1 2 3

Monday, November 23, 2009

mood, food and life

I am not knowledgeable enough to say what the effects are to others, but,being DXd with DM for almost a year (late Jan 09) and changing my diet tohopefully less than 100 carbs in a day, I have noticed that I feel better,for the most part. I am positive that I feel better physically. I haveheartburn once in 10 months, and I think that was due to eating some pizzawith my kids (very minimal crust, but the topping is greasy compared to whatI've been eating, a glass of wine and taking a 1000 mg glucosamine after Ihad not taken any for over a week. I have to take half a pill for a fewdays and build up to it. Anyway, I used to get a lot of nausea and had ahard time discerning if it was anxiety or what I ate. My job can be prettystressful. I felt more energetic for sure for the first few months but withstress and the dark season coming on, I feel some slippage. I believe Ihave SAD (such an appropriate acronym don't you think?) so this time of yearis not easy to judge what effects what. Then throw in the holidays, well Iwon't go there tonight.

While I have read that carbs are essential to brain function, I know we getcartbs from the veggies we eat and the fruits some of us add in from time totime. I am able to eat a low carb bread by 'The Bread Garden" called CarbCurber and I know I get some fiber and carbs there too. But, if we needcarbs for brain function, it would not surprise me to find out that carbseffect our mood, both pro and con. Maybe too many carbs overload the brainand we feel mentally sluggish in response. and I'm sure too few could havea negative impact. I know we need to carefully control our carbs, I thinkwe need to, as most of us here do, look at the kind of carbs along with thecount. Complex carbs are always the better choice and then, what oursystems can handle.

Suffice to say, I do feel better, emotionally and physically, eating a verylow carb diet. Sure, I miss some foods, and with my first round of holidaysapproaching, I'm noticing some sense of loss around it, which I'm sure willget easier with time. I love eggnog and saw it in the store the other day.I thought Oh goody!! then I though, shoot! then I saw the light kind andthought, ooooh, maybe?? then I see they cut the fat but not the sugar.damn! Has anyone seen a SF eggnog out there? I sure wish..... Has anyoneever made it? I love a hot brandy and eggnog......

And my Mom, who died 3 years ago... still seems a bit like yesterday, andthe holidays are hard as I spent them with her, even as the Alzheimer's tookher, but we have a family recipe for a snack mix similar to the chex mix yousee this time of year but ours is soooooo much better. Peanuts, pretzels,rice chex and cheerios. well, as you can tell from the ingredients, it iscarb city. sigh.... I helped her make from the time I could stand on a chairand stir the melted butter with the spices. I teared up thinking I can'thave it. So I've decided to make one batch, the smell of it baking iswonderful, and figure out how many carbs is in 1/4 cup or some small sizeand see what it does to me. T&T as I've been saying to myself, taste andtest, like the ymmv. I may be able to have a bit and if not, I'll cope.

So, as I think back over what I've typed, food and mood are closely related,but, at least for me, I have to factor in life.

To the other US citizens on the list, have a good Thanksgiving and I hopeyour day is pleasant. I'm on my own this year, kids going to their Dad andhis GF's new house, Brother going with his wife's family and so my GoldenRetriever and I will do some quilting, watch a movie, take a walk and findmany things to be thankful for, first and foremost, my health, and for thislist where I've learned a lot to take better care of myself.

Posted by: "Michelle Honey"

No comments:

Post a Comment