1 2 3

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Re: cgms comparison

Signe, your point is well-taken and is a good one to investigate. I have hypoglycemic unawareness, which is what I am MOST concerned about. Although I am diligent about my diabetes care and test 10 times a day, I am also forgetful. Actually, that’s a little too mild. As I put it to someone else earlier today, I am the poster-child for ADHD and do not have an internal memory. I do, however, have a cell phone/PDA which is my EXTERNAL memory and I put reminders into that for doing things that need to be done (as well as remembering appts. , etc. Soon I’ll have to add reminders to breathe and go to the bathroom, but I am not there yet.) I am expecting CGMS to help me and it would be good to know now if it can’t.

My last episode in the car, for example, was one in which I tested upon entering the car, fell asleep, and was startled and awakened by a phone call and immediately started driving. I would expect that a few things would have prevented my narrow escape on the highway. 1) I would have seen that, even though my blood sugar, when tested, was slightly above my target level, that I was trending downward and needed to compensate and 2) there would have been an alarm well before my blood sugar got into the twenties as I was driving. (I bet you’re all glad you’re not on the Massachusetts roads.)

I never go ANYWHERE without my meter (and candy in my meter case), but I will certainly forget to do things that most others would remember.

How often do you need to calibrate? Is it just the day that you put in your sensor, after waiting for it to “get wet” or is it every day? What do I need to put reminders in for?
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment