1 2 3

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

[diabetes] Digest Number 9129

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: cinnamon

Posted by: "Valma B" Valmr2@yahoo.com   valmr2

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:31 am (PST)



I have heard and have read on Dr. Oz's website that as little as 1/2 tsp a day of cinnamon helps improve blood glucose and has other benefits (lowering cholesterol) as well.
Val

2a.

Just joined from Wisconsin and frustraited

Posted by: "faustalynn1" faustalynn1@yahoo.com   faustalynn1

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:57 pm (PST)



Hello all-

I just joined the group. thank you for accepting my application.

My Name is Faustalynn, I'm a T-2 diabetic since Sept. 1998. I'm on Metformin Er 500mg/2x/day as well as Humalog of a base and scale with meals. I'm also on Lantus 18-20 units/night.

My numbers have been up into the 300's this past week because I'm suffering from depression because I lost my Mom the end of July this year and Dad in Oct. 2008 it's been very hard doing all this without them. I also have not been feeling well past couple of days and been sleeping alot. Today is a better day and my numbers have dropped a little over 100 points today and am in the low 200's right now. I get very frustraited with it all and some days feel like giving up. But the thought of my 4 Grandsons-12,7,6 and 3 snap me back into reality.

I'm Mom of 1 son and Grandma of 4 boys. I enjoy cooking and baking, baseball, car races, jig-saw puzzles and some crafting. I'm thinking about starting a new hobby that I have always wanted to do...I never had and always wanted a dollhouse. So I think I will check into getting started with it. I'm on disability and live in a low income highrise and can't get out sometimes and need something to occupy my time and days when the arthritis in my back and knees is acting up.

Hope everyone is keeping warm and haveing a great evening.

Faustalynn

2b.

Re: Just joined from Wisconsin and frustraited

Posted by: "BK" kinney49@yahoo.com   kinney49

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:01 pm (PST)



--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "faustalynn1" <faustalynn1@...> wrote: I just joined the group. thank you for accepting my application.My Name is Faustalynn, I'm a T-2 diabetic since Sept. 1998. I'm on Metformin Er 500mg/2x/day as well as Humalog of a base and scale with meals. I'm also on Lantus 18-20 units/night. My numbers have been up into the 300's this past week because I'm suffering from depression because I lost my Mom the end of July this year and Dad in Oct. 2008 it's been very hard doing all this without them>>

Welcome to the group. We're happy you're here, but I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your diabetes.

As you know, depression alone can't make your glucose levels rise, but if you "treat" your depression with food, and feel too down to go for a walk every day or something, sure, up go the numbers.

Faustalynn, is it time for you to see your doctor? Please don't let this continue too much longer without checking with the doc about how to change your self-care to get better control. Your Lantus dose is quite small, and you could certainly take more metformin. Not sure how much Humalog you're taking, but you should be able to adjust that to somewhat cover what you eat, as long as you're not turning to junk food too often.

Please let us know how you're doing.

~BK~

3.

Monday into Tuesday adventure....

Posted by: "Anne R" aemr911@gmail.com   aemr911

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:57 pm (PST)



Hi All,

It has been quite the 24 hours so. If this seems like rambling at any
point forgive me please, it has been a LONG day!!

Everything started out pretty good on Monday morning. Went to the doctor
like I was supposed to, not too many problems there. Someone in the waiting
room at the doctors office had on a barrel of perfume which set my allergies
off so out came my oxygen at full blast, the Benadryl 100mg PO and
Epinephrine 0.3mg SubQ, but didn't require an ER visit, so I can live with
that.

On my way home, I got roped into taking my friend's teenage daughter to the
Mall of America after dropping my Mom & the dogs off at home in Apple
Valley, no problems there.
Stopped at home to unload all our Xmas presents from the truck and pick up
my Mom and packing all her stuff back into my truck, went to Stone Mountain
Pet Lodge to pick up Dixie and Daisy ($190+ for the 4.5 days they were
there... thankfully we got 50% of the regular rate as a former employee
discount from Terry's job he is laid off from, otherwise it would have been
in excess of $400). Drove to Apple Valley, to find that although the
association was nice enough to shovel part of Mom's walk beyond the fenced
in yard, they did do all the way to the door and they didn't shut the gate
again after shoveling so it was frozen open... that doesn't work well when
the dogs can let themselves out their dog door to go potty, Daisy wouldn't
run away, but Dixie would. So between Amber & I it took well over 45
minutes to break up enough of the ice and snow and such to get it to close
MOST but not all the way (was only a couple of inches open when we left
instead of wide open).
Went into the Mall of America carrying my oxygen bag, no problems there (my
back didn't even break even though we couldn't find a cart to put the lovely
roughly 40 lbs O2 bag on... minor miracle in itself!).

Terry has been sick in bed since Xmas Day night with a cold and just not
feeling good. He basically didn't get out of bed at all Saturday or Sunday.
Did make it to the couch today I guess while I was out driving around the
twin cities, but not real active and lots of chills. He had a temp of 103.?
yesterday, but it came down with Tylenol so I didn't worry too much....

On our way home I called home from Target to see if Terry needed anything on
our way home besides milk. Nope, but then he called back to say he needed
Tylenol because his temp was 103.5 for the 2nd day in a row... problem!
As some of you may know, my husband has a HUGE heart defect that he has had
to have surgery on 3 times (age 2, 13, and 33 *most extensive surgery*) so
him having a temp that high more than once is NOT a good thing. So I told
him to get dressed and that I was taking him to the U of M ER (he has had
all his heart surgeries and such at the University of Minnesota Hospitals).
He hemmed and hawed about not having insurance and such but I told him I
would rather have a hospital bill to pay than not have him and that if I had
to, I would take him kicking and screaming but that he WAS GOING! Don't
mess with the paramedic, you will ALWAYS lose! Arranged to have my friend
keep our daughter so she wouldn't have to go to the hospital with us and be
bored to death! So she is sleeping over at a friends house tonight... thank
goodness for Xmas break and great friends!
Got to the hospital, got him back into a cardiac room in the ER where they
drew blood cultures, started an IV, etc. Xray lady came to take him to
Xray for his chest Xray... she was wearing perfume by the gallon and set my
allergies off but good. So I ended up having to go out to register to be a
patient too so they could treat my allergic reaction... did NOT make for a
happy camper as you can imagine.

Terry comes back from Xray, and I am not there... whatever, no big surprise
really.. although all my stuff was still there! Turns out he has pneumonia
and has to be started on at least 3 different hard core IV antibiotics.
They aren't sure if it is aspiration pneumonia from him having a paralyzed
vocal cord from his last heart surgery (he was intubated for over 24 hours
following surgery, and this is a possible side effect of prolonged
intubation). But so he is admitted to the Medicine unit, where I was for
quite awhile a few years ago when I was going through all the irrigation &
debridements of my legs and skin grafts to follow... so we get up there and
the nurses remember me being there and our beautiful little girl that used
to come visit all the time. They were going to put him into a room with
another patient but I begged for a single room because otherwise I wouldn't
be able to come visit him with all my allergies, and the room mate he would
have had, was not happy to have a roommate that is for sure. Out of pity
for me or whatever they put in a double room by himself.
I am finally home after having to go to the 24 hour pharmacy that is like 15
miles from our house at least to get my updated prescription of MORE
STEROIDS... so much for tapering down, so far I have had 100mg of prednisone
for Monday, and am back up to 40mg twice daily for 5 more days, then start
the taper again hopefully. Thankfully my endocrinologist gave me more NPH
than I would need for my current steroids, I am sure I will be on them
forever at this rate. My current blood glucose is 192, but I am sure it
will go up some more before my next dose of metformin, glimepride, and NPH
insulin in the morning... or whenever I wake up if I get to go to sleep
anytime soon. I don't sleep well any way due to insomnia secondary to ptss
due to an attempted homicide in June 1997, but then add huge doses of
steroids especially at night and then I don't sleep until I pass out from
exhaustion... fun fun!
I am wide awake but exhausted and hungry. So not sure if my meds and such
are going to let me sleep tonight or not. Personally I am just glad to be
home finally, I figure with all the driving around I did today, I put at
least 200 miles on my truck.

I told Terry I might come pick him up tomorrow (Tuesday), otherwise maybe
his parents will want to go get him... I doubt it, it is too far to drive or
some other BS excuse they can come up with!

I am off to eat something, the steroids are making me feel icky. I wish I
could just give them to myself by shot instead of orally, but they won't go
for that due to my leg wounds... annoying!

I hope I haven't bored anyone to death yet, and that this made at least a
little sense. I have been up for more than 20 hours now I think, so blame
that if it doesn't completely make sense...

Chat soon!
Anne

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4.1.

Re: Update

Posted by: "Anne R" aemr911@gmail.com   aemr911

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:58 pm (PST)



Now Now!! I was kind of feeling the same way about the whole cinnamon
thing, that one person mentioned it and another person had to say it was all
wrong, but I think this has gone too far because now feelings are being hurt
and that isn't right.

I hope this subject can just be dropped and no one else's feelings get hurt
about a simple comment.

I personally take cinnamon twice a day, my endocrinologist and my primary
care doctors know about it and don't have a problem with it, and I figure
that it can't hurt me, and they didn't tell me to stop so I'll continue with
it.

As for the sleeping with your head up, I have to do that to breathe, I don't
have GERD, but I do have lots of problems breathing if I try to lay flat,
especially when on steroids but have had this problem for years now... I
have to sleep with at least 4 pillows at all times... or I just don't
breathe properly.

What works for one, may not work for another but don't poop on me because it
works for me!! Everyone is different!!

Just my 2 cents!!
Anne

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:30 AM, fancyqtr <smartandfancyartistry@msn.com>wrote:

>
>
> I NEVER said that the article I read was on cinnamon. I said I could not
> remember what the product was, but it was one that has been used for many
> years. The article was in a Health News portion of the news and actually
> gave the name of the pharmaceutical company that paid for the survey. I HAVE
> NOT MADE ANY CLAIMS THAT THEY SAID A MIRACLE CURE DID NOT WORK. I ONLY SAID
> THAT THEY WOULDN'T BE SHOUTING IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS IF THE BIG
> PHARMACEUTICALS CONTINUALLY PUT OUT REPORTS THAT THINGS DIDN'T WORK. WHAT
> THE REPORT I READ A FEW MONTHS ON WAS SOMETHING THAT DOCTORS HAD TOLD PEOPLE
> TO USE FOR YEARS AND WAS FROM A DIFFERENT COMPANY THAN THE ONE WHO FUNDED
> THE STUDY.
>
> I AM SICK AND TIRED OF EVERYTHING I SAY BEING TURNED INTO "YOU ARE A LIAR
> AND MAKING EVERYTHING UP". I GUESS THAT MAKES YOU BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE
> AND THE PERSON WHO KNOWS EVERYTHING.
>
>
> --- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com <diabetes%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "bottomguyly" <bottomguyly@...> wrote:
> >
> > That's the same lame excuse supplement makers always make when they are
> unwilling or unable to prove that their supplement actually works for what
> they advertise it for - with disclaimer of course. There's always some
> terrible conspiracy to keep their miracle product from being widely
> proclaimed as a cure for whatever ails you. Even though they're a
> multibillion industry, somehow they can't afford to do the proper research,
> so you should just believe their testimonials. Don't you know when you're
> being flim-flammed?
> >
> > I've never seen a "Big Pharma" study showing cinnamon doesn't work.
> >
> > Sam
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Resources and tips

for parents

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Ask questions,

share experiences

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
Diabetes homepage:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes/

To unsubscribe to this group, send an email to: diabetes-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
  Hope you come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment