1 2 3

Sunday, December 6, 2009

cause BG high

At 8:30 i ate breakfast of corn tortilla, eggs and cheese. At 11 my bg was
7. Decided to check it again at 11:52 and it was 130. I've had nothing to
at since breakfast. I'm on no meds. What would cause this and is this
ormal?

Therese,
Normal? No not really!

The first thing to consider is your meter. Our meters typically have an accuracy specification of +/- 20%, so if your bg was really 120mg/dl when your meter read 97mg/dl and was still 120mg/dl when you read 130mg/dl, both those variations are well within "spec's"!!!
When we get a bg number that we can't explain, or are confused about, I recommend that we re-test and see if we get a consistent result with the questionable number.
How would you like the speedometer on your car to be +/-20%? Would the traffic officer that pulled you over for speeding take that as an excuse?
On the list you will frequently see posts bemoaning the inaccuracy of our meters but we're shouting into a black hole, IMHO!
That said, some meters are better than others. I take my meters with me when I have lab-work done to check them out, but that's just me.

Secondly, is there any possibility that between 11:00 & 11:52 that you handled some food that could have contaminated the spot where you took your blood sample? I always wash my hands before testing (in warm/hot water to stimulate bloodflow) just to be sure I haven't done something that will give me a flaky test number. Yes, I've done that in the dim-dark past and have spent some extra strips sorting out my mistake.

Third, perhaps your body didn't perceive that the small breakfast you ate was enough to provide the amount of bg that it "thinks" it needs, so your "helpful liver" did a "dump" to help out. As diabetics part of our problem is that our bg control mechanism is defective, so things happen that wouldn't happen to a non-diabetic. Sometimes too much insulin for the situation. Sometimes too much glucose dumped by our liver.

Fourth, as someone else mentioned, if you've had diabetes a long time with mediocre or poor bg control, it's possible that you have gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying) and the carbs in that tortilla got into your blood later than you might have expected. The fat in the cheese would also cause a delayed carb response. Both these factors are somewhat unpredicable.

Bottom line is that you need to do some more testing than just one example to see if this is a consistent way your body responds. This is why we recommend keeping a log of what's eaten, exercise done & all bg readings so that we can look back and make correlations of what's working & what's not.

HTH,
Roger, T2, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment