1 2 3

Friday, December 4, 2009

New and scared

Hi Kristy, and welcome.
You've gotten great advice, as did I when I first came here in May, with my own new diagnosis of T2 diabetes. Oddly, I wasn't scared but motivated by this. I think I've known for years that "someday" I'd have to address my issues with weight, exercise and general health. Well, here it was. I bought all the same supplements you did, but have discontinued some, and kept some. I take 500 mgs of metformin a day, and I'm 55.
Books were actually a problem for me. I read too many too quickly, I think. I found lots of contradictory information, and still don't understand it very well. I've learned how to handle it better, and not expect a blanket solution. I've changed my life a good deal, but it hasn't been very hard. I think I'll be able to continue this, but my way is not for everyone. For me, it includes low carb eating ( no "whites", and no grain at all) and regular exercise, and so far, so good. I've lost weight, and I really do feel better. I can do things that I haven't been confortable with for years.
So, read the books, look around online, and then ask questions. I wasn't able to find a local group or diabetes educator, but it would be great if you could. If not, we're here, and there are so very knowledgable, and more important, kind, people here.

Best of luck,

Margo

Welcome to the group Kristy. Remember the greatest thing we have to fear is fear itself. Please ask your doctor what your A1C was when you were diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. The A1C tells what your average Blood Glucose was for the previous 90 days.

Major elements to diabetes control are blood glucose testing, diet, medication and exercise. Did your doctor tell you that with weight loss of 10% or more and using a low carbohydrate diet along with
daily exercise you have a chance of ending your Type 2 Diabetes?

Many communities have Type 2 Diabetes exercise groups. Just read an
ad looking for someone to lead the exercise program for just such a group in Minneapolis. Exercise is recommended no less than five days a
week for 30 minutes a day. The type of exercise is up to you, your
doctor, and your support group of exercisers.

Our emotional state is another major factor involved in controlling diabetes. Stress raises your blood sugar. Learn relaxation techniques. Take the time off to learn from a nutritionists what diet is healthiest for you and diet with a support group of people on similar diets.

You are not alone. You need to start controlling your diabetic condition as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Tim who is Type 1

No comments:

Post a Comment