1 2 3

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

shakes, first major bout

Yesterday I had my first bout of the shakes. We had our usual Sunday morning routine but by the time we got home from church and grocery shopping, I was beginning to feel very strongly that I needed to grab anything and eat. That progresses in minutes to "I HAVE to get something to eat and N O W!" I felt shaky inside and out as well as panicky about getting food. I had a quick lunch and it settled down. Never want to repeat that episode. Looking back, I know that at some point I should have checked my sugar, but getting food in me was a panic and checking numbers never crossed my mind. After that, I carried a bottle of juice and a banana with me the rest of the day since I had to be away. How would others have handled this situation and what should I do in the future? Any ideas?
God bless,
ott

Do you take insulin or a medication to make your pancreas release more insulin? If so, your meter needs to be nearby and regularly used. It's way better to "see 'er coming", as they say, than to try to rein those horses in once they're galloping away with you.

It's important, too, to eat on time. Any delay of an hour or more especially might result in shakiness. Remember, it's not safe to drive or operate machinery if you get like that, so no driving yourself home or anything. Test, treat, re-test, and proceed only when it's safe to do so.

Carry glucose tablets. 3 or 4 of those, chewed up with a few swigs of water, would have made you feel better. You can buy them in portable rolls like big lifesavers-- check in your pharmacy.

If this becomes a pattern with you, remember the advantages of planned snacking, using a part of your daily calories to plan snacks for mid-morning and mid-afternoon and maybe bedtime.

~BK~

No comments:

Post a Comment