1 2 3

Friday, January 8, 2010

[Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3863

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
disposing of test supplies From: Joe
1b.
Re: disposing of test supplies From: Jude
1c.
Re: disposing of test supplies From: Jill Ranney
2.1.
Re: insurance stuff From: Nan Cee
3a.
Re: bernstein question From: Holly Shaltz
3b.
Re: bernstein question From: Jude
3c.
Re: bernstein question From: Holly Shaltz
4a.
Re: Hello, I am new here From: Holly Shaltz
4b.
Re: Hello, I am new here From: Cindi Marshall
4c.
Re: Hello, I am new here From: Collette
4d.
Re: Hello, I am new here From: Holly Shaltz
4e.
Re: Hello, I am new here From: Jude
4f.
Re: Hello, I am new here From: Dorothy Wurth
4g.
Re: Hello, I am new here From: sktrlady@tx.rr.com
5a.
Re: you know you're diabetic when.... From: Holly Shaltz
5b.
Re: you know you're diabetic when.... From: ifer_jenn
6.
Re: sharps container From: Collette Fees
7a.
calcium sources From: sharon osborn
7b.
Re: calcium sources From: Jude
7c.
Re: calcium sources From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
8.1.
Re: Holly, role of exercise in A1c levels, etc. From: Amal
8.2.
Re: Holly, role of exercise in A1c levels, etc. From: Dorothy Wurth
9a.
Re: Sharps Containers From: Michael
9b.
Re: Sharps Containers From: Donna
10.
Insulin Pumps From: ifer_jenn

Messages

1a.

disposing of test supplies

Posted by: "Joe" jhofmann44@yahoo.com   jhofmann44

Fri Jan 8, 2010 4:16 am (PST)



Should used lancets and test strips be put in a seperate container and disposed of as medical waste? I don't do it. Most of the time I throw them in the trash can or flush them down the toilet. If I was insulin dependent then I would probably save the used syringes in a seperate container and take them to my Dr. or wherever. I had a cat that was diabetic. I took all his old syringes back to the vet for disposal.
Again...should the strips and lancets be disposed of as medical waste?

1b.

Re: disposing of test supplies

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:01 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <jhofmann44@...> wrote:
Should used lancets and test strips be put in a separate container and disposed of as medical waste?>>

The easiest thing is to use a large jug with a wide mouth, like the kind of thing liquid laundry detergent comes in. Then use it to put *everything* in-- syringes, lancets, test strips, even the tissue you used to blot up the blood from your finger. Then when it's full, tape it shut and just put it in your regular trash collection.

<<Most of the time I throw them in the trash can or flush them down the toilet>>

The toilet is a bad idea. Whether you have a town-supplied sewer service or a home-based septic system, flushing hard stuff is just a bad idea. I suppose test strips would be okay, since they're just paper, but hard plastic items really should stay out of your pipes and collection areas.

<<Again...should the strips and lancets be disposed of as medical waste?>

Technically, anything tainted with blood needs to be handled as medical waste, but again, technically, that would include those soiled tissues you used. I think putting everything in a big jug makes sense.

If you have further questions, call your town or city waste management department. My own town's website clearly says they will not accept sharps or medical waste.

AFAIK, those in the know are not concerned with individual users. OSHA and other regulatory agencies only have guidelines for hospitals, large clinics, doctors' and dental offices, places that deal with large amounts of sharps, blood-soiled items from surgery, and things like extracted teeth and removed organs, etc. We little home-based users are considered small potatoes, and as far as I've ever seen, we're free to just take care of our waste materials in any way that makes sense to us.

Judy D.

1c.

Re: disposing of test supplies

Posted by: "Jill Ranney" jill.ranney@comcast.net   jill_ranney

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:53 am (PST)



That is the most straight forward and easy advise I've ever heard. For some
reason I thought it was a law that medical waste was thrown away a special
way.

Jill

From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jude
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 4:56 AM
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: disposing of test supplies

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:Type-2-Diabetes%40yahoogroups.com> , "Joe" <jhofmann44@...> wrote:
Should used lancets and test strips be put in a separate container and
disposed of as medical waste?>>

The easiest thing is to use a large jug with a wide mouth, like the kind of
thing liquid laundry detergent comes in. Then use it to put *everything*
in-- syringes, lancets, test strips, even the tissue you used to blot up the
blood from your finger. Then when it's full, tape it shut and just put it in
your regular trash collection.

<<Most of the time I throw them in the trash can or flush them down the
toilet>>

The toilet is a bad idea. Whether you have a town-supplied sewer service or
a home-based septic system, flushing hard stuff is just a bad idea. I
suppose test strips would be okay, since they're just paper, but hard
plastic items really should stay out of your pipes and collection areas.

<<Again...should the strips and lancets be disposed of as medical waste?>

Technically, anything tainted with blood needs to be handled as medical
waste, but again, technically, that would include those soiled tissues you
used. I think putting everything in a big jug makes sense.

If you have further questions, call your town or city waste management
department. My own town's website clearly says they will not accept sharps
or medical waste.

AFAIK, those in the know are not concerned with individual users. OSHA and
other regulatory agencies only have guidelines for hospitals, large clinics,
doctors' and dental offices, places that deal with large amounts of sharps,
blood-soiled items from surgery, and things like extracted teeth and removed
organs, etc. We little home-based users are considered small potatoes, and
as far as I've ever seen, we're free to just take care of our waste
materials in any way that makes sense to us.

Judy D.

2.1.

Re: insurance stuff

Posted by: "Nan Cee" nan.cee124@yahoo.com   nan.cee124

Fri Jan 8, 2010 4:18 am (PST)



Theresa,

Type into the Google space "medicaid eligibility California" and it
will bring up the website that covers just about every question you might
have regarding medicaid. You should be able to complete a questionnaire on the site that will
let you know IF you are eligible for benefits and, if so, how much you are
eligible for.
� I know this works for the state of Texas. You can even apply for
food stamps on there and don't need to go into the office.� That was a
real shocker to me.
� Nancy

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Theresa Markese <luciousgreeneyedlad y@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>If there is anyone who lives in or around Covina, California I really need some help.  This poor economy has hit home. My full time job has been cut to a part time job. Which now means minus 1/2 pay every month and if that is not bad enough, my medical insurance has been cancelled. I a freaking out!  I am now barely making enough money to pay my rent. Is there somewhere around here that can help me pay for my medications? Should I look for a free clinic? I'm scared and I have no idea where to start.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Theresa
>
>

3a.

Re: bernstein question

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:35 am (PST)



Judy writes:

<<Which is all fine and dandy if a) your glucose
isn't so high that simple, even drastic or
"extreme" dietary changes alone can't get a handle
on it-- I mean, let's face it, some folks are
diagnosed with 14.0+ A1c's and are half dead--
those people would be ill-advised to be told to
stop eating carbs except for a few carrots and
some broccoli every day-- how many could even
begin to do it or even want to do it?>>

Judy, that's a *major* exaggeration, and you know
it :)

Bernstein doesn't put people on a starvation diet,
and if someone comes to him with BGs that high, he
both puts them on insulin (according to his book,
but of course there are probably many exceptions -
he makes it clear he "negotiates" - his term -
treatment to meet his patients' physical and other
needs) and aims for a BG goal that's not all the
way down to non-diabetic at first. Just like
you've often said here, he recognizes that someone
who's routinely been at a BG of 400+ will often
feel low as BG drops down below 200, and he wants
to ease that transition.

Carrots, actually, are high-carb and so not on his
list of "allowed" veggies - along with tomatoes
and onions used in amounts more than just for a
little flavoring. He'd probably be horrified at
the carbs in that pot roast recipe - I know I was
<g> I do eat a small slice of tomato
occasionally, use onions for flavoring once in a
long while (not more often because it makes me
crave chocolate - go figure! :), and have a small
piece of fresh carrot once in a while - maybe once
a week (small being 1/2 - 3/4" long, maybe 3/8" in
diameter). Amazing what a treat that has become!

Other than that, a partial list would include
broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, spinach,
brussels sprouts, eggplant, celery, radishes,
turnips, snow peas, snap beans, pumpkin, summer
squash, zucchini..... there's dozens of other
veggies that can be eaten.

And then the protein is much more generous than on
the ADA diet, and fat isn't severely limited. In
fact, it's plenty of food, yet allows for
management of BGs *and* weight loss. Plus reduces
cravings - I craved all the time on the ADA diet,
in spite of (actually, because of) the servings of
bread, etc allowed. It's well known that eating
carby foods results in cravings for more. NOT my
idea of a good time :)

<<b) if you've got a handle on your own
psychological and physical food-issue parameters
enough to even want to "diet" (and let's face it
again, this is GOING to feel like a diet,
"die-with-a-T", at least at first) or be able to
face dieting and weight loss. Foodies sometimes
just cannot diet, for whatever reason.>>

And the ADA recommendations don't feel like a
diet? <g> No one can force another person to
follow a particular food plan or diet. The
willingness to make major WOE/WOL changes has to
come from within. Then having the right tools to
make it happen is important. I was in OA for many
years and didn't lose anything I didn't gain right
back, even on a relatively low-carb diet (gray
sheet it was called back in the 80s in New
England), because I lacked that one important
tool: a BG meter.

If a person isn't willing to try to bring down the
BGs, then nothing Bernstein or the ADA or any
other authority can recommend will do any good at
all.

The goal isn't weight loss, it's normalizing (to
whatever level makes sense for a given diabetic at
a given time) BGs. As that happens via limiting
the carbs eaten, weight loss results, leading to a
positive spiral of better BGs - more weight loss -
better BGs.

<<And so some need meds! >>

<sighing> Judy, I know we disagree on many things
:) We have a whole different approach to the
management of our own cases of diabetes. But I
have NEVER EVER said or implied I disapproved of
meds in general for diabetics. Nor does Bernstein
say anything against using meds, except for those
which force the pancreas to excrete more insulin.
His goal is to minimize the needs for
medications, *just to avoid dangerous lows such as
you have described many times here*.

I am on meds myself. I expect to go off that last
drug shortly because Bernstein's method worked for
me, and I'm glad of that as the eczema will
finally go away and I'll save a little money. But
I have nothing against appropriate meds,
prescribed in a sensible manner, that don't make
things worse than when the patient started, and
which are watched carefully to make sure that it
has the intended effect, reduced as things
improve, and eliminated if possible. YES, some
diabetics need meds. I said that, will continue
to say that.

<<For a doc to tell a 300 pound T2, newly
diagnosed with a 14.0 A1c (or really anything over
about 10.0) to stop all bread, cereal, crackers,
pasta, rice, potatoes, milk, fruit, fruit juice
and get their carbs from veggies alone... what new
diabetic wouldn't be shocked back onto their
keisters?>>

What new diabetic isn't already shocked onto
her/his keister when first faced with the ADA
diet? Reduced amounts of *all* types of foods,
especially those such a severe diabetic craves the
most, weighing and measuring and writing it all
down to keep track? And let's remember, my own
A1C was 11.1 at diagnosis, so I fit in the
category you're describing. I was told I ate
healthy, that changes for my diabetes management
would be easy for me. No, it wasn't easy - it's
not easy for anyone, except maybe someone who'd
done Atkins and had been comfortable with it (is
there such a critter? :)

There's life - GOOD life - without milk! Without
fruit, without bread, without potatoes, rice, even
popcorn :) But, for the zillionth time, probably
most people can achieve near-normal BGs without
giving up as much as I've had to give up.

<<Bernstein is not for everyone. For those who are
healthy enough physically to get along without
meds, who can face a life without carbs, for
whatever reasons, and who are motivated to the max
for their own personal reasons, what he preaches
makes perfect sense. But not everyone has the
wherewithal to eat 30 grams of carbs a day long
term.>>

No one knows until they try. And YET AGAIN, I AM
ON MEDS. I have been from the beginning. And
with a risk for heart attack that was very high,
80 pound overweight, unable to walk more than a
few feet, in constant pain, I could not have been
described as "healthy" when I was diagnosed 16
months ago.

And, yet again, not everyone needs to eat 30 g of
carb a day or less. Most bodies can probably
handle more carbs and do just fine with the BGs.
Bernstein's recommendation of 30 comes from years
of experience with himself as a T1 and the
hundreds, maybe thousands, of T1 and T2 patients
he's worked with. In that vast experience, he has
found that 30 g of carb is comfortable for many
once they get over the shock and horror :) and see
the benefits, and it allows the smallest possible
dosage of meds and/or insulin to normalize BGs.
Which in turn leads to the smallest possible risk
of serious lows from any source.

I know you don't like the idea of giving up carbs.
No one is asking you to make that change :) But
please, don't keep exaggerating how "horrible"
Bernstein's approach is. For *some* of us, it's
the only path to a reasonably healthy life, and a
life without milk is well worth feeling 1,000,000%
better each and every day.

I accept your WOE/L. Please accept mine. And we
can both offer our perspectives so that others on
the list can pick and choose the combination that
will work for them, wherever they are at moment.

Holly in MI

3b.

Re: bernstein question

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:06 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Holly Shaltz <holly@...> wrote: And then the protein is much more generous than on the ADA diet, and fat isn't severely limited>>

Do you know how he handles those who have heart disease and high cholesterol and triglycerides? I suppose as long as the fats are of the unsaturated variety, they're okay. And for those with kidney disease, who are supposed to eat low-protein, what does he recommend? Just curious. I could look it up in my own book... if it ever comes! <G>

But anyway, yeah, protein and fats could never be as restricted as the carbs are in Bernstein's WOE, or the person would be left with nothing to eat and not enough daily calories.

<< The willingness to make major WOE/WOL changes has to come from within>>

Of course. My point was that not everyone has that willingness or even wants to have it, for whatever reasons of their own. Deeply entrenched bad eating habits of a lifetime, and/or psychological dependence on the use of food to alter mood and as a coping mechanism, etc, can be a Mt. Everest not everyone can even begin to scale.

> <sighing> Judy, I know we disagree on many things We have a whole different approach to the management of our own cases of diabetes. But I have NEVER EVER said or implied I disapproved of meds in general for diabetics>>

I was answering our new list sib's questions from earlier-- she asked why did some diabetics not want to take meds, why was it deemed better not to take them, etc. My comments were not aimed at your specifically.

> I know you don't like the idea of giving up carbs. No one is asking you to make that change>>

I eat about 100-120 a day or so. I feel as though I've already given up so much... Just not willing to face life without popcorn and bread and a glass of milk once in a while... such a wicked wild life we lead, eh? lol I mean, I can do anything short term, god knows I have, and I have no lack of will power, but we all have to decide how to get where we're going, for sure.

I saw a new doc yesterday who was bowled over by my current 6.0 A1c-- my god, she must see some really messed up T2s. Her practice works with obese people, and she told me she sees diabetics come in all the time, people who have had the disease for literally years, who never test, don't know what a carb is or what it does, and have no idea what's going on with their blood glucose. How sad, huh?

<<:) But please, don't keep exaggerating how "horrible" Bernstein's approach is>>

Don't put words in my mouth; I never said horrible. I just said it's not the answer (and doesn't have to be) for everyone, which I think you and I agree on, 100%.

> I accept your WOE/L. Please accept mine>>

I promise to stop talking about it then. If you've ever got a whiff of non-acceptance from me about your devotion to Dr B, his WOE, and the life transformations you have enjoyed because of what you've done and continue to do, I have seriously been missing the mark in the communication department. I think I've told you often enough how proud I am of you for coming so far in such a short time, and I have never, ever, even hinted that you should change anything you're doing.

As always, this, as most things we chat about here, is a YMMV thing-- your mileage may vary. Sometimes that can seem frustrating when we've found a path that works so well for us, but... having options is a good thing, in my book,as I said earlier, as long as we each get to our goals, whatever they are, in a reasonable time frame and can stay reasonably healthy.

Judy D.

3c.

Re: bernstein question

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:40 am (PST)



Judy writes:

<<Do you know how he handles those who have heart
disease and high cholesterol and triglycerides? >>

His reasoning is that, as BGs are *normalized* to
non-diabetic levels, that cholesterol trends
toward normal as well. He gives the example of
his own situation - having had high cholesterol
until he got his BGs down to normal, and then
doing much better. I've certainly seen my own
numbers improve dramatically in just a year,
without any cholesterol meds.

I'm not sure what "heart disease" is beyond high
cholesterol - if it refers to someone who's
actually had a heart attack, all I can say is,
getting the BGs down to normal levels couldn't
hurt; beyond that, see a cardiologist :)

I've read in many places that just reducing carb
intake very low - not even quite as low as
Bernstein - reduces cholesterol even in
non-diabetics. I have no idea what the mechanism
is for that change.

<<And for those with kidney disease, who are
supposed to eat low-protein, what does he recommend?>>

Low carb doesn't mean *high* protein, it just
means a little higher than usual in a higher-carb
diet.

Not surprisingly, he argues that kidney disease
isn't related to protein consumption, but instead
is the result of high BGs. He has a whole
subsection of a chapter (pgs 450-455) devoted to
the description of how kidney disease develops,
how it got the reputation for being worsened by
"too much" protein in the diet, and references to
studies in which people were followed for 2 years
and more, with protein amounts and kidney damage
tracked, with the result that "too much" protein
didn't do the damage, high BGs do. He summarizes
near the end of this section:

"Diabetic nephropathy does not appear if blood
sugar is kept normal. Dietary protein does not
cause diabetic nephropathy, but can possible
(still uncertain) *slightly* accelerate the
process once there has been major irreversible
kidney damage. Dietary protein has no substantial
effect upon the GFR of healthy kidneys, certainly
not in comparison to the GFR increase caused by
elevated blood sugar levels."

He doesn't make recommendations regarding how much
protein to eat where there's been irreversible
kidney damage - that would be irresponsible in a
book intended for a general audience.

<<having options is a good thing, in my book,as I
said earlier, as long as we each get to our goals,
whatever they are, in a reasonable time frame and
can stay reasonably healthy.>>

For sure we agree on that :)

Holly in MI

4a.

Re: Hello, I am new here

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:57 am (PST)



Collette writes:

<<My biggest problem with the diabetes is that you
have to eat.>>

The biggest problem for each and every one of us,
so you're not alone in that concern! Have you
been to your local diabetes classes yet? I really
believe it's the best place to start learning
about day-to-day living with diabetes. It's run
by the local Diabetes Nurse Educator (DNE), and is
paid for by most insurance programs. You will
likely also have a solo session with her, where
she will look at your doctor's treatment plan and
help you figure out how to manage everything.

The classes (4 total) teach about food following
the recommendations of the American Diabetes
Association (ADA), exercise, using the BG (blood
glucose - most of us prefer the BG abbreviation
when typed to the more commonly spoken blood sugar
- BS :) meter effectively, the various meds used
to treat diabetes and how they work, complications
and how to minimize their risks, how to treat and
avoid low blood sugar, etc. You will also meet
other diabetics, and maybe make some new friends :)

<< I do good if I eat once a day. >>

Few of us diabetics can do that, even if not on
meds, because the amount of food needed to keep a
body going, all crammed into one meal, will
usually send the BG sky-high. Even if the rest of
the day is in the normal range, having the BG
fluctuate that severely can lead to damage to the
body.

The same quantity of food, eaten in 3 or more
meals a day, might manage your BGs just fine. Use
your meter to find out what works for your body.
To do that, test just before you eat (fasting BG),
then at 1 hour, then (this worked best for me and
might help you) every half hour until the BG
starts to come back down again.

Over time, you will see a pattern in how your body
responds to the food you eat, especially those
that are carby - starches, sugars, starchy veggies
- and be able to choose what to eat and/or how
much in order to keep you BGs in a healthy range.

Sorry to not be more specific in what and how much
to eat - as you can see from our exchanges on the
list, there's LOTS of controversy around that
topic :) Bottom line is what *your* meter tells
you about *your* body and its ability to handle
carbs. That, plus *your* BG goals, wherever they
are right now.

And, of course, there's just as much controversy
on what constitutes a healthy BG goal <g> For
most of us, it's a work in progress - always
learning something new, applying it, assessing the
results, moving on to the next bit of information.
And hopefully, always feeling a little better as
we travel...

Holly in MI

4b.

Re: Hello, I am new here

Posted by: "Cindi Marshall" cjmobxnc@embarqmail.com   cindimarshall196327909

Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:10 am (PST)



Hello, Collette, and welcome to the group! There are lots of people here
with very extensive knowledge of the big D (lots more knowledge than I have)
and I am sure they will be able to give you lots of advice on eating,
testing, and the other issues that you have going on in your life.

Once again, welcome to the group!

Cindi

From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Collette
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:45 PM
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Hello, I am new here

Hi, my name is Collette. I am 43 years old, I live in Wichita, KS. I have 2
boys, ages 19 and 21.

I was dx'd with Diabetes Oct. 28, 2009. So, I am pretty new at this. I have
several other health problems, lupus, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, and it goes
on.

My biggest problem with the diabetes is that you have to eat. I do good if I
eat once a day.

4c.

Re: Hello, I am new here

Posted by: "Collette" cofees@yahoo.com   cofees

Fri Jan 8, 2010 7:34 am (PST)



I see my doctor next month. I have been testing my blood, twice a day, when I remember. They pretty much stay between 80 and 137. I would eat more, but I forget, don't have time, and I am never hungry. Does anyone have a solution to that? I just recently went through a diabetes class, and they told me what to do, but that is too much food. They want me to have 4 carb points per meal, and 1 for snacks. I now (within the last few days) have an in-home aide. She is really good at making sure I take my tests. My problem still is figuring out what are carbs. I know bread, pasta, peas and corn. I am still questioning the rest. Well I am rambling, better go. Thanks for caring.

Collette

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Jude" <peridotjude@...> wrote:
>
> --- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Collette" <cofees@> wrote:
> Hi, my name is Collette. I am 43 years old, I live in Wichita, KS. I have 2 boys, ages 19 and 21. I was dx'd with Diabetes Oct. 28, 2009. So, I am pretty new at this. I have several other health problems, lupus, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, and it goes on. My biggest problem with the diabetes is that you have to eat. I do good if I eat once a day.>
>
> Welcome to the list, Collette. Are you due to see your doctor again soon to see how you're doing? Are you home testing to see how your glucose levels are running?
>
> Starvation is not good for anyone, much less anyone dealing with several chronic illness. A grazing WOE works, three mini-meals and three snacks a day is the healthiest. I'm not talking more food, just more spread out food.
>
> Have you seen a nutritionist to even find out what you should be eating, should you find yourself so inclined?
>
> Judy D.
>

4d.

Re: Hello, I am new here

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:17 am (PST)



Collette writes:

<<I would eat more, but I forget, don't have time,
and I am never hungry. Does anyone have a solution
to that?>>

Well, I've not had the problem of not being hungry
at mealtimes :) But I use a timer to remind me of
my exercise, and would certainly use it to remind
me of meals, if needed.

<< I just recently went through a diabetes class,
and they told me what to do, but that is too much
food. They want me to have 4 carb points per meal,
and 1 for snacks.>>

It's too much food - carby food, anyway - for many
of us. You have to keep testing to see what is
too much for *your* body.

Do you need to gain, lose, or maintain your
weight? That will play into it as well. If you
need to lose weight like most of us, reducing your
carb consumption may help. When I did that at
first I was hungry all the time because I kept my
protein level low like the ADA recommends, but
then someone on this list advised raising my
protein. I've since read a minimum of 10.5 ounces
is necessary for most adults to maintain their
muscle mass, so I typically eat 11 ounces of
protein a day now (3 at breakfast, 4 at lunch, 4
at supper). That keeps me from being hungry until
30 minutes or so before the next meal.

<<My problem still is figuring out what are carbs.
I know bread, pasta, peas and corn. I am still
questioning the rest.>>

It takes a while both to figure out what foods are
high in carbs, and how those carbs affect your
body. I practically have it all by heart now :)
but for those who don't, you can look up food
nutritional information on the USDA website:
<http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/>

For foods that are packaged, you can also consult
the nutritional labels - compare serving size
(often given in ounces, but sometimes a volume
measurement or a number count) and total grams of
carbohydrate (15 g of carb = 1 "exchange" of carb
in the ADA diet) and total grams of protein (7 g
of protein = 1 ounce = 1 exchange or serving) in
that serving.

In the meantime, think "starchy" foods - those are
the ones that are high in carbs and have the
potential to raise your BGs too high. In addition
to those you listed, rice (brown or white),
potatoes, dry beans, and anything made of flour or
other grains, sweetened or not. You may be able
to eat small, measured amounts of some of these
foods - or you may find they're just not
compatible with your body and BG goals right now.

The ADA diet you were given in the diabetes
classes is just a starting point. It gets us
thinking in terms of measuring and writing down
our foods, eating on some sort of a schedule, and
what constitutes a "carb" and what doesn't. As
you get used to that, and test Test TEST your BGs
around what you eat, you'll figure out what your
body can handle, and chances are you'll end up
with a foodplan that's comfortably tailored to
*your* body. It may resemble the ADA diet, or it
may not - the point is that it works for *you* in
managing your diabetes.

Again, not any hard guidelines for you - OTOH, all
the flexibility in the world to figure out what
works for you :)

Holly in MI

4e.

Re: Hello, I am new here

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:17 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Collette" <cofees@...> wrote:
<snip> My problem still is figuring out what are carbs. I know bread, pasta, peas and corn. I am still questioning the rest>

If you can afford the 9 bucks, get yourself a small pocket sized paperback book called Calorie King-- get the 2010 version, at any bookstore or on amazon. The book contains a short tutorial about diabetes (why you got it, what's happening, how to get it to back off, etc) and digestion. It also is a nutritional guide, and he explains in there about food sources, the role of protein, carbs and fats in a healthy diet. The rest of the book has a wonderful list of all the common foods, including brand name stuff, and there are portion sizes listed and then calorie, carb and fat amounts for each. It's an easy book to use, definitely dumbed down just enough so everyone can understand, but it's not too elementary. I think you'd get a lot of good use out of it.

Barring that, go to the internet for nutritional info. Here's a good website to start you off:
http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/food_and_nutrition/carb_counting.html

Judy D.

4f.

Re: Hello, I am new here

Posted by: "Dorothy Wurth" dottie.wurth@yahoo.com   dottie.wurth

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:53 am (PST)





--- On Fri, 1/8/10, Collette <cofees@yahoo.com> wrote:"I now (within the last few days) have an in-home aide. She is really good at making sure I take my tests."

Hi Collette,
Welcome to the group.  It is great that you have an in-home aide now.  You can use the aid to help you make a meal plan that will work for you and remind you to eat.  If you haven't already completed your "plan of care" or even if you have, call the nurse that came out to assess you and tell that person that you need help with meal planning and reminders.  That will help you more than anything else I could suggest.  I hope being part of this group can be encouraging and give you hope.  Take good care.
Dottie

4g.

Re: Hello, I am new here

Posted by: "sktrlady@tx.rr.com" sktrlady@tx.rr.com   sktrlady

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:54 am (PST)



You need to get you a carb book that lists carbs. Carbs are in cheeses, fruits, etc.

1/2 a cup of potato, corn etc equals 1 carb point or 15 grams

1 slice bread = 1 carb point

a hamburger bun = 2 carb points

a banana = 2 carb points while an apple equals 1 carb point

Eventually you will get so you know them but until you do get you a carb book.

---- Collette <cofees@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I see my doctor next month. I have been testing my blood, twice a day, when I remember. They pretty much stay between 80 and 137. I would eat more, but I forget, don't have time, and I am never hungry. Does anyone have a solution to that? I just recently went through a diabetes class, and they told me what to do, but that is too much food. They want me to have 4 carb points per meal, and 1 for snacks. I now (within the last few days) have an in-home aide. She is really good at making sure I take my tests. My problem still is figuring out what are carbs. I know bread, pasta, peas and corn. I am still questioning the rest. Well I am rambling, better go. Thanks for caring.
>
> Collette
>

5a.

Re: you know you're diabetic when....

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:10 am (PST)



Diane writes:

<<I never realized that bg could change that
rapidly just from doing ordinary every day things.>>

It does for *me* - doesn't mean it will for *you*
- I certainly hope not, it's rather a pain :)

<<Only kidding half way, I will have to bring my
monitor with me next time I go shopping just for
the hell of it.>>

Quite seriously, it's a good idea to have a meter
with you *everywhere* you go. Even when treatment
is on an even keel, something can go wonky and
cause a low unexpectedly - so it's a darn good
idea to also have glucose tablets with that meter,
even if you don't need them in a pants pocket like
I do :)

With both the meter brands I've used, I sent for a
second meter by the same company that used the
same strips. It's free, and easy to get. One
always lives in my purse, the other is at home,
kept in a convenient place in my kitchen with the
binder I write my food, exercise, and BG test
results in.

I rotate the strips so that I never have a vial
expire - when I need a new vial in the home meter,
I take the one from my purse to use at home, and
put a brand-new, unopened vial in my purse's kit.

As important as a medical ID tag is, I think
having a meter with every time I leave the house
is even more important. No, I don't take one when
I just go for a walk on our land or do some
gardening, usually (when my fluctuations have been
worse than normal, I do, to help figure out how to
prevent those fluctuations). But if I get in the
car to go anywhere, even just to the grocery, I
take my meter.

I didn't have a purse I liked, and couldn't find
one to buy, that would fit my new drug
paraphernalia <g>, so I designed and sewed one
with plenty of space and pockets - even made a
quilted pouch that will hold a small freezer pack
and 4 string cheeses. I keep it in the freezer,
and pop it in my purse when I'm likely to need a
snack while I'm out. I surely hate warm cheese -
even more, I hate needing to eat something while
out and only being able to find stuff I'd love to
eat but will send my BG sky-high! :)

Holly in MI
who only needed to be caught short a couple times
before learning how to prevent it happening again!

5b.

Re: you know you're diabetic when....

Posted by: "ifer_jenn" thinking78@hotmail.com   ifer_jenn

Fri Jan 8, 2010 7:31 am (PST)



Holly,

You are not alone in the shopping lows. More than once I have needed to find something for my lows while shopping. I think for me though, in additon to the extra walking, I will get involved and my meal will end up being late because I am trying to accomplish so much.

Jenn

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Holly Shaltz <holly@...> wrote:
>
> Diane writes:
>
> <<Holly, am I understanding that going shopping
> gives you lows? What's that
> about? what kind of shopping are you doing?
> I'm really confused. Because shopping doesn't seem
> like such a big thing to
> me, unless I'm doing it wrong???>>
>
> Shopping makes me feel very woozy.

6.

Re: sharps container

Posted by: "Collette Fees" cofees@yahoo.com   cofees

Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:13 am (PST)



I went to a Diabetes class, and they said an old bleach bottle would work. I have seen them however at Walgreens for less than $4.00.

Collette
7a.

calcium sources

Posted by: "sharon osborn" shaross8@gmail.com   osborn.sharon

Fri Jan 8, 2010 7:34 am (PST)



So where is everyone getting that from, supplements? Yet another
pill? I adore Nancy's nonfat yogurt, it has become a 'rich' food, and
nonfat milk, a glass occasionally, and still, I don't feel I'm getting
enough calcium. There's always green stuff...as long as it's alot and
the right shade of green, eh.
gards,
share o' walla walla, wa US

7b.

Re: calcium sources

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:11 am (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, sharon osborn <shaross8@...> wrote: So where is everyone getting that from, supplements? Yet another
pill? <snip> I don't feel I'm getting enough calcium>

The cheapest, most convenient way to get extra calcium is chewing on Tums antacid tablets a couple times a day.
Judy D.

7c.

Re: calcium sources

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:53 am (PST)



And incidentally those antacids typically have a gram or so of sugar in them. So maybe they could serve as the "bits" being discussed in here.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jude
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 12:09 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: calcium sources

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, sharon osborn <shaross8@...> wrote: So where is everyone getting that from, supplements? Yet another
pill? <snip> I don't feel I'm getting enough calcium>

The cheapest, most convenient way to get extra calcium is chewing on Tums antacid tablets a couple times a day.
Judy D.

8.1.

Re: Holly, role of exercise in A1c levels, etc.

Posted by: "Amal" amal_mba10@yahoo.com   amal_mba10

Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:08 am (PST)





--- On Thu, 1/7/10, Holly Shaltz <holly@shaltzfarm.com> wrote:Well, in a manner of speaking, controlling

diabetes with diet and exercise is a natural

alternative :) Can you give us an idea of how

quickly into the disease most diabetics there are

diagnosed? What sorts of "natural alternatives"

are used? What degree of control over their BGs

and/or A1C do they typically get? And what sort

of diet and exercise are recommended there?

***************Holly, The staple food in the Middle East is rice.  We are open to all other cultures so we cook Italian, Mexican, Lebanese, Palestinian, Indian dishes including  the traditional cuisines of the Persian/Arabian Gulf region.  All diabetics that I know do not follow a special diet or go low-carb.  They just watch portion size which is what I do as well.  As you rightly said, controlling BG via diet and exercise is in fact a natural alternative.  Diabetics on medications and insulin do that as well.  Taking drugs or insulin does not allow us to indulge in carby foods.  Ok we do that at times, on some occasions like a party or something but not everyday.  By natural I meant something that helps you achieve your BG goals besides medications.  I had success with Fenugreek, Bitter Melon and cinnamon to a certain extent plus a  Blood Sugar Formula from Nature's Way.  In Bahrain, diabetes is soaring just like
the rest of the world (for some reason).  The doctors in the public health centres are very alert on this issue and run sugar tests on most of their patients.  If a patient comes in with something like "I feel dizzy all the time" or "I have a headache" or "I have a skin rash" and the list is endless,  they immediately  run a random test followed by a fasting test the next day.  Hundreds of people get tested each day for any symptom that may be attributed to diabetes.  This way many get diagnosed early on.   Also, patients are advised always to do a sugar test at least every 2 years if family history exists.   I was diagnosed with elevated blood pressure in 2003 which is when I started an MBA degree.  To me, it only meant pressing commitments at work  plus the stress of attaining an academic degree.  I did not take medications although prescribed some and was advised by the doctor to check my BP regularly.  I bought a monitor and started a
home test every week.  The numbers were a bit less than the doctor's office always.  Because of my BP, the doctor at the health centre ordered a glucose test so many times and on every occasion I do not do it.  My priorities were getting back to work ASAP and no way do I wait when I see a ticket for No. 50 or so and a long queue outside the lab.  When I go back to the doctor, she asks me to come in next day for a fasting glucose test instead and I still miss doing it because next day is either a conference, or a workshop or a training course or an important meeting.  Seriously I could have been diagnosed earlier but I am to blame and no one else.  Getting diagnosed at a 6 or even 7 is better than 10.6!  At my last place of work (I left 2007), the trade union in liaison with one of the reputable private hospitals run free medical checkups for all staff like once a year.  It is not mandatory but many people benefit from this free test.  Things
checked are weight, height, BP and glucose.  For so many years, I never bothered to take the test.  The priority was work and nothing else at that time!  So you see I missed getting an early diagnosis many times because my priorities were not set right.  In Bahrain, special places are also set up in areas around the country on the annual World Diabetes Day and people who choose to come in can have a free glucose test.   Many discover that they are diabetic by accident even though they have  no symptoms whatsoever.  Our insurance does not cover annual medical check-ups neither does it cover diabetic supplies, testing equipment, test strips or yearly eye exams, etc. When I was insured, only visits to the endo and medications were reimbursed.  I had to pay for everything else.  Now, I am not insured and bear all the costs myself, not that I miss such an insurance.  It would have been useful though, for my gallbladder surgery but diabetes wise
insurance was useless.  There are many herbal shops around the country.  I do not use such herbal mixes because the bottles do not indicate what the mixture is composed off but many people use them and get good results.  I asked once for the ingredients and was told that they cannot say what the mixture is.  A few herbal shops do mention some of the ingredients only.  I like to research each item before it passes my lips so have only used Nature's Way products. Acupuncture is used to treat many diseases too, high BP, diabetes etc.  I understand that some people do not believe in these treatments but I have seen diabetics go for a session every 6 months or so.  They claim it helps them with the disease in a way or another.  I tried it once only during the first month of diagnosis.  At that time I was not on any medication but was drinking an extract of a desert plant.  This did help in reducing my numbers to an extent.   Camel's milk is also
good.  It is light, low or no cholesterol and helps with high BGs.  I drank it for sometime only. We have to travel to the farms in Saudi Arabia as it is not available in the markets here so far.  The diabetics I know have maintained good control of the disease over the years.  My A1C and my dad's is in the mid 4's.  My uncles and aunts A1C reside in the mid 5's..  The guidelines are same as elsewhere, below 7 or 6.5 though my endo wants me below 5.5.  He prefers 5 to 5.4 always.  I am in the mid 4's now and if I have no problems getting there he is not so concerned though he doesn't want to see anything below 4.5%. The diabetes clinic at the public health centre provide some handouts to newly diagnosed patients on what their meal portion size should look like from now on.  They give guidelines on what a typical meal plan should be in a day in order to help patients develop their own plans in line with the recommendations.  They advise
patients to eat minimal amounts of high-carb foods  like rice, bread, potatoes etc.  and where appropriate substitute it with brown.  As far as exercise is concerned, there are brochures and posters advising patients to walk at least 30 minutes every day.  Patients are free to choose other exercises that suit them if they want.  My message is very long!  Sorry for that :)  I hope you find it useful. Amal   

8.2.

Re: Holly, role of exercise in A1c levels, etc.

Posted by: "Dorothy Wurth" dottie.wurth@yahoo.com   dottie.wurth

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:54 am (PST)



Amal wrote an account of how diabetes is diagnosed and managed in Bahrain.
 
 Thank you Amal for the time you put into your thoughtful account of how diabetes is managed by you, your family, and in Bahrain in general.  It is very hopeful to me that you can achieve such good results without completely changing your way of life and eating.  You can still enjoy occasional feast days and the foods that are important to you.  I have tried the herbal supplements you mentioned, but I didn't notice any real benefit from them.  Again, I thank you for your post.
Dottie

--- On Fri, 1/8/10, Amal <amal_mba10@yahoo.com> wrote:

 

9a.

Re: Sharps Containers

Posted by: "Michael" bigbear@acsalaska.net   bigbear_ak

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:01 am (PST)



You're talking about pen needles, right? They do have a "needle"
on both sides but the side that screws into your pen should be
perfectly safe to dispose of unless you accidentally got blood
into your pen/syringe. That side is not sharp like the side that
goes into your skin so you shouldn't need to worry about
pets/people getting stuck by it.

--Michael

On Thu Jan 07 21:14:50 CST 2010, Tami <vze1k0d8@verizon.net>
wrote:

> The safe clip sounds cool but the thing i use has a needle on
> both sides. I am afraid my dog or cats will get in the basket and
> get ahold of it.
9b.

Re: Sharps Containers

Posted by: "Donna" sdbmshad@yahoo.com   sdbmshad

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:52 am (PST)



We use laundry bottles. Fabric Softner, Color Safe Bleach, Laundry Soap, and Bleach bottles. I write USED DIABETIC SUPPLIES on it several times. Peal the lable when I can. I asked about it from the town, health department, and the dump and was told by all that I don't need to do anything special. I feel just tossing them is dangerous to others so we use this method. When we are out we use empty pill bottles until we can get home to dispose of in the bottle. (The orange clear ones). It makes life a bit easier on us. I duct tape the lid closed when filled. I also throw the Lantus pen in there. Not necessary but at the same time I would hate to think of an animal chewing on it.
Call your local health department and ask and also talk to you trash removal company.
Our CDE also brought up using the laundry bottles and how to mark them with the phrase we write on it.
HTH
Take care
Donna

10.

Insulin Pumps

Posted by: "ifer_jenn" thinking78@hotmail.com   ifer_jenn

Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:57 am (PST)



I am considering requesting an insulin pump next week at the endo.
I am currently taking 3 short acting shot and 1 long acting shot. I am active outside my home and wanted to know the pros and cons.

Thanks!

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Group Charity

Stop Cyberbullying

Keep your kids

safe from bullying

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Learn about issues

Find support

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Explore green tips

and resources

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment