1 2 3

Friday, December 4, 2009

options for cholesterol when talking to PCP

Hi, I have my 90 day appt with my PCP for my DM tests. Had 4 done
lipoprotein panel
fast BG
A1c
Vit D

I got the lipoprotein back and it is the same as it was in August with
moveming of literally 2pts in one or two areas. No movement better and no
movement to worse numbers.

[image:
?ui=2&view=att&th=125521330023cc43&attid=0.1&disp=attd&realattid=ii_125521330023cc43&zw]
I am wondering what my best options are for discussing alternatives to
statins, which I think she will bring up when my numbers are not moving.
Any suggestions?

Michelle
in seattle
usa

Hi, I don't know if my experience is of any help to you at all but I just got my blood test results back and discussed them with my doctor yesterday. Now I am totally diet controlled, I don't take any medication for DM.

My results are considered OK but cholesterol is, as usual a cause for concern.

My Ha1C was 6.0 in March 2008, then 5.8 in October 2008, 6.00 again in June 2009 and November 2009 once again 5.8 so it obvious that working on keeping my BG numbers down is the route with this one. I have kept a detailed chart for the past 2 months which I think helps to keep me focused.

The lipid studies give Total cholesterol (calculated) over the same dates as 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7. (I don't have the March 2008 on this one).
Total Cholesterol HDL ration is 5.2, 4.6 and 4.8 (they want <5.00) so on the service this looks OK.
Total Cholesterol is 5.2, 5.5, and 5.7 (<5.5 is the required amount and my doctor says that for a diabetic they would like it nearer to 4) So the report concludes that hypercholesterolemia persists. Target levels in diabetes are total cholesterol <4.00mmol/L, LDL ,2.0 mmol?L, HDL .1.0 mmol/L and triglycerides <1.5 mmol/L

So clearly I have work to do. The doctor said that he could offer medication but preferred not to at this stage (so do I) and suggested I take Fish oil capsules.

Now my skin is drier than I would like and drinking more water hasn't helped so I did figure that fish oil was my next option. I don't think I get enough fat in my diet actually. He said that we just don't have a good range of oily fish available here so the capsules are a better option. He feels that blood tests in 6 months time will be OK given my level of control so it will be 6 months before I can tell you if the fish oil lowers the cholesterol (that is if I can train myself to remember to take them.I do have them in the house I just never remember to take them. I am trying to force myself to stand at the sink when the tap is running, so it is just one more task I have to focus on I suppose)

I will soon be able to tell if my skin is less dry if these capsules help. I even noticed potential wrinkles on my face and I am used to an English skin which doesn't spend much time in the sun so is normally crease free. My mother had very few wrinkles at 87.

Jean in S. Australia..

Posted by: "jean and terry"

No comments:

Post a Comment