1 2 3

Monday, November 23, 2009

Checking BG Level with Strips

Thanks for your response, Sasirababu! I thought you were talking about urine test strips. I've since learned that this is an archaic technique of BG testing which is no longer used (or rarely if it is).

But since you're in India, let me ask you about something else. Are you familiar with gymnema sylvestre? I understand this product comes from a vine that grows wild in India which has been used to treat diabetes for thousands of years. I forget the local name, but I believe its meaning is 'killer of sugar' or the like.

I learned of this product about 2 years ago in this very same group and began using it. I had just recently been diagnosed with diabetes and given metformin, which was not getting my BG under control. After taking gymnema, I was eventually able to get it under control, and I still take gymnema twice a day and attribute to it at least a 20-30 point reduction in my sugar.

What I'm curious about (and you may be able to help me here) is how common the usage of gymnema sylvestre is in India today and in what form it is used. We get it here in capsules which have a smell reminiscent of old hay. Various sizes are offered, but I think I use the 250 milligram size. I've never looked inside a capsule, but I'd imagine the contents have little resemblance to whatever part of the original vine they come from.

LV HayesFayetteville, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment