1 2 3

Monday, November 23, 2009

carb diet

Hi Roseanne,Yes, the low carb way of eating that I have adopted has gotten rid of my sugar cravings and helped me lose 32 lbs so far. I eat anywhere from 80-120 grams of carbs per day and I walk or swim each day. I cut out sugar and only each rice, pasta, potatoes or white bread in very small quantities. I eat a lot of chicken, fish, yogurt and vegetables and snack on things like hard boiled eggs, string cheese or nuts. My glucose is now under control and I feel sooo much better. I started out with an A1C of 10.8, and a FBG of 326 in September, I haven't had a new A1C yet but my glucose is generally from 80-120. Hope this helps.
Hi Lauren,
I eat, on average, close to what you eat per day in carbs, but I'm again, as I always am, surprised to see that that number of carbs is what some folks consider "low." I eat approximately 110-115 grams per day, and almost half of those are non-starchy green veggie carbs (I say almost half because for salad greens, for example, to equal over 50 grams of carb would mean eating several pounds of lettuce at the very least -- eight ounces of romaine has approximately 8 grams of carb). When I hear the term "low carb" way of eating, I think of numbers that are much lower than what you and I eat -- under or close to 50 grams per day. I've always considered myself a moderate carber, but if you view this from the perspective of the average, typical American diet, 115 grams is close to 1/3 the number of carbs that people eat on any given day.

I don't eat but the tiniest amount of starches, other than my whole grain or rye toast at breakfast. I haven't eaten pasta in over a year, potatoes in an even longer time. I occasionally eat very modest amounts of rice (no more than two ounces, by weight, at a given time -- that's less than 15 grams of carb), but I haven't eaten white rice in years and actually don't even like white breads, white rice or white pasta (but I've completely cut out pasta now since I can't make it work in any form -- white, whole grain/wheat or Dreamfields). I can't remember the last time I ate mashed potatoes; what I remember about it is how heavy they felt, and how sluggish *I* felt. I do enjoy an occasional sweet potato, which I think are much tastier and much better for us than white potatoes, but if I eat two of those a year, that's a lot. My main source of starchy carbs is bread, and I try to be as selective as possible with the breads I choose. Once or twice per year I'll treat myself to a bagel, but it's not an easy food for me, and I have to increase the insulin I use to cover it, as well as use a bit of "R" to overlap and work longer than the Novolog because of the possible sustained spike.

Would you consider this a low carb diet? I'm genuinely interested and curious, because as I said, there are those who would look at nothing above 50 grams per day as "low carb."

JoAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment