1 2 3

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

[Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3843

Messages In This Digest (18 Messages)

Messages

1.

an article I read and one touch strips

Posted by: "Tricia" psimmons1219@gmail.com   psimmons1219

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:23 am (PST)



I have lost an article I was reading and I am hoping I got the link from here.

It was about diabetes (of course) and how it starts in children. The children have joint pain and other things. I would really appreciate any help with this. I have spent hours looking for this article. I know this is not a lot of information to go on but it is all I remember.

*******

Also I am having trouble with my one touch strips since they have changed. These blue strips require less blood and I can not trust my results. My after breakfast results were 142 I did not think that was right since I am seldom over 115. I ran again from the same finger (new stick) and got 60 ran again and got 98 and ran one more time with a 77. What is the right number. I got tired if sticking myself so I just quit. I normally test 6 to 8 times a day but why would I keep testing when the results are so wrong. It happened again every time I have tested the last 2 days. It is the same lot number I have been using and the controls are great. I opened a new bottle of strips and I got the same strange results. One touch is sending me a new meter and wants me to send in my current bottle of strips. Has anyone else had trouble with the new strips?
Tricia

2a.

Re: how do you all manage to remember to check your BG?

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:55 am (PST)



Wee writes:

<<Recently, I have been reducing & eating the
correct amount of carb and
result was a series of "unpleasant" hypos>>

Lots of factors go into hypoglycemic episodes.
Too much medication is very very common,
especially of a type which makes your pancreas
excrete more insulin. Hard exercise (which I know
you say you don't do - but it's surprising what
can be strenuous to the body! :) can cause lows -
that's why I use glucose tablets before and during
my exercise, even though it's not particularly
hard. Eating too many carbs can cause lows (see
below - phase 2 insulin response) as much as,
maybe more than eating too few, if your diabetes
is caught fairly early.

I don't think you've mentioned your medications,
but I'd be looking at that, especially if you've
lost any weight. As little as 10% of body weight
lost can make a significant impact - meds that
were struggling to do the job before can suddenly
be much too much.

<<However, I am now seeing a lot of hypos purely
because the BG is coming down sooner than what I
was used to.>>

Could you be a bit more explicit? What's the
pattern of food (carbs and protein both),
medications you're on, exercise (even what seems
quite mild), time, and BGs before, during, and
after? I know, that's a lot to ask of a total
stranger :) But if you're able and willing to
share this info, we might be able to help you
identify the *cause* of your lows.

<<I will ask my Doctor if my Metformin should be
adjusted down on my next
visit.>>

Metformin doesn't cause lows. Its primary use is
to improve insulin resistance (IR), so what
insulin you still make is more effective. At
most, MF *might* interfere with your liver dumping
glucose into your system (a secondary effect of
MF) when you're having a low due to another cause.
That's one of the reasons why it's so important
to identify the real cause of your lows.

<<There is no automatic feature on the phone to
set up the alarm to come on a
series of preset times.>>

What about getting a watch with alarms you can
set? How about a fanny pack (belt pouch), if you
don't want to wear a watch? That way you can also
carry your meter easily, and the glucose tablets
you need to have with you at all times, even if
you're not frequently going low.

Yes, this lifestyle requires *major* adjustments!
Kudos to you for being so wiling to jump in with
both feet and make these changes!

<<I recently experience <4 mmol/L (it happened
twice today, one was 2.6 &
other was 2.9 mmol/L).>>

In US speak, 4 = 72, and that's *not* low, though
it might feel like it if you're used to numbers
over 100. I only worry about 4 / 72 if I know I'm
still dropping. And then I treat it with glucose
tablets - in this case, I would take 1/2 tablet, 2
g of glucose, because that will raise my BG 10
points, and then I would monitor my BG every 10-15
minutes until it's stable, taking more glucose
only if the BG won't come up to my goal of about
4.6 / 83.

2.6 = 47 and 2.9 = 52. *Those* are significant
lows. You need to call your doctor *today* about
getting these figured out!!!! No, I'm not joking!
I had similar problems, without usually being
quite as low as that, early this year, and I had
to call my medical practitioner and get my meds
adjusted downwards several times before finally
discontinuing the one (micronase) that was causing
the problems.

<<These can be avoided if I was better at
remembering to meter BG. >>

Only if you know what's causing the lows - then
using the meter can help avoid them, sometimes. I
work at home, and I still use an alarm (kitchen
timer for me) to remind me of BG tests and
exercise, 16 months after diagnosis. I also still
write it all down on my daily log page (one I
designed for my own use - much better than
anything I've seen :)

<<As we speak, my BG is 4.9mmol/L and I don't feel
good :(
My last meal was 8pm, it is now 20 minutes gone
midnight here in UK.>>

4.9 / 88 is a fine number, no problems there! I
routinely go to bed with anywhere between 4.1 / 75
to 5.3 / 95 (still working on smoothing that out).

You feel lousy because your BG has been
fluctuating severely all day long, from 2.6 that
you know of (and you might have gone lower still
before or after that test) to maybe as much as the
7 / 126 you mention as a PP you're usually under.
That's something like a 150% change,
potentially! For me, even much smaller
fluctuations are, to put it plainly, hell. I
can't think or function, I have no energy, I just
want to lie down for days and days. NOT fun! You
NEED to call your doctor TODAY to get this sorted out!

One possible cause for these kind of extreme
changes might be having a strong, but delayed,
phase 2 insulin response to a meal that's fairly
high in carbs. Most T2s have a very impaired
phase 1 (stored insulin) response to food, so we
go high quickly after eating carbs where a
non-diabetic barely changes. But some of us
retain the ability to make *lots* of insulin "on
the fly", phase 2 insulin, in response to that
high BG, just a lot slower than non-diabetics.

If your body has gone pretty high because of lots
of carbs eaten (and the amount of carb causing
that varies from person to person), and you have a
strong phase 2 insulin response, you can go low
not long after you've been high because this new
insulin being produced is a lot more than you need
to deal with your carbs.

This is very common relatively early in the
progression of diabetes - I had it, though I
didn't know what was going on, and so did my
sister, and it may be my daughter has had this a
couple times. I learned sort of instinctively to
prevent such lows by eating more protein, which
does helps - just that, reducing carbs prevents or
at least reduces the whole pattern of high BG -
strong phase 2 insulin response - low BG.

Without more info on the timing of these lows
relative to food, activity, and medication, it's
hard to say what might be causing them. Do take
*all* that info to your doctor, and let us know
what she/he says!

Holly in MI

3a.

Diabetes (low)unawarenes

Posted by: "Grey-Lady C" greyladyc@yahoo.com   greyladyc

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:29 am (PST)



Have a question but not sure I can explain clearly so  I guess I will have to give an example of what I am trying to say so please bare with me

Sometimes before I eat a meal I will test  usually it runs from   92-140 the avg being  I guess in the 104-135 range. Now sometimes my before meals will be as low as 68 now here is the question or problem, I Don't "feel anything sometimes I actually feel full  even when it has been at least 5 hours between meals ( I usually eat breakfast 9-10 am   lunch around  1or 2 pm  supper around 6pm)and that is when it is 102-135 I feel hungry when it is on the low side  I feel full. I try to keep a small food  journal  on foods that I eat , but sometimes I will run errands with my best friend  and this is before and after Christmas, etc. I DO KNOW we should eat but I am a firm believer that if you aren't hungry why eat, (for example yesterday hubby and I went out for kinda late breakfast so neither of us was hungry till about 6pm and skiped lunch) I guess what I am trying to ask is how  do you tell if your sugar is getting low the ONLY tell sign that
I feel is having a headache ( but living in the pacfic Northwest rain and dampness is par for the course and that comes with headaches if it is damp and rainning)Hope I asked the question that most of you understand,
ps I am on meforium, glibizide slow acting once a day metfor 3xda) I usually tty and take my metf at 10am 3pm and whenI go to bed(10 or 11pm)

3b.

Re: Diabetes (low)unawarenes

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 am (PST)



You have to eat enough, and you have to eat on time when you take hypoglycemic meds or insulin. You take glypizide, so that's you. Skipping meals because you don't feel hungry can get you in big trouble, fast.

Everyone feels their lows a bit differently, plus it depends on how low you're talking about-- 68 is not going to feel like 48, after all. Plus IMO it depends on if your glucose is busy falling through the floor at the moment. IOW, 68 which is rapidly going down, down, down to 60, 55, 50, 45, etc, is going to feel a whole heck of a lot worse than a stable 68.

Keep on faithfully testing-- as long as you refuse to eat in good portion sizes and on time, your meter is the only thing that's going to allow you to hopefully catch lows before you get into real trouble.

Classic symptoms of a low are shaking, anxiety, numbed-out brain (you can see what you need to do, you just can't seem to actually do it), slurred speech, sweating, heart palpitations, weakness, fatigue, weird visual changes, bad temper (impatience, snapping at people, etc), and wanting to eat the house down. Most folks won't get all or even most of those at any one time, of course.

There is such a thing as true hypoglycemic unawareness, which of course can be a huge problem for those who take insulin, but normally it develops in those who have been staying hypo for way too long, weeks, months, etc. They're so low most of the time, they can't feel it when they go even more dangerously low, and it's easy for them to go into insulin shock. AFAIK, this can't happen in those who don't take insulin, but you could certainly ask your doctor about it.

Judy D.

3c.

Re: Diabetes (low)unawarenes

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 am (PST)



Grey-lady, PLEASE don't mess around the timing of
your meals while you're on a sulfonylurea drug
like Glipizide! It makes your pancreas excrete
more insulin than it would without. That means,
if you don't eat your meals on something close to
a normal schedule, you will most likely go low
because you haven't enough carbs in your system to
provide glucose enough for the insulin to work on.
Add exercise on top of that (which can be as
mild as shopping with your friend), and lows are
practically inevitable.

<< I actually feel full even when it has been at
least 5 hours between meals>>

This may mean you're eating more food than you
really need, or it may be you have some degree of
gastroparesis, or something else. Bring it up to
your doctor so you can be checked out. More
frequent, smaller meals might help.

<<(for example yesterday hubby and I went out for
kinda late breakfast so neither of us was hungry
till about 6pm and skiped lunch)>>

This is one of the difficulties of taking a drug
that makes your pancreas excrete more insulin - if
you don't eat to a regular schedule, you can go
low, so you lack the flexibility you might
otherwise have.

Another potential problem with a sulfonylurea is
that many authorities believe it can cause the
pancreas to burn out sooner, leaving you dependent
upon injecting insulin. And then it can lead to
hyperinsulemia (hope I have that spelled right :),
which means you have too much insulin circulating
in your system most of the time. That can lead to
weight gain and is believed to contribute to
cardiac problems, and some say it damages other
parts of the body as well.

In your shoes (and I was in those shoes, through
last January :), I would talk to my doctor about
getting off the sulfonylurea drugs entirely, and
continue with MF until close to my goal weight,
plus of course diet and exercise to control the
BGs. That will give you a lot more flexibility
for the timing of your meals, and make lows much
less likely.

Holly in MI

3d.

Re: Diabetes (low)unawarenes

Posted by: "Dorothy Wurth" dottie.wurth@yahoo.com   dottie.wurth

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:51 pm (PST)



Hi Grey Lady,
While I was driving home today, I was thinking of some of the people who have posted to the group and you were on my mind.  It's a joy to see your post, and it sounds like you are doing much better than when i first joined the group.  When I was having all the lows last spring and summer, I couldn't feel them at 68 either, it wasn't until I got down to 50 and below that I had a problem.  I am like you in that when I get busy, I forget to eat.  That doesn't happen very often now that I'm retired, but I still carry around something to nibble on in case I find myself in the middle of shopping or a project, and realise that it is after meal time and I can't stop and eat.  I keep baggies of almonds or an Atkins bar or a Special K bar in my purse all the time.  Then I just grab a couple of bites and I'm good to go.  That gives me just a little protein/carbs to keep me from going too low but not enough to interfere with my next meal.  It works for
me and after all these years it's not likely that I'm going to change my personality to doing things on a regular schedule.  Take care, Dottie

--- On Mon, 12/28/09, Grey-Lady C <greyladyc@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Grey-Lady C <greyladyc@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Diabetes (low)unawarenes
To: "Type-2-Diabetes" <Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, December 28, 2009, 11:29 AM

 

Have a question but not sure I can explain clearly so  I guess I will have to give an example of what I am trying to say so please bare with me
 
Sometimes before I eat a meal I will test  usually it runs from   92-140 the avg being  I guess in the 104-135 range. Now sometimes my before meals will be as low as 68 now here is the question or problem, I Don't "feel anything sometimes I actually feel full  even when it has been at least 5 hours between meals ( I usually eat breakfast 9-10 am   lunch around  1or 2 pm  supper around 6pm)and that is when it is 102-135 I feel hungry when it is on the low side  I feel full. I try to keep a small food  journal  on foods that I eat , but sometimes I will run errands with my best friend  and this is before and after Christmas, etc. I DO KNOW we should eat but I am a firm believer that if you aren't hungry why eat, (for example yesterday hubby and I went out for kinda late breakfast so neither of us was hungry till about 6pm and skiped lunch) I guess what I am trying to ask is how  do you tell if your sugar is getting low the ONLY tell sign that
I feel is having a headache ( but living in the pacfic Northwest rain and dampness is par for the course and that comes with headaches if it is damp and rainning)Hope I asked the question that most of you understand,
ps I am on meforium, glibizide slow acting once a day metfor 3xda) I usually tty and take my metf at 10am 3pm and whenI go to bed(10 or 11pm)

4a.

Re: what a CDE does

Posted by: "Deb Billwiller" auroraws@yahoo.ca   auroraws

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:23 am (PST)



Kristy, that may be the case in the state you're in.. but it is
absolutely not the case here in BC. My CDE, working out of the
diabetes education centre at our local hospital, was responsible for
the increase in my metformin dosage last year as well as the adding
of glyburide to my regime a few years back. She goes over my log,
discusses options with me, she and I agree on a plan and then she
faxes it to my doctor who writes the new prescription. While I have a
standing order from the lab for my A1c every 3 months, my CDE has, in
the past, ordered my annual tests (lipids, kidney function etc) if
I've been in to see her around the time for them, saving me a trip to
my doctor. She's the one I discuss the test results with. If/when I
go on insulin, she's the one who will be training me in the proper
use, how to adjust dosages etc.

Both of our local pharmacies have CDEs who are pharmacy technicians.
When there's a new diagnosis, if a patient isn't able to get into the
CDE at the education centre in the first 3 or 4 days, then the
patient is sent to their choice of pharmacy, the CDE at the education
centre phones the CDE at the pharmacy who supplies the metre (N/C)
and trains the patient on how to use it. Here in BC, especially with
a shortage of endo's, CDE's are the mainstay of most T2s who are
actively involved in their care.

Deb in BC

At 05:47 PM 2009-12-26, you wrote:

>Jude,
>
>A CDE, regardless of their background can not explain to a patient
>the cause of their Diabetes or about the treatment options to manage
>their disease. Only a doctor can do that.
>
>The doctor's job is to find the cause of the problem, diagnose the
>problem, design a treatment plan, and teach the patient on how to
>use the various treatments involved in that plan. Teaching includes
>telling the patient how often to use it, explain the side effects of
>the treatment if any. Not the staff unless he tells his nurse to do
>it (the teaching-see below), and definitely not a CDE. But yes,
>teaching is definitely part of the physician's job.

5a.

BG level

Posted by: "Conan Pace" conan_pace@yahoo.com   conan_pace

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:31 pm (PST)



I checkled my levels after several hrs of not eating. It was 90. Is that okay or is that too low?

conan

5b.

Re: BG level

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Conan Pace" <conan_pace@...> wrote: I checked my levels after several hrs of not eating. It was 90. Is that okay or is that too low? conan>

We don't know enough about your situation to comment intelligently, Conan. A low's not something you have to treat until you see about 70ish on your meter, so 90's probably just fine, but I don't know what your A1c is, what your glucose is doing the rest of the day, or anything else about what's going on with you.
Judy D.

5c.

Re: BG level

Posted by: "Conan Pace" conan_pace@yahoo.com   conan_pace

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:21 pm (PST)



I don't even know what my A1c is...

________________________________
From: Jude <peridotjude@yahoo.com>
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, December 28, 2009 4:38:09 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: BG level

 
--- In Type-2-Diabetes@ yahoogroups. com, "Conan Pace" <conan_pace@ ...> wrote: I checked my levels after several hrs of not eating. It was 90. Is that okay or is that too low? conan>

We don't know enough about your situation to comment intelligently, Conan. A low's not something you have to treat until you see about 70ish on your meter, so 90's probably just fine, but I don't know what your A1c is, what your glucose is doing the rest of the day, or anything else about what's going on with you.
Judy D.

5d.

Re: BG level

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Conan Pace <conan_pace@...> wrote: I don't even know what my A1c is...>>

I'm sorry, but trying to remember here, are you newly diagnosed? Most docs will do an A1c when they see the fasting glucose number be higher than normal, so you might very well have had one. A quick call to your doc's office can get you that info.
Judy D.

6a.

how do you all manage to remember to check your BG? - Judy D

Posted by: "Wee K Chew" wee@weekhiong.plus.com   wee_khiong

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:21 pm (PST)



"It's possible you're not eating enough or that you're delaying your meal times too long. Are your meals complete, with some carbs, some protein, some fat? And are you remembering to snack about 3 hours or so after meals? The snack should be a small portion of carbs and a small portion of protein."

Hey Judy, you are psychic, you know? Lol :)))
I was indeed not eating enough as I forgot to eat as I was too busy shopping with my DD at the time.

"That's 88 in American. Too low for going to sleep, IMO, especially for someone who's been going too low all day already. You feel awful because you've been walking around hypoglycemic most of the day, and hypos make you feel like a washed-out dishrag-- no energy, can't think straight, sweaty, weak, shaky, sometimes sleepy."

Again, you are psychic! That is exactly how I felt yesterday, me duh!

"Yes, of course. Your brain is busy functioning, keeping you breathing and your heart rate steady, digestion continues, sure... although you're resting and not moving around much, there's still a lot of stuff going on inside you during sleep. Metabolism continues."

Duly noted and will snack from now on before going to sleep. I will pretend to be a pig because that is what pigs do, ha, lol :)))

"Can you feel your lows? Do you sweat, for instance? If so, hopefully the symptoms will wake you up. Until you get this hypo problem resolved, I think you should a) always test before bedtime b) always have a small snack right at bedtime c) keep your meter and test strips right at your bedside for nighttime use and d) keep a bottle of spring water and a container of glucose tablets right there, too."

I will take your suggestion seriously from now on :)

"Please let us know how you're doing, Wee."

I will tell you how I got on at the Doctor's Office tomorrow :)

Wee in Middlesex, UK 

Dx: August 2008
T2, aged 52,
Weight, 70Kg
Height, 1.72m
BMI: 23.7
1g Metformin(twice daily),
80mg Gliclazide(once daily).

------------------------------------

*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***Yahoo! Groups Links

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.716 / Virus Database: 270.14.117/2583 - Release Date: 12/23/09 08:28:00

7a.

Re: Newly diagnosed and looking for books

Posted by: "Cindi Marshall" cjmobxnc@embarqmail.com   cindimarshall196327909

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:42 pm (PST)



My cousin was diagnosed as being T1 in 1976 also, and I agree that back then
WAS in the dark ages. I don't remember what his bgl was, but I DO remember
having to go to the hospital with his mom and my mom so I could learn what
to do in case of a low. He's now 44 and has a pump.

Cindi

From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jude
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:23 PM
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: Newly diagnosed and looking for books

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:Type-2-Diabetes%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cindi Marshall" <cjmobxnc@...>
wrote: Judy, have you actually had T2D for 33 years? Can I ask you how old
you were when you developed it? Cindi>

Dx'ed one month shy of my 27th birthday, in 1976. No home glucose monitors,
metformin, disposable insulin syringes, A1c tests, CDEs or local
endocrinologists in those days. My family doc put me in the hospital for a
week (I felt fine, admitted with a 380 fasting level, but in no danger of
coma) so he could have them teach me how to take NPH insulin, how to do the
urine tests, and for the lab to schlep to my room twice a day to do blood
draws. Longest week of my life, and absolutely back in the dark ages.
Judy D.

8a.

Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye

Posted by: "brian cooper" brianevans_99@yahoo.com   brianevans_99

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:34 pm (PST)



Jude, AnaLog, etc.,

Before my Cardiolite stress test a couple of weeks ago, I was told not to take any meds (incl Metformin) on the morning of the test day. The test itself was in early afternoon, and I would have had my last Metformin by 9pm the night before. (I'm not positive that contrast dye was used. I know there was a radioisotope and the tech had mentioned "another chemical.")

Any idea whether this would have been long enough to be off the Metformin to avoid kidney damage. Dose should have been 1000 mg twice daily, but I was taking 2000mg twice daily at that point because of the SNAFU by the endo or pharmacy I've described...

Thanks,

Brian Cooper
Greenville, NC
__________________________________________________________

--- On Mon, 12/28/09, Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com>
>

8b.

Re: Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:38 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, brian cooper <brianevans_99@...> wrote: Before my Cardiolite stress test a couple of weeks ago, I was told not to take any meds (incl Metformin) on the morning of the test day.The test itself was in early afternoon, and I would have had my last Metformin by 9pm the night before.(I'm not positive that contrast dye was used.I know there was a radioisotope and the tech had mentioned "another chemical.") Any idea whether this would have been long enough to be off the Metformin to avoid kidney damage.Dose should have been 1000 mg twice daily, but I was taking 2000mg twice daily at that point because of the SNAFU by the endo or pharmacy I've described>>

I don't know how to answer your question specifically, since I have no first-hand knowledge of diabetic kidney problems (thank God). My common sense tells me that if your kidney function was/is normal, and you followed your doc's guidelines about discontinuing the metformin before the test, you should be fine.
Judy D.

8c.

Re: Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:49 pm (PST)



Yeah, you probably will be fine. Since this 4 grams of metformin a day is so screwy, you might ask your doc to do the standard kidney blood tests (especially the serum creatinine) to make sure everything is OK. Was this in the cath lab, or just a stress test? The more dangerous test is the angiogram, but it typically does not use a radioactive material, only a radio-opaque contrast agent. The complication rate for angiograms runs from a couple of percent to a few percent depending on the cath lab, and one of those complications is dropping dead on the table (which happened to a poor sob while I was in the hospital for a week this past spring).

Syd

----- Original Message -----
From: Jude
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 9:38 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: Metformin washout before stress test with contrast dye

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, brian cooper <brianevans_99@...> wrote: Before my Cardiolite stress test a couple of weeks ago, I was told not to take any meds (incl Metformin) on the morning of the test day.The test itself was in early afternoon, and I would have had my last Metformin by 9pm the night before.(I'm not positive that contrast dye was used.I know there was a radioisotope and the tech had mentioned "another chemical.") Any idea whether this would have been long enough to be off the Metformin to avoid kidney damage.Dose should have been 1000 mg twice daily, but I was taking 2000mg twice daily at that point because of the SNAFU by the endo or pharmacy I've described>>

I don't know how to answer your question specifically, since I have no first-hand knowledge of diabetic kidney problems (thank God). My common sense tells me that if your kidney function was/is normal, and you followed your doc's guidelines about discontinuing the metformin before the test, you should be fine.
Judy D.

9a.

Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "Anne" Auntym2u@aol.com   flowersdunnright

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:34 pm (PST)



I just got the results from my first sugar test (193). Now I have to take more test. In the mean time, I was wondering, is there anything I can do about this unquenchable thirst, other than drinking more water??

9b.

Re: Quenching Thrist

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <Auntym2u@...> wrote:
I just got the results from my first sugar test (193).Now I have to take more test.In the mean time, I was wondering, is there anything I can do about this unquenchable thirst, other than drinking more water??>

Radically, ruthlessly cut out ALL refined sugar or high fructose-containing foods (read labels, and if it says sugar, corn syrup, sweeteners, molasses, honey, high fructose corn syrup, any of those words, push that food far, far away from yourself) and most commercial foods made with white flour. Be careful with starchy foods (rice, potatoes, beans, corn, lima beans, beets, pasta). Severely curtail commercial breakfast cereals and all but high fiber whole grain bread (read labels, don't eat two pieces if one will do). Stop drinking milk and fruit juice-- a bit of milk on cereal is okay, but make it like a half cup or less, and a couple tablespoons in coffee or tea is okay, too-- just don't sit down and drink big glasses of milk, and don't touch fruit juice or energy drinks or "real" soda or sweet tea with a ten foot pole.

Eat all the chicken, fish, pork and beef you want, just watch the sauces and gravies. Load up on fresh or steamed veggies-- cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, Chinese stir fry veggies, cabbage, carrots, all the salad veggies (check labels on salad dressings for added sugar). Have a couple of *small* whole fruits a day-- a two inch apple, a half cup of canned unsweetened pineapple, a Clementine, a half a large pear, etc. Probably best to forego bananas for the time being.

Take a walk every single day. Walk for a half hour if you can. If all you can do is five minutes, do that with an eye to building up your time. If outside is too cold and/or dangerous, walk in place in front of your TV and swing your arms. Do this a couple times a day if you can!

And yeah, drink water. Don't deny that thirst-- your body is desperately trying to rid itself of all that glucose it can't use, and you need to keep giving it lots of plain water as long as the thirst continues. Drink water, pee it out, and continue until your body lets you know it's doing a bit better. Follow your natural thirst. When your body's doing better, it will stop roaring at you to give it something to drink.

Welcome to the list. Good luck, and please let us know how you're doing.

Judy D.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Tips for family,

kids and living

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Explore green tips

and resources

Celebrity Parents

Spotlight on Kids

Hollywood families

share stories

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment