1 2 3

Friday, November 20, 2009

Rsugar addiction - Alex

I know how you feel about the sugar addiction - have one myself. When I was diagnosed first thing I did was give up soda. No easy task since I would drink 6 cans or more a day no problem. My mind set was that my feet, my kidneys, and my eyes are more important to me. The worse thing for me was finding out I do not have to avoid sugar - it can be like a free pass in your head. I combat it by finding things that are less then 10 grams of carbs (the lower the better) and allowing myself to have them with some protein (usually almonds). The 100 cal chocolate bars work for that, there is a mini eclair that I have found. So far my bg numbers are doing good - guess the a1c next month will tell a better story.

I find distractions help. If you find yourself going for the sugar - find something else to do. Or tell yourself that you can have some but first you have to drink a glass of water, or wait 15 mins, etc. I also find portion control helps - make up containers (or what ever is required) of a healthy amount of the sugar you are wanting. That way when you get the craving you can have some instead of over doing it. I also find eating an apple or orange between meals can help control the sugar craving. You could also try that - when you want sugar tell yourself that first you have to have some fruit and wait 30 min - if you still want sugar then allow yourself some.

I personally find denial and not having any around will make my cravings worse. Knowing I can have some when I want allows me to choose to not want it.
Good luck. You have lots of support here, but unfortunately it is up to you to win this battle.

Take care--Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment