1 2 3

Monday, December 7, 2009

Diabetic Medical Alert ID to wear

I am not sure about other radiographic procedures, but heart angiograms are that way. I believe they discontinue Metformin for a couple of (few?) days before giving you the radio opaque contrast material. Since hell will freeze over before I allow an angiogram, I do not worry too much about that. Those dyes also have a nasty habit of invoking dangerous allergic reactions and damaging the kidneys. Invasive cardiologists almost never explain the dangers fully, and hence informed consent is rare with these procedures.

By the way, oprhamalogists used to do their own version of an angiogram with fluorescein dye injected IV. The retina was then illuminated and photographed under ultra violet light to quantify vessel leakage (fluorescein fluoresces nicely under black light). Bad allergic reactions were rare, but did happen once in awhile. These angiograms were considered the gold standard for macular edema evaluation (diabetic retinopathy severity evaluation). The procedure has been made obsolete with a nifty new imaging technology that involves no injections. If you are asked to undergo a test to evaluate diabetic retinopathy / macular edema that involves a dye injection, it is time to find an ophthalmologist with up-to-date equipment.

Syd

I have been wearing a medic alert braclett every sence i found out that i was a type 2 diabetic. Even just taking the pills alone. I am now a type 2 on an pump and i need to have it so the doctors know that im incilin dependent. I have had a few time that EMT have had to look at it. It has been a life saver. Now with all my medical history people are aware of what to look for when they look at my braclett. I think its a good idea for any diabetic to get one and wear it. It may just save your life someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment