1 2 3

Monday, November 23, 2009

Why do the vials have to be so big?

I'm not sure that I'm reading this correctly -- not because I don't believe that you're using or could be using this amount, but simply because I wanted to determine if I was reading it correctly -- are you using 140 units TOTAL, or 140 units TWICE per day, for a total of 280 units per day? Remember, too, that we are both Type 1 and Type 2 here, and the vast difference in insulin requirements between the two can be very significant. For instance, I'm a T1, and right now, I'm currently *off* pump and using Lantus and Novolog via injection (I've been off pump for either two or three weeks now; I believe it's at least that long, since I remember that I was off pump for my birthday, and that was November 9, and I'd already been off for a week at that point). For me, my basal rate on the pump is just over eight units in 24 hours. With Lantus, I use ten units per 24 hours.

I know that there was a mention to someone who was only using a very small amount of Lantus per day, and getting rid of at least a half bottle per month. I'm not saying that anyone should DO this without testing the vials first to insure that the insulin is still functioning without any deterioration in strength, but I've used open, refrigerated vials of lantus for MUCH longer than the 28 days that is suggested, and I've noticed no difference. My current open vial has been open and refrigerated at LEAST two, and possibly THREE, months. I DO keep my Novolog out of the fridge only because I HAVE to in order to take it to work with me, but normally, when I'm using the pump, I keep my vials in the refrigerator for the duration of its use.

I know that there have been many people who have noticed that Lantus really DOESN'T remain "good" for as long as other insulins, but for me, it's definitely more than 28 days. I'm planning on going back on the pump tomorrow evening or Sunday evening and starting the new work week back on, but I've (a) never kept vials out of the refrigerator once they've been opened unless I'm off pump, and (b) never used a vial of Lantus for only 28 days and only noticed a deterioration in the insulin strength when I've pulled it and used it when it's been open for much longer.

Test and see where you fall in terms of the length of time.
BY Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment