1 2 3

Sunday, December 6, 2009

ABT peanut butter

Randall wrote;"if you guys are getting away with this then why am I as a T-2 not able to eat this stuff? If you can get away with eating like a person without diabetes then why are you posting here? Most of us could never eat a bagel or crackers, well maybe Rye Vita occasionally. Maybe I'm over reacting but I hate reading this stuff. Show me a diabetes recipe book that allows bagels and I'll show you a book written by someone who doesn't care about your health."

Maybe because everyone is "different". Many diabetic diet guidelines include the things you mention, and I would assume it works for some people. It doesn't for me, but that's my problem. I know other T2 diabetics who are able to eat much differently that I can, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it. They have sandwiches, whole wheat pasta and servings of potatoes. I can't "do" any of that. Why should that mean that people who CAN should be banned from posting?
I've found ways to get by. I "substitute" things I can eat for those I can't. I often have a "muffin" for breakfast that's made from flaxseed meal and egg. Is it the same as a "real" muffin? Of course not, but it gets me by, and doesn't screw up my BG. I even made it without sweetener, and used it as a sort of "stuffing" to go with my TDay turkey and sugar free cranberry sauce.
I understand that not all T2 diabetes is caused by an unfortunate lifestyle, but in my case, I think it was a big part. Will I be able to resume that lifestyle in the future, should I go into "remission" or be "cured"? Of course not, I'm convinced that's what brought it on in the first place. I've changed a lot, and it's made a difference. The probable genetic predisposition to diabetes will alwasy be there, and now (IMHO) has been"triggered". It won't go away agian.
I'm taking metformin (500 mgs sid), but i don't know how much difference it really made. I was told to start with that, and never got the message that I should increase it. When I was told I should have, It was decided that I didn't need to, since my A1c had dropped to 6.2 on that dose. They didn't seem to care about my weightloss (over 10%) or lifestyle changes, just attributed it to the drug, even at the "wrong" dose. So, why have my BG reading continued to drop during the subsequent months, without increasing drug dosing?
My next visit will be in January, and at that time i'll ask if I can discontinue the med. Wioll that mean I'm cured? Nope. not to me. Just controlled by my own action and awareness.

Margo

No comments:

Post a Comment