1 2 3

Friday, December 4, 2009

Blood Glucose Levels

I don't like to think of it as slavery (I've been at this for over three decades, which would be a long, long time to spend in chains, you know?) but as more of an enforced consciousness-- none of us can afford to just breeze through our dietary-exercise-medication days anymore without a care in the world.

What we need to do for our own self-care (no one can or will do it for us, after all) is just apply a little awareness and quality decision-making to what food we buy and what food we choose to put in our mouths. I doubt I spend more than 10 or 15 extra minutes a day on testing 4 or 5 times, taking 5-6 insulin injections, and swallowing two pills, and I find it easy to pick and choose from available foods, in order to stay within my own dietary goals.

So IMO we can choose to consider it slavery, or we can determine to remember it a) doesn't take that much time out of our days and b) good self-care just might help us arrive at the end of our lives with intact legs and feet, two working kidneys, and two healthy eyes.

Judy D.

One has to make the "new" life style a part of their being, with no looking back.
To look back and continue to desire and eat those things that were in the old life
cause the numbers to remain where we wish they were not...high. It is a mindset
that makes the dieting easier on you. I recall the limbless and institutionalised amputees
on dialysis. That mind picture makes me remember that I do not wish to be one of
those people. I do not wish to be there simply because I chose to not accept the
"new" eating requisites.
We have to first accept our diagnosis, then set our minds to educating ourselves
and making it a practice to be aware of our 'numbers' at all times. Once we begin the
process of learning about diabetes we can put that education into practice.
You are there. You are here in a diabetic forum learning about your diagnosis. You
have accepted the diagnosis and have begun to question how you are doing as you
see others post on how they are doing. Congratulations and continue to grow in your
knowledge of diabetes and you.
God bless,
ott

I guess I am in not too good a-shape! I don't ever remember testing under the 100 mark! I thought my diet was pretty good, but guess that needs to be adjusted. I have a rough time being a slave to counting carbs and eating nothing but vegies, which it seems like will be necessary to maintain a low blood sugar. Frustrating to have so little control over our lives...
Posted by: "ott chip"

No comments:

Post a Comment