1 2 3

Saturday, November 28, 2009

comment about : New Introduction-DM 2

That sounds right. 6.5 is about a 150 average, so those numbers all sound like they make add up.

> Nov. 23 Doctor diagnosed me with diabetes 2 and put me on Metformin lowest dose (I think 500mg.)1 x day I am about 25 lbs overweight. Symptoms have been dizziness, blurred vision, feeling hot all the time, achey, tired, mentally spacey or confused, periods of euphoria, headaches, swelling of fingers (rings tight). Are these typical of diabetes 2? Do they go away when BGs are lowered?>

Hmm. Good questions for your doc, not us, because he knows what else you might be dealing with, like high blood pressure, female hormone issues, compromised circulation, medication side effects, etc. Out of the list you mention, the only two things I've never heard of in connection to high glucose are euphoria (do you have mood swings?) and swollen fingers.

Of course it's very possible to have more than just diabetes "going on". Many of us here have multiple health issues, maybe you do too? As I said, these are good questions for your doc.

>No excessive thirsts and no frequent urination and cuts heal fine. No numbness or tingling in fingers or toes>

At 6.5, you shouldn't be having any of that. Which is a good thing!

>But strong urine odor>

At 6.5, I'd be surprised if you're spilling much glucose into the urine. Everyone's renal threshold is different, but at a 150 average, it can't be happening much in you. Urine odor can be from dehydration or something you ate. Urine odor caused by sugar issues can smell syrupy, like maple syrup. But as I say, most people's point at which they spill into the urine is higher than where you're at.

>I have cut out white flour, white rice, white potatoes, exercise 30 min. walking daily. have lost 5 lbs. since Nov. 4th. I am eating fish, chicken, green and yellow vegetables, salads, almonds, fruits (berries), soft cheeses, whole grain cereal, vitamins.>>

All good! Are you testing before and after meals at times, to get an idea how specific foods affect you? Many of us can't handle cereal, for instance.

>Okay, fasting BGs have come down to 116-126. Highest during day is 140>

This is called progress! Great.

>How long does Metformin take to start working? I know that changes take time to stabilize BGs>>

Metformin kicks in certainly within a day or two. You're at the lowest dose. Your doc may up your dose once he sees your body is handling the 500 mg a day okay. Or not. As your weight approaches normal, you might very well be able to come off the med. Or not. Time will tell.

>One day, after walking, I got the shakes. My BGs were 80. (they had been 116 before the walk) 80 is a normal healthy level, so why the shakes>

80 is lowish, actually. Normal fasting levels are 65-99, but during the day, 80 is it's-time-to-eat-something lowish. Especially if you've been walking around a lot higher than that, 80 can feel pretty lowish because you're not used to how it feels.

Hmmm. Well. Maybe you were tired. Maybe it was time for a meal or snack... you know, maybe it was just time to eat! Maybe you still have a tendency towards hypoglycemia, which quite a few newly diagnosed diabetics do-- your pancreas simply doesn't get its memos, sometimes is wonky in the oh-look-I-made-too-much-insulin side of things rather than the oh-look-I-made-too-little. Actually, most of we type 2s DO make plenty of insulin, but our cells can't use it (this is insulin resistance), something the metformin helps with.

Carry glucose tablets with you when you exercise or are out running errands, etc. Anytime you feel you're a bit low, chew up 3 or 4 and swig some water and test again in 15 minutes or so. Should make you feel better. And do report this to the doctor when you see him.

Keeping a careful written log of all these glucose levels and when and how they came about will go a long way towards helping your doc decide about medications, of course.

>Tonight, I started feeling sick at my stomach. My BGs were 105. I ate turkey and started feeling better a couple of hours later. Checked my BGs and they were 116. Don't understand why I feel sick when they get below 116.>>

Maybe you had a bit of a flu bug or your stomach is sick of turkey . Not all symptoms are diabetes-related. Metformin can make you wicked sick to your stomach, especially if you take it without food. I've taken that med for YEARS and still can get nauseated around it if I take it at a time when my stomach is empty. I dunno, I'm just guessing. 116 all by itself shouldn't make you sick, IMO. ????

<< So my question is what is a normal level for DM 2. Why do I feel better at 116 and not good at 80-105?>>

It's very very very common to feel weird when the blood sugars start to normalize. This will go away. Ignore it. Test, believe your meter, but do not believe how you "feel", because your physical feelings will lie to you like a rug. Even experienced diabetes must test, test, test... ask any of us.

>Will the swelling go down in my fingers?>

Could be a med side effect, I suppose. Umm. Ask your doctor.

>Will the gassiness from the Metformin go away?>

Make sure your doc prescribed the XR or ER form of the drug-- extended release. Much easier on the insides. You may be someone who can't take the stuff-- some have to go off it because of the nausea and diarrhea. Gassiness could be from your increased fruit and veggie intake.

> Thank you for this group and for answering my questions. I know you probably get these same questions over and over. Thank you for your patience. Is there a link on the home page with basics to learn from?>

You can check the files section. Might be stuff in there. I like the book "Diabetes for Dummies", a cheap paperback with loads of info. Another good one is Calorie King, with basic diabetes info and listings of calorie and carb content of most foods.

I'm glad you're here. I think overall it sounds as though you're doing fine. Remember, you can always call your doctor's office between visits if you need to-- they're on your side, and they should be your first line of education and aid; they're the ones who know you best.

Judy D.

No comments:

Post a Comment