1 2 3

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3830



On 12/22/09, Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: New to the group. From: Holly Shaltz
2a.
Re: Testing From: Holly Shaltz
3a.
Hi everyone, I'm new From: questsky
3b.
Re: Hi everyone, I'm new From: ron42nm
3c.
Re: Hi everyone, I'm new From: Jude
4a.
HI Im new..... From: DavidF
4b.
Re: HI Im new..... From: Jude
4c.
Re: HI Im new..... From: DavidF
4d.
Re: HI Im new..... From: Holly Shaltz
4e.
Re: HI Im new..... From: Jude
5a.
My Sugar Level From: Faye Ridpath
5b.
Re: My Sugar Level From: Jude
5c.
Re: My Sugar Level From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
6.
Good insulin injection From: Amal
7a.
glucose high after breakfast From: Barb H.
7b.
Re: glucose high after breakfast From: Holly Shaltz
8a.
Re: Where to find B D pen needles at a decent price From: Tiamat
9a.
Re: Wine impact on BG (???) From: hhoq8x54b
10.1.
Re: no easy answers From: Tiamat
10.2.
Re: no easy answers From: Diane Moro
11a.
re wine inpact on BG(???) From: trudy odonovan
11b.
Re: re wine inpact on BG(???) From: james Fuller
11c.
Re: re wine inpact on BG(???) From: ron42nm
12a.
Re: Statin Use From: Diane Moro
13a.
Re: OT - Happy Holidays From: Diane Moro

Messages

1a.

Re: New to the group.

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:36 am (PST)



Valee writes:

<<I joined so I could get a better understanding
of what he goes through. And advice on how to
help him. >>

Welcome to the group, and what a lucky guy your
friend is, to have someone like you supporting
him! My DH has been a great support, too - he can
do those things I feel incapable of, like dealing
with the bureaucracy of insurance, or just
throwing an objective eye over my issues as they
come up, to help me problem-solve. And a hug of
support can go a long, long way toward making me
feel better!

Be aware that there may be times when he's mad at
life for dealing this diabetes to him, and he
might be inclined to vent in a way that seems to
blame you. I know I've done that <sigh> Of
course, don't take any abusive behavior! But
otherwise, know that it's probably not personal.

On the fact he's not testing, or not letting you
know the results - speculating here, guys in
general often don't like to admit there's anything
wrong with them (and yes, some of us gals can be
that way too! :) For me, it was the weight on the
scale. It wasn't until I got under 150 that I
started reporting the number to DH regularly - not
that there was ever a demand by him to know it,
bless him, but I was embarrassed before then. Now
I'm not embarrassed. Your friend may be
embarrassed by BGs that he feels aren't where they
"should" be. Or, maybe, he's not testing because
he's afraid to know. Not much you can do about it
either way, unfortunately. The motivation to
test, and then to act positively on what you see,
has to come from within.

But you as a role model of healthier eating and
acting may be the best thing you can do for him.
Can you get him to take walks with you, for
example? And gently push those walks a little
further as he becomes more comfortable? That will
help with his BGs, his overall mood, and his
ability to eat appropriately.

Good luck with your guy, he's lucky to have you
around!

Holly in MI

 
2a.

Re: Testing

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:50 am (PST)



Theresa writes:

<<I did the same thing this morning just to see
how different each result was going to be. The
first test was 102, about 1 minute later it was
97, then right after that it was 87. Why was
there such a difference on each test? >>

There can be any number of reasons.

One (most likely cause) is that meters aren't
super-accurate (though generally the ones I've
used, Ultra One Touch and Freedom Freestyle Lite,
are closer than that). They're apparently only
required to test within 20% of the actual BG.
Sheesh! It's a wonder *anyone* can get good
control with fluctuations of the *meter* like
that! Your deviations were within that 20%.

I've read some meters are generally more accurate
than others. Ask around for recommendations, then
contact the company that makes those would good
reps for a new meter - but make sure your
insurance will pay for the strips. My insurance
tripled my co-pay for my Ultra One Touch, so I had
to switch to the one they wanted me to use, the
Freedom Freestyle Lite. I still don't like it as
well, though I've used it twice as long as my
original meter.

Another possible cause for changes like that is
that your BG might actually be fluctuating that
fast - but you'd probably feel it; I know I do :)

If the strips haven't been stored properly, or are
really old, they might be going bad, so that's a
possibility.

And if you're pricking different fingers for each
test, it's possible some fingers have something on
them contaminating the test results, while others
don't. This is sometimes the cause of an
unexpectedly high reading - really high, not the
small variation you got - like if I've handled
glucose tablets and not washed my hands thoroughly
I might get a test result hundreds of points
higher than I really am.

Most likely it's just that meter's normal
variability. Experience helps you recognize how
close it's likely to be to where you really are.
And you learn, too, that the variability means
repeated patterns are probably more important than
individual numbers. If I have a fasting BG
normally in the 80s, then suddenly there's one in
the 90s that isn't explained by the food I had the
day before, then I suspect I might be coming down
with a cold or infection - or it might just be the
meter. I don't sweat it, I wait and see how the
rest of the day (drinking echinacea tea to help
against a possible infection :), and the next day,
goes, to figure out what's happening.

Hope this helps,

Holly in MI

 
3a.

Hi everyone, I'm new

Posted by: "questsky" questsky@yahoo.com   questsky

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:01 am (PST)



For about a month now, horrible little cuts are breaking out on my hands when I eat. Dry rashes and surface fungus also. I am going to the doctor soon. I've started losing weight, I want to lose 50 pounds. Do you think I can tell the doctor I don't want medicine now, I just want to diet? What kind of treatments do you usually start? Thanks.

 
3b.

Re: Hi everyone, I'm new

Posted by: "ron42nm" ron42nm@gmail.com   ron42nm

Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:43 am (PST)



You don't provide nearly enough information for anyone here to give you any advice on that. Many early diabetics can be controlled on diet and exercise. The important thing, however, is controlling your blood sugars. If you can do that with diet and exercise, then that's great, but don't feel afraid to take medication if it's necessary. The most commonly used initial medication if metformin, but a number of factors figure into that decision. It's something you need to discuss with your doctor.

Ron

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "questsky" <questsky@...> wrote:
>
> For about a month now, horrible little cuts are breaking out on my hands when I eat. Dry rashes and surface fungus also. I am going to the doctor soon. I've started losing weight, I want to lose 50 pounds. Do you think I can tell the doctor I don't want medicine now, I just want to diet? What kind of treatments do you usually start? Thanks.
>

 
3c.

Re: Hi everyone, I'm new

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:20 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "questsky" <questsky@...> wrote:For about a month now, horrible little cuts are breaking out on my hands when I eat. Dry rashes and surface fungus also. I am going to the doctor soon. I've started losing weight, I want to lose 50 pounds. Do you think I can tell the doctor I don't want medicine now, I just want to diet? What kind of treatments do you usually start? Thanks.>

Not all skin issues are caused by diabetes, but diabetes does affect every cell of the body, and if your glucose is very high, sometimes healing is slow (and sometimes not, everyone is different)or you can be prone to fungal infections and rashes.

Most doctors these days will give a newly diagnosed diabetic about 3 months to start making lifestyle (diet, exercise, weight loss) changes and then re-evaluate the glucose levels to see how they're doing. If good progress can be shown, many times meds can be avoided.

But lobbying for no meds, when you really do need them, is not in your best interest. If you need meds, you need meds, and you shouldn't be afraid of them or think you've failed somehow. They can always be discontinued later, when you've improved, if your doctor feels that's appropriate.

Welcome to the group. I hope you'll let us know how you're doing.

Judy D.

 
4a.

HI Im new.....

Posted by: "DavidF" deslotgod@yahoo.com   deslotgod

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:18 am (PST)



I was diagnosed with type 2 about 6 weeks ago,Id been sickly for some time, exhausted and weak feeling,started getting sores on my calves,and abdomen ,thirsty all the time etc...So they ran a bunch of blood work and the one that looks at BG for a long period came back at 9.6 ,tested sugar that day was 403...so they started me on 500mg of metformin 2x a day and I began completely redoing my life style,from 1 huge meal a day to 6 tiny ones ,and cut out all added sugar,poatoes,carrots,corn etc ,currently doing the high protien /low carb and sugars thing. Im also morbidly obese with high blood pressure (that Ive been working on for a couple years) ....I lost 11 lbs the first 4 weeks,but its slowed to 1-2 lbs a week since,and my sugar is staying under 200,usually under 180 and mostly down around 120.For me right now the hard part is the "depression" feeling from extremely slow gain,I have a good 3-4 days never get past 130 even in the morning or after meals,run in the mid 110's and then doing the exact same thing Im having 130-180 days,and still adapting to the complete lifestyle change,and giving up all the foods i loved for unnoticable gains...how long does it take to start getting used to this,and quit being POed about being sick...Im looking forward to learning from you all,thanks,Dave

 
4b.

Re: HI Im new.....

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:58 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "DavidF" <deslotgod@...> wrote: I was diagnosed with type 2 about 6 weeks ago,Id been sickly for some time, exhausted and weak feeling,started getting sores on my calves,and abdomen ,thirsty all the time etc...So they ran a bunch of blood work and the one that looks at BG for a long period came back at 9.6 ,tested sugar that day was 403>>

First of all, welcome to the group. We're glad you found us.

It was actually a blessing that you got diagnosed. You'd probably been diabetic for quite a while, which is actually pretty typical for type 2s, who often walk around with high glucose sometimes for years, undiagnosed, while their small blood vessels and nerves go to hell in a handcar. So keep your eyes on the prize, and count your lucky stars you went for testing and found out, so you can make your way back to where you need to be.

<<...so they started me on 500mg of metformin 2x a day>>

When do you see the doc again? He might increase this dose, or add a hypoglycemic med (one that will stimulate your pancreas to make and release more insulin), if warranted (time will tell).

<<and I began completely redoing my life style <snip> I lost 11 lbs the first 4 weeks,but its slowed to 1-2 lbs a week since>>

You've made good progress with that. A weight loss of (by my calculations) nearly 15 pounds in 6 weeks is nothing to sneeze at! You pooh poohed it later on in your post, said that was slow, etc, but it's not; it's actually over 2 pounds a week average, and that's not slow. I don't know how much weight you have to lose, but you WILL get there; it really does add up, month after month, if you stay the course. You didn't gain an extra 100 pounds in 3 months, and it's not gonna come off any faster than it went on, for sure.

<snip> giving up all the foods i loved>>

Which can be a real mistake. I mean, anyone can give up anything (or everything, for that matter) short term, but when you look down the long road of the rest of your life, it can be pretty depressing to think you'll never have a slice of your own birthday cake again. Most of us long-timers have had to find a balance between constant self-denial and allowing a small indulgence maybe once a week or so, just to stay sane. Everyone's different, everyone has a different set of "musts" that they adhere to, but I'll tell you, it's what you do 6.75 days a week that matters much more than what you have to force yourself into, gritting your teeth all the way, 7 days a week, that will get you into the good control you want and help you stay there.

But it's early days for you, so your first line of "musts" really does include taking your meds on time, doing your best to keep losing that 1-2 pounds a week, testing a few times a day and keeping a written log of the results to show your doc, and keeping your medical appointments. Then you'll know you're doing all you can for now.

<<for unnoticable gains>>

You went from over 400 to sometimes seeing 120, and those are unnoticeable gains? *puzzles* You need to srsly rethink this. Aren't you being a bit hard on yourself?

<<...how long does it take to start getting used to this,and quit being POed about being sick...Im looking forward to learning from you all,thanks,Dave>>

You never get used to it, but you do become accustomed to it. You must wear your diabetes as a part of yourself now, which is part of dealing with any chronic condition. It's never going away, no matter how much you wish and pray and hope, so you have to learn to live with the thing without allowing it to rule your life. You should eventually be less POed as you start to feel better and get more on top of it. Some people (personality types, whatever) are prone to depression, so if that continues to be a problem, you can get help for that, too.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Judy D.

 
4c.

Re: HI Im new.....

Posted by: "DavidF" deslotgod@yahoo.com   deslotgod

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:40 pm (PST)



Thanks,I go back to the doctor tomorrow,spent a couple hrs with the dietitian today,found out Id undermined myself this week,Id figured if the low carb/high protein I was doing was working good i would do even better with less..hmm seems with my BMI Im supposed to need about 3300 calories a day to stay the same,2700 and I should loose the pound a week like they want...at 1400 the results wont be twice as good,oops.Seems Ive been eating less than half what I should for the last week or so,and increased my excercise,guess that was all wrong.Im shooting for losing another 10 lbs by febuary,and they say thats all they want me to lose in that time frame..I was a 276 blob 6 weeks ago,and a 260.2 blob last week at my check up,ILL be smaller tomorrow inspite of the undereating (who'd have thunk you can eat too little to lose weight,defies logic) realy am eager to see whats changed and start hitting the excercise room at work ...Dave

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Jude" <peridotjude@...> wrote:
>
> --- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "DavidF" <deslotgod@> wrote: I was diagnosed with type 2 about 6 weeks ago,Id been sickly for some time, exhausted and weak feeling,started getting sores on my calves,and abdomen ,thirsty all the time etc...So they ran a bunch of blood work and the one that looks at BG for a long period came back at 9.6 ,tested sugar that day was 403>>
>
> First of all, welcome to the group. We're glad you found us.
>
> It was actually a blessing that you got diagnosed. You'd probably been diabetic for quite a while, which is actually pretty typical for type 2s, who often walk around with high glucose sometimes for years, undiagnosed, while their small blood vessels and nerves go to hell in a handcar. So keep your eyes on the prize, and count your lucky stars you went for testing and found out, so you can make your way back to where you need to be.
>
> <<...so they started me on 500mg of metformin 2x a day>>
>
> When do you see the doc again? He might increase this dose, or add a hypoglycemic med (one that will stimulate your pancreas to make and release more insulin), if warranted (time will tell).
>
> <<and I began completely redoing my life style <snip> I lost 11 lbs the first 4 weeks,but its slowed to 1-2 lbs a week since>>
>
> You've made good progress with that. A weight loss of (by my calculations) nearly 15 pounds in 6 weeks is nothing to sneeze at! You pooh poohed it later on in your post, said that was slow, etc, but it's not; it's actually over 2 pounds a week average, and that's not slow. I don't know how much weight you have to lose, but you WILL get there; it really does add up, month after month, if you stay the course. You didn't gain an extra 100 pounds in 3 months, and it's not gonna come off any faster than it went on, for sure.
>
> <snip> giving up all the foods i loved>>
>
> Which can be a real mistake. I mean, anyone can give up anything (or everything, for that matter) short term, but when you look down the long road of the rest of your life, it can be pretty depressing to think you'll never have a slice of your own birthday cake again. Most of us long-timers have had to find a balance between constant self-denial and allowing a small indulgence maybe once a week or so, just to stay sane. Everyone's different, everyone has a different set of "musts" that they adhere to, but I'll tell you, it's what you do 6.75 days a week that matters much more than what you have to force yourself into, gritting your teeth all the way, 7 days a week, that will get you into the good control you want and help you stay there.
>
> But it's early days for you, so your first line of "musts" really does include taking your meds on time, doing your best to keep losing that 1-2 pounds a week, testing a few times a day and keeping a written log of the results to show your doc, and keeping your medical appointments. Then you'll know you're doing all you can for now.
>
> <<for unnoticable gains>>
>
> You went from over 400 to sometimes seeing 120, and those are unnoticeable gains? *puzzles* You need to srsly rethink this. Aren't you being a bit hard on yourself?
>
> <<...how long does it take to start getting used to this,and quit being POed about being sick...Im looking forward to learning from you all,thanks,Dave>>
>
> You never get used to it, but you do become accustomed to it. You must wear your diabetes as a part of yourself now, which is part of dealing with any chronic condition. It's never going away, no matter how much you wish and pray and hope, so you have to learn to live with the thing without allowing it to rule your life. You should eventually be less POed as you start to feel better and get more on top of it. Some people (personality types, whatever) are prone to depression, so if that continues to be a problem, you can get help for that, too.
>
> Please let us know how you're doing.
>
> Judy D.
>

 
4d.

Re: HI Im new.....

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:35 pm (PST)



David writes:

<<So they ran a bunch of blood work and the one
that looks at BG for a long period came back at 9.6>>

That's the Hb (Hemoglobin) A1C (and don't ask me
what that part stands for, I haven't a clue :)
9.6 is pretty high, but not atmospheric. I bet
your next A1C will be *much* better!

<< I began completely redoing my life style,from 1
huge meal a day to 6 tiny ones ,and cut out all
added sugar,potatoes,carrots,corn etc ,currently
doing the high protien /low carb and sugars thing.>>

Way to go! Pat yourself on the back for facing
the changes needed and DOING it!

<<my sugar is staying under 200,usually under 180
and mostly down around 120.>>

Fantastic! You have a lot of progress to report! :)

<<For me right now the hard part is the
"depression" feeling from extremely slow gain,I
have a good 3-4 days never get past 130 even in
the morning or after meals,run in the mid 110's
and then doing the exact same thing Im having
130-180 days,>>

Are you writing down everything you eat, and
whatever exercise you manage to do? Over *time*
(dang, why does it have to take patience and time?
I want to know how to make it work *today*! :)
you will begin to see patterns that explain why
some days your BG spikes like that. For example,
you might find that on the days you eat "X", your
BG is higher afterwards. Or if you have days you
miss your exercise, you go higher. Or both.

<<and still adapting to the complete lifestyle
change,and giving up all the foods i loved for
unnoticable gains>>

Let's see.... your BGs are nearly down in the
normal range most of the time... you've lost a
significant amount of weight in a short period of
time... you've been changing your whole lifestyle
to accommodate this diagnosis.... Those are
unnoticeable gains? :)

Giving up the foods you love is the pits, I agree.
And this time of year makes it harder for many
of us. It takes time to adapt, to realize that
keeping your BGs down makes you feel *a lot*
better, and that makes it worth not having those
foods. Most of the time, at least :)

<<...how long does it take to start getting used
to this,and quit being POed about being sick>>

It's quite normal to feel angry at having a
life-threatening illness diagnosed, so don't kick
yourself about it! But keep an eye on those
feelings. If you become so resentful you say to
yourself "To h*** with it, I'm gonna eat that
anyway!" or "Why should I bother taking my meds
when they don't make my BGs as good as I want?",
then you could be asking for big trouble.

It takes time to get used to the new way of eating
and living. Some of us get over it faster than
others; in my case, I wasn't surprised by my
diagnosis, and was relieved to get the disease
finally under medical care, so there wasn't much
anger. But resentment can still trip me up from
time to time. When I "do everything right" and
have unexpected high numbers, that can make it
extra hard to stick with my goals - and sometimes
I give in for a bit :) Fortunately for me, giving
in even a little makes me feel quite yucky, so
there's plenty of motivation to get me back on the
wagon!

If you feel the anger and/or depression is
interfering with your ability and willingness to
manage your diabetes, then do consider getting
counseling. Many do, and it can really, truly
help you cope. You can also vent here - we all of
us do that from time to time :) This is a safe
place to grouse, grumble, and groan. It's also a
place to celebrate success! We all understand how
great it is to drop the A1C even a little, for
example, whereas you have to explain it to others
before they get it, and they might not even then.

On the weight loss... try to be patient, though I
know it's hard when the medical people are all
saying you've got to lose weight to get healthy
and control your diabetes. What *I* found was I
lost weight by getting my BGs down through
low-carbing and exercise. It was an unplanned,
but very welcome side-effect of what I most needed
to do: control my BGs. I'd like to suggest you
make that your priority, not weight loss. Test
around your meals to find out what spikes your BGs
and what doesn't, tailor your food to accommodate
your BGs, and slowly work up your exercise to
whatever level you're comfortable with.

And, when you do weigh yourself, please try to be
patient :) A loss of 1 pound a week is considered
healthy and sustainable. Faster often occurs
early on, but losing too fast over the long haul
can lead to yo-yo dieting - lose a bunch, then eat
too much in celebration or as reward, and then
gain it back, plus some. NOT a pretty picture!

<<(who'd have thunk you can eat too little to lose
weight,defies logic)>>

There's a lot we don't know about metabolism, but
I've read many times that if you eat too little
your metabolism thinks you're starving, and slows
way down to conserve your energy and calories.
When you think about it that way, it makes good
logic - has helped humans survive periods of
famine for millennia :)

Hang in there, Dave! You're actually doing great!
It's hard when you don't yet have hard stuff to
point at for progress, but your next A1C will
probably be significantly lower as your BGs are
already trending *way* down. Try writing
everything down, then look it over once a month.
That'll show progress for sure :)

Holly in MI

 
4e.

Re: HI Im new.....

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:13 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "DavidF" <deslotgod@...> wrote: <snip>who'd have thunk you can eat too little to lose weight,defies logic>>

It actually makes perfect sense to your body, which only wants to keep you alive; after all, it has no idea if you've been thrown in prison and are being tortured with a bread and water diet or what the heck is going on. So below a certain calorie level (about 1000-1200 for a woman, 1300-1500 for a man, I think) the metabolism starts putting on a non-cooperative face and hoarding calories. Lower calorie levels than that are possible in a weight loss program, but to do it safely, they require medical supervision.
Judy D.

 
5a.

My Sugar Level

Posted by: "Faye Ridpath" ispgypsy@gmail.com   mommy2marcella

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:23 am (PST)



Hi everyone!

I have been feeling very shaky today so I tested but my sugar reading was
87. That's still normal right? So I don't want to treat it like a low since
it's not, but I am wondering what to do to get rid of the shaky feeling? I
was 119 when I took my first wake up reading.

Yesterday I did have a low though, it got down to 56.

~~~Faye~~~
 
5b.

Re: My Sugar Level

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:01 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Faye Ridpath <ispgypsy@...> wrote:I have been feeling very shaky today so I tested but my sugar reading was 87. That's still normal right? So I don't want to treat it like a low since it's not, but I am wondering what to do to get rid of the shaky feeling? I was 119 when I took my first wake up reading. Yesterday I did have a low though, it got down to 56>>

Hi, Faye. You taking insulin or a hypoglycemic drug? If so, keep up the testing, don't skip meals and snacks, and make sure to not only eat on time but eat enough. If the lows continue to be a problem, do talk to your doctor about it.

Glucose tablets can make you feel better if you're shaky at anything under 100 or so. Check the label to see how many add up to 15 grams of carbs (it's usually 3 or 4) and just chew those up, drinking a few ounces of water along with, and in 15-30 minutes or so, retest. See if that helps. The advantage of glucose tabs instead of food is that you won't be tempted to eat too much-- they don't taste that good. <G>

And as I said, do pick up the phone and talk to your doc if this is an ongoing problem.

Judy D.

 
5c.

Re: My Sugar Level

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:18 pm (PST)



The orange and grape ones are very tasty. Some of the others are so bad, one might be tempted to just go ahead and expire from a low...

----- Original Message -----
From: Jude
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 3:59 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: My Sugar Level

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Faye Ridpath <ispgypsy@...> wrote:I have been feeling very shaky today so I tested but my sugar reading was 87. That's still normal right? So I don't want to treat it like a low since it's not, but I am wondering what to do to get rid of the shaky feeling? I was 119 when I took my first wake up reading. Yesterday I did have a low though, it got down to 56>>

Hi, Faye. You taking insulin or a hypoglycemic drug? If so, keep up the testing, don't skip meals and snacks, and make sure to not only eat on time but eat enough. If the lows continue to be a problem, do talk to your doctor about it.

Glucose tablets can make you feel better if you're shaky at anything under 100 or so. Check the label to see how many add up to 15 grams of carbs (it's usually 3 or 4) and just chew those up, drinking a few ounces of water along with, and in 15-30 minutes or so, retest. See if that helps. The advantage of glucose tabs instead of food is that you won't be tempted to eat too much-- they don't taste that good. <G>

And as I said, do pick up the phone and talk to your doc if this is an ongoing problem.

Judy D.

 
6.

Good insulin injection

Posted by: "Amal" amal_mba10@yahoo.com   amal_mba10

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:31 am (PST)

7a.

glucose high after breakfast

Posted by: "Barb H." barbhealth2008@yahoo.com   barbhealth2008

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:59 pm (PST)



Hi All:

well.... my numbers had been really normal and so I thought everything was fine, but then the reading a few hours after breakfast was really high!

So... I'm back to doing frequent glucose readings!

Wish me luck!

How have everyone else's readings been going?

Barb

 
7b.

Re: glucose high after breakfast

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:42 pm (PST)



Barb writes:

<<my numbers had been really normal and so I
thought everything was fine, but then the reading
a few hours after breakfast was really high!>>

Were you able to figure out why? I know I get
super-frustrated when I can't figure out why my
numbers are higher than I think they "should" be.

<<I'm back to doing frequent glucose readings!>>

Way to go! It's always great to hear of someone
willing to face facts through BG testing :)

<<Wish me luck!>>

Nope, but I'll wish you continued determination
and grit!

<<How have everyone else's readings been going?>>

Mine have actually been lower than expected, which
is kind of strange and I hardly know how to deal
with it. Will take a wait-and-see attitude rather
than freak. I find myself hoping I've turned some
sort of corner that will let me eat more carbs,
but I know better than that, really, and so will
watch out I don't fall into that trap, especially
*this* week :)

Holly in MI

 
8a.

Re: Where to find B D pen needles at a decent price

Posted by: "Tiamat" tiamat99@comcast.net   lulamoon99

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 pm (PST)




Does your mom have insurance? Also does she get Social Security...? By law diabetic supplies should be free to her. You might check this to be sure. I know all my dm supplies are free, through my HMO...which gets money taken [deducted] from my Soc Secur payments.

Tiamat

----- "Emma Jean S" <emmajean.smith@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,
> My 71 year old mother is having issues with her byetta needles. It seems she takes the meds ok but getting the needle off (she uses leader generic brand 31 guage mini 1/4"). the needle pokes through the side of the plastic holder and pokes her in the finger.
>
> Thanks in advance Emmajean

,_._,___
9a.

Re: Wine impact on BG (???)

Posted by: "hhoq8x54b" hhoq8x54b@yahoo.com   hhoq8x54b

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:40 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "jm04161955" <jm04161955@...> wrote:
>
> --- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Jude" <peridotjude@> wrote:
> >
> > Alcohol is a drug, a poison, and not food, and so is not metabolized
> > as food.
>
> Um, a *poison*? Isn't that a bit extreme? There is nothing wrong with enjoying a glass or two of wine with dinner, it's the extremes that many people, diabetic or not, take it to that result in this sort of thinking and this sort of statement. I drink two glasses of wine
> JoAnne
>
Research shows red wine (maybe 6oz/day is good for ya), although
I personally don't ever drink any alcohol.

 
10.1.

Re: no easy answers

Posted by: "Tiamat" tiamat99@comcast.net   lulamoon99

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:22 pm (PST)



I said once before , long ago, that I *never* disagree with Jude, but here sadly is the second time, so with all love and respect...regretfully, I must say:

We all have deep psychological issues, and there's not much evidence that those came before the overweight or the overweight is now also a causal factor. If those people you mentioned became normal weight, would they still have the 'deep issues?

People all over the world, where food is available, are becoming overweight, including the children, [and the dogs].

If 'problems' were a major factor then surely people during the Depression and WWII should all have been walking balloons. People in concentration camps and those in famine bound areas are not obese, despite any emotional problems, which were/are, overwhelming in those groups.

People who have gone to counseling and done work on their 'problems' may still be overweight, including the counselor.

Are all overweight Native Americans, Inuit, Hawaiians, Tahitians etc. and their children, emotional cases? Why weren't they fat on their native diets, wasn't life just as hard? didn't they have emotional probs then too?
Even our dogs/cats are fat!

Yes on genetic and hormonal and yes on physiological factors and yes mb on brain chemistry...a better direction to pursue IMO than what?? everybody to counseling??

Yes emotional probs cause stress-->stress hormones-->adrenaline-->insulin-->lowers bg-->hunger-->eating [esp fast carbs]-->addiction
but the bottom line is always physiology.

Carbs and esp fast carbs are much cheaper than protein and so poorer folk can get more calories and feed more people for the least amount of money...and they also get fatter on that diet..and set off the whole potential dm sequence.

We have seen that really grossly overweight people, have been hospitalized and with a controlled diet and incremental exercise have lost weight.

The emotional stress or deep psycholgical issues are not *causing* the obesity...it is what people choose to do about their stress. Eating to cope with stress now produces another problem-->overweight. So that cycle has to be stopped.
It's the same with alcoholics/addicts who want to spend [long] time to find out 'WHY they drink' [smoke, gamble, take drugs] and keep drinking etc. in the meantime. The way out for addicts is to STOP, then we can talk about the problems. At least a large part of the prob would have gone away: the obesity and all the negative stuff it carries: poor health, low energy, damaged self-image, chronic feel bad about oneself.

I'm for counseling! I recommend it! I had a long career in it...But what is the proposal? Counseling for billions of fat people? and the children? <sigh>
Mb counselors are cheering but I don't think it's the real way to go. It's not the real issue.

Over 90 million people in India have asthma...once thought to be psychological-->a result of 'smothering mothers'. Can they all get counseling? Mb it's the pollution?? Ya think??

Tiamat

----- "Jude" <peridotjude@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com , "Samor" <samorfla@...> wrote:
> <snip> i know weight (and weight loss) is a very personal and sensitive topic. i also know that some people face more challenges than others. and there are genetic/hormonal issues involved>>
>
> Huh. There are also psychological, social, and emotional issues involved.
>
> In my own personal experience, and from what I can see with my own two eyes in my family members, I've observed that anyone who is massively obese (100, 200, 300+ pounds overweight) has deep psychological issues. Telling someone like that to buck up, take the "problem" in small increments, easy does it, one day at a time, etc, is bloody useless. We need our heads examined, on top of aggressive medical care, and even then, it's an uphill (or downhill, however you choose to see it) battle.

> Judy D.

>
...

[Message clipped]  

No comments:

Post a Comment