1 2 3

Thursday, December 10, 2009

taking prandin

Hi, I am type 2 and have been taking prandin.
My first few months on prandin were difficult.
It really really works great at first, too good, like scary lows good. you MUST test a lot if you are on prandin, it works like shooting insulin for me. BUT according to Dr. Bernstein it is not a recommended pill becuase over time it can, according to him, burn out whatever is left of your beta cells ability to produce insulin (for exact info please consult his diabetes book). I had an experience that suggests it is true. I went from a tiny dose to a bigger and bigger dose and after a year was on 12mg a day. I got to prandin after running though all the other meds, I then started injecting lantus. I have not had any side effects from prandin other than very low BS levels, I test 10x a day (or use to before I stabilized). I was terrified of the prandin making me sicker in the long run.
But, finally after 3 years of trying every thing, I am doing well. I have terrible sleep problems, so bad I was exhausted along with NASH liver problems caused by the diabetes. I am currently doing great. Here is what I am doing YMMV

1. therapy with eating disorders person 2x a week with daily food journal emailed in. my wt increased from 190 to 305 in 8 years because I was binging on food I was at 575 bs level after three 'normal' fasting tests shows I was at 110 ish...I bought my own meter. My internists failed to do a better test.

2. exercise: ellpytical training machine 60 minutes 4 times a day

3. bipap for sleep apnea

4. 0.5 mg of valium, this has made the difference in allowing me to sleep, I was shaking all night and up/down all night. I will only DECREASE it, not increase as it is addictive. but the better sleep has allowed me to exercise, before I could not have enough energy to do anything..

5. metformin 2,000
6. prandin as needed for highs above 160.
I now only take between zero and 3 mg a day, it is really strong again.

7. diet. of course, this is also key but the hardest as I am a compulsive overeater and have been since age 7 even though I was very thin until the past 10 years.

8 a big help has been reading bob greene, I hear he has a new one on diabetes I have not read yet but I found a copy of best life, after 3 months I am still on phase one, increasing activity, but it is working !

Hope this helps you.... bottom line... be careful with prandin, it works but you dont want to keep increasing it. you must exercise, it has done the trick for me.

A long journey....

No comments:

Post a Comment