic friends you can talk to.

In the meantime, if you have questions, please do
ask away on the list! You may get so many
responses your head will spin :) Each and every
diabetic is a little different, and so has a
unique response to diabetes - there's no "one size
fits all" treatment. That can make things a bit
more challenging in the beginning, but it also
means you and your physician can tailor things to
fit *your* body and needs, with some trial and
error, until you find a comfortable approach that
works for you.

Hugs,

Holly in MI

3b.

Re: Quenching Thirst

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:59 am (PST)



Reminds me of just before my self-diagnosis several years back (when I bought a meter). I was making many trips to the bathroom every night due to the high BG, and on the way back, I would detour through the kitchen and drink a coke (real cane sugar). What a viscous cycle that was!

----- Original Message -----
From: Holly Shaltz
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] Quenching Thirst

Anne writes:

<<I just got the results from my first sugar test
(193). Now I have to take more test. In the mean
time, I was wondering, is there anything I can do
about this unquenchable thirst, other than
drinking more water??>>

Uncontrolled diabetes causes "unquenchable" thirst
because your kidneys are trying to rid your body
of the excess glucose (sugar) in your system - you
urinate a lot, which in turn makes you thirsty, to
replace all that water. Have you noticed that
eating sweet foods makes you thirstier than other
foods?

Bring your BGs (blood glucose, or blood sugar)
down to near-normal levels, and you'll find the
thirst *immediately* eases. In the meantime, keep
drinking that water, and look forward to the day
when you suddenly realize you don't need a glass
next to you 24/7! :)

I take it you've *just* been diagnosed? Welcome
to the group! Do you have a BG meter yet? Have
you been trained on how to use it? Have you been
referred to local diabetes classes yet? If not,
ask for them! They will really help you find your
feet with this new way of living and eating, and
maybe find the beginnings of a support system as
well, even some new diabetic friends you can talk to.

In the meantime, if you have questions, please do
ask away on the list! You may get so many
responses your head will spin :) Each and every
diabetic is a little different, and so has a
unique response to diabetes - there's no "one size
fits all" treatment. That can make things a bit
more challenging in the beginning, but it also
means you and your physician can tailor things to
fit *your* body and needs, with some trial and
error, until you find a comfortable approach that
works for you.

Hugs,

Holly in MI

3c.

Re: Quenching Thirst

Posted by: "Ruth Sheehan" irishayes@charter.net   hulamoon15

Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:58 am (PST)




Me too!!
Last year right before I was dx'd I was so thirsty and real Coca Cola was all I was craving! NEVER in my life have I drank non-diet soda, but I was downing the real stuff by the liters! Should have been a clue . . probably why my fasting glucose level was 387 at diagnosis.

---- "AnaLog Services wrote:
> Reminds me of just before my self-diagnosis several years back (when I bought a meter). I was making many trips to the bathroom every night due to the high BG, and on the way back, I would detour through the kitchen and drink a coke (real cane sugar). What a viscous cycle that was!
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Holly Shaltz
> To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:28 AM
> Subject: Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] Quenching Thirst
>
>
>
> Anne writes:
>
> <<I just got the results from my first sugar test
> (193). Now I have to take more test. In the mean
> time, I was wondering, is there anything I can do
> about this unquenchable thirst, other than
> drinking more water??>>
>
> Uncontrolled diabetes causes "unquenchable" thirst
> because your kidneys are trying to rid your body
> of the excess glucose (sugar) in your system - you
> urinate a lot, which in turn makes you thirsty, to
> replace all that water. Have you noticed that
> eating sweet foods makes you thirstier than other
> foods?
>
> Bring your BGs (blood glucose, or blood sugar)
> down to near-normal levels, and you'll find the
> thirst *immediately* eases. In the meantime, keep
> drinking that water, and look forward to the day
> when you suddenly realize you don't need a glass
> next to you 24/7! :)
>
> I take it you've *just* been diagnosed? Welcome
> to the group! Do you have a BG meter yet? Have
> you been trained on how to use it? Have you been
> referred to local diabetes classes yet? If not,
> ask for them! They will really help you find your
> feet with this new way of living and eating, and
> maybe find the beginnings of a support system as
> well, even some new diabetic friends you can talk to.
>
> In the meantime, if you have questions, please do
> ask away on the list! You may get so many
> responses your head will spin :) Each and every
> diabetic is a little different, and so has a
> unique response to diabetes - there's no "one size
> fits all" treatment. That can make things a bit
> more challenging in the beginning, but it also
> means you and your physician can tailor things to
> fit *your* body and needs, with some trial and
> error, until you find a comfortable approach that
> works for you.
>
> Hugs,
>
> Holly in MI
>
>
>
4a.

BG testing

Posted by: "Dolores" djdesi98@gmail.com   djdesideri

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:39 am (PST)



I'm new to all this and have some basic questions. I'm right handed and do my BG testing on my left hand. My fingers can get pretty sore as a result. Sometimes, my fingers bruise around the poke. Are most people ambidextrous with their BG testing? How many times you use a lancet? I also have Reynauds which means when I'm cold, I don't have much blood in my fingers which makes it hard to test. Any suggestions?

dolores

4b.

Re: BG testing

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:43 am (PST)



Dolores writes:

<<I'm right handed and do my BG testing on my left
hand. My fingers can get pretty sore as a result.>>

I'm right handed, too, and tend to test on my
left, but it's very easy to test on the right as
well. Next, make sure you're not testing on the
pad or fingerprint area of the finger - it's got
lots of nerve endings, making it very sensitive to
pain. You can test along the tip and sides,
fairly close to the fingernail (not actually into
the cuticle, of course). And don't forget your
thumb! I don't use my little fingers because they
hurt lots extra most of the time for some reason,
but my thumb doesn't hurt much and gives me a good
drop of blood every time.

You can also buy lancets that are smaller gauge
than the standard. My insurance won't pay for
them, but they're pretty cheap - box of 100 for
just $10 at my local pharmacy; big box stores
would be cheaper I expect - and at 4 per month or
so, it lasts a LONG time :)

<< Sometimes, my fingers bruise around the poke. >>

I keep a handkerchief with my home supplies, and a
tissue with my one-the-go meter. I don't just
blot or wipe the blood after testing; I apply
pressure with the handkerchief for maybe 15
seconds (more if the blood is still oozing).
Since I started doing this, I haven't bruised.

<< How many times you use a lancet?>>

Until it's blunt :) Easiest is to change it when
you open a new vial of test strips. I often
forget, and got through 2-3 vials before it
suddenly dawns on me that the lancet hurts more
than it used to, then I change it.

<< I also have Reynauds which means when I'm cold,
I don't have much blood in my fingers which makes
it hard to test. Any suggestions?>>

Just warm your hands up - warm running water is
easiest. I suspect I have Reynaud's, too, at
least in my index fingers. When they're feeling
hard and cold and they're white, I don't use them
for testing. My other fingers are usually OK, but
if my hands are cold it's always harder to get
blood, so I warm them up first. If water isn't
available, you can always pop the sacrificial
digit into your mouth to warm it first (make sure
you haven't had any carby food recently :)

If you're needing to warm your hands most of the
time before testing, and usually use water, don't
forget to use hand cream of some sort frequently.
I've ended up with cracks at my finger tips from
dried skin due to washing, even without soap, too
often without cream - makes testing, and life in
general, much more painful!

You don't have to wash off most creams before
testing next time - but if you find your results
are off when you have cream on, then suspect the
cream and either change brands or wash it off
before testing.

Holly in MI

4c.

Re: BG testing

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:26 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Dolores" <djdesi98@...> wrote:
I'm new to all this and have some basic questions. I'm right handed and do my BG testing on my left hand. My fingers can get pretty sore as a result. Sometimes, my fingers bruise around the poke. Are most people ambidextrous with their BG testing? How many times you use a lancet? I also have Reynauds which means when I'm cold, I don't have much blood in my fingers which makes it hard to test. Any suggestions? dolores>

Hi Dolores,

I limit all my testing (many days up to 7-8 times or so) to the thumb and first two fingers of my left hand, since I am unwilling to have all ten of my fingers get sore. Three fingers should give you plenty of area, if you use the sides.

Poking the tips of your fingers is the worst, most painful. I avoid this.

I assume you have an adjustable lancet-- it should have either numbers or a little series of dots around the head of the thing. You can dial it down to make each poke less deep. You don't need a huge glob of blood, after all. Experiment around with this.

If your fingers are a problem, get one of the meters you can use to do testing on your forearms-- you might like that better anyway.

I use my lancets about 25 times each, only changing them when I open a new vial of test strips. Of course it'd be a lot more comfy to use a new one each time, but what a pain in the keister that thing is to reload all the time.

Judy D.

4d.

Re: BG testing

Posted by: "Sandra" atc.sandra@cox.net   atcsandra

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:56 am (PST)



If you don't have one already, you should look into a meter that allows you to test other places besides your hand. Mine allows me to test all over the body. The fingers are considered the most accurate but as long as you are consistent, you can get good information. I am ambidextrous anyway so I can test on both hands. (I was born left handed but forced to learn to do things right handed as a child.)

You can use a lancet until it gets dull. A dull lancet hurts more and may lead to sticking yourself more than once to draw blood.

---- Dolores <djdesi98@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to all this and have some basic questions. I'm right handed and do my BG testing on my left hand. My fingers can get pretty sore as a result. Sometimes, my fingers bruise around the poke. Are most people ambidextrous with their BG testing? How many times you use a lancet? I also have Reynauds which means when I'm cold, I don't have much blood in my fingers which makes it hard to test. Any suggestions?
>
> dolores
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> *** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***
>
> *** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

4e.

Re: BG testing

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:44 pm (PST)



Try testing on the forearm. It is less painful and works just fine. A few meters are calibrated for it. I absolutely abhor finger pricks! I use the Freestyle meter,

Syd

----- Original Message -----
From: Dolores
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:35 AM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] BG testing

I'm new to all this and have some basic questions. I'm right handed and do my BG testing on my left hand. My fingers can get pretty sore as a result. Sometimes, my fingers bruise around the poke. Are most people ambidextrous with their BG testing? How many times you use a lancet? I also have Reynauds which means when I'm cold, I don't have much blood in my fingers which makes it hard to test. Any suggestions?

dolores

4f.

Re: BG testing

Posted by: "mary slack" maryrose16@yahoo.com   maryrose16

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:20 pm (PST)



I test on the palm if my hand. Kind of off on the side.
 
 
 

--- On Tue, 12/29/09, AnaLog Services, Inc. <analog@logwell.com> wrote:

From: AnaLog Services, Inc. <analog@logwell.com>
Subject: Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] BG testing
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 10:31 AM

 

Try testing on the forearm.  It is less painful and works just fine.  A few meters are calibrated for it.  I absolutely abhor finger pricks!  I use the Freestyle meter,
 
Syd
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Dolores
To: Type-2-Diabetes@ yahoogroups. com
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:35 AM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] BG testing

 

I'm new to all this and have some basic questions. I'm right handed and do my BG testing on my left hand. My fingers can get pretty sore as a result. Sometimes, my fingers bruise around the poke. Are most people ambidextrous with their BG testing? How many times you use a lancet? I also have Reynauds which means when I'm cold, I don't have much blood in my fingers which makes it hard to test. Any suggestions?

dolores

5a.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "dolores desideri" djdesi98@gmail.com   djdesideri

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:41 am (PST)



What do you drink that is healthy and does not contain artificial
sweeteners? Water gets pretty boring.
dolores

5b.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "Deb Billwiller" auroraws@yahoo.ca   auroraws

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 am (PST)



Try adding a squeeze of lemon to your water. Unsweetened hot or iced
teas or coffees are about all that's available other than water if
you don't want artificial sweeteners at all.

Deb in BC

At 09:36 AM 2009-12-29, you wrote:
>What do you drink that is healthy and does not contain artificial
>sweeteners? Water gets pretty boring.
>dolores

5c.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "txterri" theros44@yahoo.com   theros44

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:28 am (PST)



I drink lots of seltzer water or plain sparkling water -- not club soda because I try to avoid a lot of sodium. I really do love the stuff and have always loved it, long before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I do not like diet drinks (with the exception of diet Canada Dry ginger ale but even that doesn't taste so good to me any more) so I drink my sparkling water, herbal teas, green tea, coffee, etc. but rarely use artificial sweetners in any of them. Sometimes I will squeeze a little lime juice or other fruit juice into the sparkling water. My local grocery store does sell their own brand of sparkling water with fruit flavors but no artificial sweetners so I do buy that and keep it on hand. I just bought Rooibos herbal tea a few days ago, and I really do like it!

HTH
Theresa

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, dolores desideri <djdesi98@...> wrote:
>
> What do you drink that is healthy and does not contain artificial
> sweeteners? Water gets pretty boring.
> dolores
>

5d.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "GJ" gj.lentz76@gmail.com   gj.lentz

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:31 am (PST)



The thirst aspect is what actually clued me onto the possibility of diabetes. It took sometime to realize it, because I always made a point to drink a lot of water, but this past six months I noticed it was a crazy craving, and nothing would quench it unless it was ice water. This past month since being diagnosed it has gone back to normal, with meds and diet/exercise to get the bg under control. Im hitting 128-155 fasting now, 155-210 before/after meals, when I was 275-400 at the very start. Diet and exercise are not ideal, but getting better, lol, work in progress. Still testing myself to see what bumps it and what doesnt, my biggest thing is portions, its been nothing for me to eat a whole box of macaroni cheese by myself and want a bowl of cereal an hour later. I work in a restaurant so grazing is/has been a problem, so I struggle to stop snatching french fries and tostada chips.

on a different note, I wanted to ask you folks about any possible link you might have had with diabete/high bg, and rashes/hives? I first went to a dr because of the hives was put on prednisone, and beause of my excess drinking (water, lol) i urinated like a race horse while on it and was concerned about my kidney (i have only one) web-md of course showed me the coorelation of drinking/kidneys/diabetes, so I asked the dr about it. she and an allegist dont think there is any connection, but I have read a little about it at various sites with hardly any real answers. Im really stumped as to what has been causing it, and think itmay be a combination of many things but mainly stress?? since my body and organs were stressed by having insulin resistance and a steady high bg? we have ruled out food and detergents, pets, etc...

allergist has me on zyrtec which i have had no outbreaks or swelling (my lips, tongue, toes, hands, feet have had swelling) and of course i would get itchy and then break out with terrible hives...never have Ihad any such problems, and probably would never have realized the diabetes until i wound up in er f it hadnt been for the hives/swelling.

i have gone off the zyrtec for a day or two and the itchy/rashy and hives would start up, as well as minor swelling in the fingers...that last time was 2 weeks ago, and ive ony been working on my diabetes for a month now...

now the allergist of course did some contact tests to rule out common food/pet/pest allergies, believes it is auto-immune, perhaps some kind of viral deal making body act out against it with excessive histamine. he will do a few blood tests after i have used up my zyrtec and if the problem arises again, so no answers there...it just seems odd that the two have come up tgether you know??

gregory in bc, mi

5e.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:26 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, dolores desideri <djdesi98@...> wrote: What do you drink that is healthy and does not contain artificial sweeteners? Water gets pretty boring. dolores>

Iced tea or iced coffee is fine, if you don't mind them black or with a bit of milk. Or the hot versions, of course.

Try putting lemon in your water, or lime, or fresh orange. Squeeze a bit of the juice in there, put in the pieces of fruit. Not bad, especially if you don't need "sweet".

Judy D.

5f.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:59 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "GJ" <gj.lentz76@...> wrote:
The thirst aspect is what actually clued me onto the possibility of diabetes>>

It's a major symptom of uncontrolled diabetes. And of course, along with it comes the peeing. Not. Good.

<snip> I work in a restaurant so grazing is/has been a problem, so I struggle to stop snatching french fries and tostada chips.>

Brush your teeth before work. Chew sugarfree gum all the time. Keep a big container of cold water where you can reach it to keep yourself hydrated. And above all, don't take the first bite. Make a pact with yourself-- unless a food is on a plate, and you are sitting down to eat it, you can't get started, no first bite.

> on a different note, I wanted to ask you folks about any possible link you might have had with diabete/high bg, and rashes/hives? <snip> we have ruled out food and detergents, pets, etc... allergist has me on zyrtec>>

Zyrtec is a do-nothing drug, IMO. I took it for a while, and it might as well have been one of those cardboard placebo pills. The stuff isn't cheap either. The only thing I've found that works for my allergies, asthma and eczema is a prescription med called fexofenadine, which is generic Allegra, the only antihistamine that hasn't gone OTC. My insurance won't pay for it; they want me on the OTC do-nothing drug, so I pay for the fexofenadine myself at almost 2 bucks a pill. Good stuff.

<snip> have gone off the zyrtec for a day or two and the itchy/rashy and hives would start up, as well as minor swelling in the fingers...that last time was 2 weeks ago, and ive ony been working on my diabetes for a month now>>

AFAIK, there's no diabetes-hives connection. OTOH, the meds people take for type two could certainly cause hives and rashes. You didn't say what meds you're on, but haven't your doctors considered that this might be a med side effect?

> now the allergist <snip> believes it is auto-immune, perhaps some kind of viral deal making body act out against it with excessive histamine. he will do a few blood tests after i have used up my zyrtec and if the problem arises again, so no answers there...it just seems odd that the two have come up together you know>>

Hmmm. There's an old saying among doctors-- when you hear hoofbeats, don't expect to see zebras. IOW, why would the docs be suspecting auto-immune problems (zebras), when it's so much more likely to be med side effects or something you're eating (horses), especially, as you say, the diabetes and the hives "came up together"? I'd ask them that.

Judy D.

5g.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:42 pm (PST)



Why not? I like em. I avoid most of the sugar alcohols, but the true artificial sweeteners rock.

----- Original Message -----
From: Deb Billwiller
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: Quenching Thrist

Try adding a squeeze of lemon to your water. Unsweetened hot or iced
teas or coffees are about all that's available other than water if
you don't want artificial sweeteners at all.

Deb in BC

At 09:36 AM 2009-12-29, you wrote:
>What do you drink that is healthy and does not contain artificial
>sweeteners? Water gets pretty boring.
>dolores

5h.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:45 pm (PST)



Don't worry too much about the artificial sweeteners. Something else will kill ya first.

----- Original Message -----
From: dolores desideri
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:36 AM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: Quenching Thrist

What do you drink that is healthy and does not contain artificial
sweeteners? Water gets pretty boring.
dolores

6a.

I would appreciate your comments...

Posted by: "Nan Cee" nan.cee124@yahoo.com   nan.cee124

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:29 am (PST)



I just had a call from the nurse at our VA Clinic telling me
of my latest lab results.   A1C went from 8.2 in July to
7.8 in September and 8.3 in December.
 
She said the doctor is giving me three different options:
a)  tighter control of my diet, b) addition of a third
medication (Actose) or, c) Insulin.
 
I chose a) tighter control of my diet, but I honestly do not
know what to do unless I cut out carbs altogether.  It seems that if I take in any carbs, my sugar skyrockets to
200-300+ .  Carbs seem to be hidden in everything.  Each
Omega 3 capsule contains 2 g and I take 4 of those daily.
Also, I understand there are carbs in some of my other meds but I don't know how many.
 
I am prone to have infections which cause my blood sugar
to be elevated, but the doctor tends to increase the glucose meds rather than treat the infection. 

My A1C was only 6.1 when they first placed me on Metformin in 2003.  At 6.8, in June 2005,  they added Glyburide.  Increased Glyburide at 7.1 in October 2005. 
At 7.7 in October 2008, they again increased Metformin although the A1C had dropped from 7.9 four months prior.
Increased  Glyburide again at 7.7 in April 2009.
 
        During all this time, several other meds were added
such as Zocor, Zetia, Omega 3, Captopril was changed to Valsartan, Vitorin, Increased Levothyroxine, Changed Valsartan to Crestor, Added Ambien, Bactrim for Urinary
tract infection.
 
     Right now, I am totally confused and becoming a bit
scared.  I'm on so many meds:  Calcium with Vitamin D,
Glucosamine & Chondroitin (at doc's suggestion), Albuterol, Ecotrin, Atenelol, Digoxin, Furosemide, Glipizide, Isosorbide, Levothyroxine, Naproxen, Omega 3, Potassium, Rosuvastatin, Valsartan.
 
     I'd appreciate any input / advice.  Feel free to email me at my personal email address.
 
     Thank you all.  I've been learning lots from this group.
 
                                    Nancy

6b.

Re: I would appreciate your comments...

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:44 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Nan Cee <nan.cee124@...> wrote: I just had a call from the nurse at our VA Clinic telling me of my latest lab results.   A1C went from 8.2 in July to 7.8 in September and 8.3 in December. She said the doctor is giving me three different options: a)  tighter control of my diet, b) addition of a third medication (Actose) or, c) Insulin. I chose a) tighter control of my diet, but I honestly do not know what to do unless I cut out carbs altogether.  It seems that if I take in any carbs, my sugar skyrockets to 200-300+>>

Heh. The doctor thinks you're stuffing your face, I'm sure of it. That's what he means by "tighter control of your diet". He doesn't care about carbs or how many you're eating. When he saw that your A1c went up, he figured you were just overeating, because after all, isn't that what ALL his overweight diabetic patients do? *rolls eyes*

Sorry for the moment of sarcasm. I couldn't help it.

Back to you... um, what's semi-starvation going to gain you? Your body is srsly out of whack and sick and under the influence of scads of different meds, and you're contemplating eating less of some pretty healthy foods. I personally wouldn't go there (there are many on this list who won't agree, and that's fine) because I'm just old-fashioned enough to believe that nutritionally, every carb in the world isn't bad news, only the refined sugar and HFCS ones are, you know, IMO.

Actos. Wouldn't touch that darned stuff with a ten foot pole. It's notorious for causing weight gain. And the side effects! You're already on two oral diabetes meds, and to add a third-- eeeeeeek, the side effects!

Which leaves insulin. After all, isn't this what your body needs? Are you afraid of it? You don't need to be. They'll train you how to use it, test around it, etc, and you WILL see good results after a few months of dosage adjustments.

> I am prone to have infections which cause my blood sugar to be elevated, but the doctor tends to increase the glucose meds rather than treat the infection>

I would argue that the opposite is probably true. The infections aren't causing your glucose to rise so much as that your elevated glucose levels leave you prone to infection. And yes, this is the very epitome of vicious circle time.

> My A1C was only 6.1 when they first placed me on Metformin in 2003.  At 6.8, in June 2005,  they added Glyburide.  Increased Glyburide at 7.1 in October 2005. At 7.7 in October 2008, they again increased Metformin although the A1C had dropped from 7.9 four months prior.Increased  Glyburide again at 7.7 in April 2009.>>

Your diabetes is progressing, which often happens in the face of poor control. Poor gets worse, which snowballs into even worse, and down it goes.

<<During all this time, several other meds were added such as Zocor, Zetia, Omega 3, Captopril was changed to Valsartan, Vitorin, Increased Levothyroxine, Changed Valsartan to Crestor, Added Ambien, Bactrim for Urinary tract infection. I'm on so many meds: Calcium with Vitamin D,Glucosamine & Chondroitin (at doc's suggestion), Albuterol, Ecotrin, Atenelol, Digoxin, Furosemide, Glipizide, Isosorbide, Levothyroxine, Naproxen, Omega 3, Potassium, Rosuvastatin, Valsartan.>>

Good lord. And your doctor wants to add Actos to that? Run for the hills, Nancy. Over yonder thar lies Insulin Land, and there you will find relief. It's quite simple, actually-- just remember, simple is not always easy, but in the doing of that simple-but-not-easy thing, you'll gain much better health.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Please let us know how you're doing.

Judy D.

6c.

Re: I would appreciate your comments...

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:45 pm (PST)



That is one heck of a drug cocktail. What the heck is your diagnosis? They seem to be treating you for congestive heart failure and high blood pressure / angina. Several of those are fairly harmless and benign like the aspirin and the osteo biflex. Others not so benign, like the cholesterol medicines which I refuse and I probably have a similar diagnosis to yours (our Dr. Ron thinks they are peachy, but I am not so sure about that).

Given all the things going on with you, you might want to consider insulin. I went that route out of necessity after acute renal failure, but it turned out to be a wonderful move.

----- Original Message -----
From: Nan Cee
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:20 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] I would appreciate your comments...

I just had a call from the nurse at our VA Clinic telling me
of my latest lab results. A1C went from 8.2 in July to
7.8 in September and 8.3 in December.

She said the doctor is giving me three different options:
a) tighter control of my diet, b) addition of a third
medication (Actose) or, c) Insulin.

I chose a) tighter control of my diet, but I honestly do not
know what to do unless I cut out carbs altogether. It seems that if I take in any carbs, my sugar skyrockets to
200-300+ . Carbs seem to be hidden in everything. Each
Omega 3 capsule contains 2 g and I take 4 of those daily.
Also, I understand there are carbs in some of my other meds but I don't know how many.

I am prone to have infections which cause my blood sugar
to be elevated, but the doctor tends to increase the glucose meds rather than treat the infection.

My A1C was only 6.1 when they first placed me on Metformin in 2003. At 6.8, in June 2005, they added Glyburide. Increased Glyburide at 7.1 in October 2005.
At 7.7 in October 2008, they again increased Metformin although the A1C had dropped from 7.9 four months prior.
Increased Glyburide again at 7.7 in April 2009.

During all this time, several other meds were added
such as Zocor, Zetia, Omega 3, Captopril was changed to Valsartan, Vitorin, Increased Levothyroxine, Changed Valsartan to Crestor, Added Ambien, Bactrim for Urinary
tract infection.

Right now, I am totally confused and becoming a bit
scared. I'm on so many meds: Calcium with Vitamin D,
Glucosamine & Chondroitin (at doc's suggestion), Albuterol, Ecotrin, Atenelol, Digoxin, Furosemide, Glipizide, Isosorbide, Levothyroxine, Naproxen, Omega 3, Potassium, Rosuvastatin, Valsartan.

I'd appreciate any input / advice. Feel free to email me at my personal email address.

Thank you all. I've been learning lots from this group.

Nancy

7a.

Thanks for the answers

Posted by: "Grey-Lady C" greyladyc@yahoo.com   greyladyc

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:50 am (PST)



Hi,
 This goes out to all of you who answered my question about having  "lows"  it is kinda good to know that 68 isn't a real serious low since I will be eating a meal after I test (ed) I  usually don't make New Years resolutions but there is at least three things I need to do for myself , especially if I want to " Live Long & Prosper"
A  definatly keep to some type of routine  eat at least 3xda and take my medicine apx the same time  every day (I will eat break around 9 and usually have been taking my med shortly after whenI get dressed for the day) even if I go out for breakfast and have a"big" breakfast   make sure I eat  later in the day too even if it is only 1/2 cup of cottage cheese  with fruit (fresh, can, frozen)or yougut.  B  Exercise more  and try to loose and keep off the weight ( when first dx I weighed almost 200 lbs within a year I weighed less than my adult daughter) I belong to a Health club 2x a week I  along with several other ladies and my instructor lift weights do "deep" knee bends  hi/low exercise etc perhaps I should make use of the Health club and go 3x a week. I don't live in Snow Blizzard country, but  the Pacific Northwest where it rains and after 15yr+ I should be use to it I live in a safe and friendly neighborhood where you can walk with or
without a dog even at night, C keep up with my food journal and jot own when I take my medicines that way whenI go see my doctor we can "play " dectective" to see what I am doing right or wrong.  It just so happens that I will be making and seeing my doctor next month /( I go 4x a year Jan/Feb  May/June  Oct/Nov)   I know I have a 50/50 chance of it progressing to more serious things (blindness, kidney, amputation, heart attack stroke etc) but I also believe that I have  a 50/80 % chance of not developing any other "off" shoots of this condition as long as I keep or take the best care of myself as possible. I very much want to at least see my granddaughter grow into a teenager or young adult. Again thanks for those who answered my concerns. you know I really hate being a diabetic but I guess you have to play the hands you were givein and hope for the best.

7b.

Re: Thanks for the answers

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:05 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Grey-Lady C <greyladyc@...> wrote: <snip> definately keep to some type of routine  eat at least 3xda and take my medicine apx the same time  every day>>

Diabetes care thrives under a good, regular, predictable schedule of eating, exercise and meds, if any.

<snip> Exercise more  and try to lose and keep off the weight>>

A great goal! Go for it, girl.

<snip> as long as I keep or take the best care of myself as possible. I very much want to at least see my granddaughter grow into a teenager or young adult>.

Just picture her face whenever you get down about the "I should, but I don't wannas", and you might find them quickly turn into the "oh, boy, I cans!"

<snip> I really hate being a diabetic but I guess you have to play the hands you were given and hope for the best>

Hope is a wonderful thing. Add to it "a little more action", as the old Elvis song says, and you'll be doing fine.

Judy D.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Celebrity Parents

Spotlight on Kids

Hollywood families

share stories

Dog Fanatics

on Yahoo! Groups

Find people who are

crazy about dogs.

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Explore green tips

and resources

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment