1 2 3

Monday, November 23, 2009

My opinion about minimed vs. dexcom

I ditto Arlene about the Dexcom experience being great. Before I got Dex, I knew that I couldn't go with Minimed (even though I have the Paradigm Pump) as I ignore the alarms all the time and needed another form of receiver that I knew I wouldn't ignore. There have been times that I turned off the alarms and it was a big mistake - I actually got up into the 300's by disabling my high alert alarm.

Even though Dexcom's length of signal is not as far as Abbott's, I am amazed at how far Dex picks me up (for example I set Dex on bathroom counter outside of shower in a master bathroom and while taking shower Dex still catches my numbers - but then again I guess the distance is about as tall as a man not a giant).

Another reason I did not go with Minimed is that I am a bleeder, I have had blood go pretty far up into the tubing of my insulin pump just after insertion and after seeing Kerri Sparling's pictures on her website (www.sixuntilme.com) with how she had problems with blood in her sensors, I knew Iwasn't a good candidate for that product.

I have not had problems with bleeding with the sensors with Dexcom and the needle is the width of 3 hair strands I believe the website says? Dexcom has a really good and helpful website; whereas, Abbott's Navigator website did not help me when I originally looked into a CGMS (neither did Abbott's customer service help when I inquired over the phone about how to get a Navigator) whenever Abbott called and asked me about why I didn't get their product, I reminded them about my complaint of customer service - so I don't know if they ever improved but I received more than one call from various people, as it seemed one hand didn't know what the other hand was doing at Abbott.

I have to say that the customer service at Dexcom has been very helpful to me, as I had a problem with a sensor and I was new to CGMS during the first month in May, I called at 2 am with a problem and the Dexcom rep was more alert than meand very helpful over phone.

When there was a problem with the sensor, Dexcom replaced the sensor for free and mailed out a new one immediately (no backorders, etc.). Dex has been pretty on track with my numbers. I've also been able to calibrate even when I'm plummetting or skyrocketing with my blood sugar levels - the first month I wanted to overcalibrate and it didn't hurt Dexcom.

The transmitter is the height of 2 nickels (put one on top of each other), once inside a sensor it is 4 nickels heigh, the length is 1 1/2 nickels (sorry I didn't have my ruler to measure, my rulers disappear with kids/Hubby in house). There is no charging of transmitter or putting new batteries in transmitter (I would love to one day crack open a Dex transmitter just to look inside but at $200 a pop I think I'll wait till the transmitter dies in 2 years).

One thing to know if you are a Dexcom Seven Plus user is that the mode *vibe then beep* means that Dex will first vibrate, if you don't react to Dex then he will beep at you as though he is an alarm clock and on snooze alarm - he will beep at you every few minutes until you clear out the alarm... for this reason, I called Dexcom within the first month as I thought Dex should be yodeling (beeping) at me at the first alert, not after snooze... so I called Dexcom and I received a new receiver (Dexcom replaced receiver for free).

If there is a problem with Dexcom (and you live in USA), Dexcom Reps have been very good about replacing for free or helping try to solve problems. I was amazed at how fast the Dex Trainer got in touch with me (before FedEx showed up at my door with good ol' Dex) and set up a time to train. She also called on me many months later just to make sure I was still happy with my yodeling Dex 7 Plus. I thought I would be able tostump her with all the questions I had and somehow she had the correct answer for every question.
Good luck with your decision on the right CGMS for you.
From: webwiz_tn

No comments:

Post a Comment