1 2 3

Thursday, January 7, 2010

[diabetes] Digest Number 9137

Messages In This Digest (6 Messages)

1a.
Re: bg levels and januvia From: shecat
2a.
In the Hospital... From: Anne R
2b.
Re: In the Hospital... From: Linda
2c.
Re: In the Hospital... From: Anne R
3a.
BG levels and januvia From: Anya
3b.
Re: BG levels and januvia From: BK

Messages

1a.

Re: bg levels and januvia

Posted by: "shecat" bradfords67@yahoo.co.uk   bradfords67

Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:43 am (PST)



I have been taking Januvia for a few months now and I found that with proper diet control and the help of another tablet I'm taking for Diabetes (I am type 2) my sugars are a bit lower if not perfect yet but I think the Januvia takes time to work and I agree with an earlier post which said if your readings drop don't overmedicate, stay calm and take half a glass of milk and a few glucose tablets and retest half an hour later. I think Januvia is working gradually for myself is what I'm trying to say.. Whew! I am sorry if this makes little sense, I am up to high do just now waiting to hear if a hospital bed is available for me today, I am due to be admitted and for my major operation to go ahead tomorrow morning....aaaaaa...I'm nervous can you tell??

Sheila
Bluesie is my Hero ! Passion surrounds Love and I am always dizzy when I am around her.------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: "BK" <kinney49@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:18:33
To: <diabetes@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [diabetes] Re: bg levels and januvia

--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "gigles_1955" <fgigles55@...> wrote:
when I was diag. type 2 in Oct. 09 my BG was 165 -189. I was put on Januvia at this time.My bg levels have been anywhere from 118 - 170 for a while but were started to get more under control with 118-130. This past few days it has been low to mid 90"s.Am I still suppose to take Januvia when it is this low?Will that make my gb drop to even lower and poss. dangerous levels?I have a call in to my drs. but dont know when he will call me back.I know you can't give medical advice but your opinion on this would be appreciated.Also what would make it drop to this "normal" level all of a sudden and stay there? Is it possible the Januvia just kicked in? thanks.jean>

Don't do anything about changing your Januvia dosing until your doc OKs it.

Just keep testing around your meals and don't worry about being too low until you start to see numbers under 75ish. You might feel a bit woozy at 90 or under, but you don't need to treat a low until it's under 70. If you do get that low, try not to overtreat-- a half cup of milk or OJ or 3 or 4 glucose tablets should do it, and test again in a half hour or so to make sure the level came up.

No, I doubt the med is just now kicking in. Usually the oral meds are pretty well titrated in less than a week. Are you losing weight? That could certainly make a difference. Plus it's the nature of diabetes to take up to 4-6 months to really come into control, once therapy is started, however the new diabetic is treated. At about 10 weeks out, that sounds about right to me.

So anyhoo, for now, wait for the doc's office to call. He might lower your dosage, or he might say hooray, this is where you need to be.

~BK~

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

In the Hospital...

Posted by: "Anne R" aemr911@gmail.com   aemr911

Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:43 am (PST)



Hi All~

If anyone is wondering where I am, I was admitted to United Hospital last
night after having 3 or 4 episodes since midnight of getting dizzy, my brain
swimming, vision changes, and falling on my butt or walking into a wall then
falling down. Each time I did this as soon as I got my butt off the floor
I did my BG and it was 249 just before I drove myself to the hospital... I
know bad patient. But I seem to be okay except for my headache when I am
sitting down, these episodes don't seem to happen when I am just sitting.
But when they do happen my headache gets much worse. Tylenol and Ibuprofen
aren't even touching it at this point.

They think I have the flu again. I was started on Tamiflu again too. And
they up'd my steroids again, so my BGs are really high again. For
curiosity I did my BG a little bit ago and it is still 280. And all I have
had since getting up here last night (after 8p last night) is 4 pieces of PB
toast, apple juice, orange juice, and water.. and that was only because I
missed dinner all together sitting in the ER.

I am illegally using the hospital computer so this will be short. It is for
STAFF ONLY, but we all know how well I listen!!

Hope everyone is doing well, I'll update when I know more.
Love Always,
Anne

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: In the Hospital...

Posted by: "Linda" windsweptacademy01@gmail.com   annabellesmom2000

Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:00 pm (PST)



toast, apple juice and orange juice are all going to hike up your BG.

Linda

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne R" <aemr911@gmail.com>
To: <diabetes@yahoogroups.com>; <diabetesandyou@yahoogroups.com>;
<asthma@yahoogroups.com>; <friends_beyond_the_journey@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:58 AM
Subject: [diabetes] In the Hospital...

> Hi All~
>
> If anyone is wondering where I am, I was admitted to United Hospital last
> night after having 3 or 4 episodes since midnight of getting dizzy, my
> brain
> swimming, vision changes, and falling on my butt or walking into a wall
> then
> falling down. Each time I did this as soon as I got my butt off the
> floor
> I did my BG and it was 249 just before I drove myself to the hospital... I
> know bad patient. But I seem to be okay except for my headache when I am
> sitting down, these episodes don't seem to happen when I am just sitting.
> But when they do happen my headache gets much worse. Tylenol and
> Ibuprofen
> aren't even touching it at this point.
>
> They think I have the flu again. I was started on Tamiflu again too. And
> they up'd my steroids again, so my BGs are really high again. For
> curiosity I did my BG a little bit ago and it is still 280. And all I
> have
> had since getting up here last night (after 8p last night) is 4 pieces of
> PB
> toast, apple juice, orange juice, and water.. and that was only because I
> missed dinner all together sitting in the ER.
>
> I am illegally using the hospital computer so this will be short. It is
> for
> STAFF ONLY, but we all know how well I listen!!
>
> Hope everyone is doing well, I'll update when I know more.
> Love Always,
> Anne
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Diabetes homepage: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes/
>
> To unsubscribe to this group, send an email to:
> diabetes-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Hope you come back soon!Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2c.

Re: In the Hospital...

Posted by: "Anne R" aemr911@gmail.com   aemr911

Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:04 pm (PST)



Sugars are coming down for the most part, so the middle of the night high
was just after I had been eating. Been drinking my pop (can only have
regular pop since I am allergic to all the artificial sweeteners) since
going to get my bag out of my truck with my new clothes in it so I could
change my very sweaty clothes.

I guess the reason the ER doctor admitted me was a flare up of my asthma
again. I don't know what is going on with me, I just know I feel icky and I
am very tired of it. I think both Terry & my Mom have the flu also because
they both have temperatures and have been vomiting, so maybe I want to stay
here for awhile anyway, I don't really want whatever it is that they have.

Ahhh!! Don't know when I will be going home, maybe tonight or tomorrow.
I'll sneak back on here later, when I know more again.

Anne

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:58 AM, Anne R <aemr911@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All~
>
> If anyone is wondering where I am, I was admitted to United Hospital last
> night after having 3 or 4 episodes since midnight of getting dizzy, my brain
> swimming, vision changes, and falling on my butt or walking into a wall then
> falling down. Each time I did this as soon as I got my butt off the floor
> I did my BG and it was 249 just before I drove myself to the hospital... I
> know bad patient. But I seem to be okay except for my headache when I am
> sitting down, these episodes don't seem to happen when I am just sitting.
> But when they do happen my headache gets much worse. Tylenol and Ibuprofen
> aren't even touching it at this point.
>
> They think I have the flu again. I was started on Tamiflu again too. And
> they up'd my steroids again, so my BGs are really high again. For
> curiosity I did my BG a little bit ago and it is still 280. And all I have
> had since getting up here last night (after 8p last night) is 4 pieces of PB
> toast, apple juice, orange juice, and water.. and that was only because I
> missed dinner all together sitting in the ER.
>
> I am illegally using the hospital computer so this will be short. It is
> for STAFF ONLY, but we all know how well I listen!!
>
> Hope everyone is doing well, I'll update when I know more.
> Love Always,
> Anne
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

BG levels and januvia

Posted by: "Anya" anya@sunwave.net   gingercakes2000

Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:00 pm (PST)



Hi everyone, I've been on the group but off line for the last year or so, so consider myself a newcomer.

What is Januiva. I live in Cananda so the Dr's say my average should be be around 7.0, at 4.0 or so and below I get dizzy and need to eat immediately, I also carry apply juice, glucose tablets, my BG kit and Insulin with me when I go out, just in case.

I'm also 100+ lbs overweight, and Hep C, I know that I can't go over on the protein because of hardening of the liver but I also know that there is a lot of fat hanging off my poor liver right now. Can anyone give me some sorts of hints on what to eat. My son (whose body is his temple-*rolling eyes* but does look really good) prescribed 6 small meals for me per day... I've only just started.
They include oatmeal with blueberries, with a small amount of banana and slivered almonds for meal 1, a chocolate protein drink with 1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter, raw oatmeal and 8 oz of skim milk and 1 scoop of protien powder for meal 2, for meal 3 - 1/2 c. cottage cheese with 1/4 cup fat free berry yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup plain yogurt, for meal 4 - 1/2 fistful brown rice combined with 1/2 fistfull beans and 1 palm sized portion chicken breat. Meal 5 is the same as meal 2 or 3. Each meal is 2 1/2 hours apart.

What does everyone think?

Thanks for any input.
Hugs Anya
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beauty is found in anything that delights the senses,
nourishes the soul, and fires the imagination.
~Thomas Kinkade~

----- Original Message -----
From: gigles_1955
To: diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:43 PM
Subject: [diabetes] Re: bg levels and januvia

I took the Januiva and wont stop or change anything until I talk to my dr. I was nervouse that if I took it that it would bring my levels too low but having the 70 as a number to go by helps me.
I have lost weight so maybe this is why they are this low,yea.
I dont have glucose tablets but have og in the house and milk it it should get too low, thanks for the tips.
ok I am happy that the numbers are down and with your(and Jan's) help I wont worry that my numbers are in the 90's.
I'll let you know how things are going.
This group has help me a great deal in these couple of months, I'd be lost without it. Thanks everyone. Jean

--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "BK" <kinney49@...> wrote:

> Don't do anything about changing your Januvia dosing until your doc OKs it.
>
> Just keep testing around your meals and don't worry about being too low until you start to see numbers under 75ish. You might feel a bit woozy at 90 or under, but you don't need to treat a low until it's under 70. If you do get that low, try not to overtreat-- a half cup of milk or OJ or 3 or 4 glucose tablets should do it, and test again in a half hour or so to make sure the level came up.

----------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.126/2601 - Release Date: 01/05/10 07:35:00

----------

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.126/2602 - Release Date: 01/05/10 19:35:00

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: BG levels and januvia

Posted by: "BK" kinney49@yahoo.com   kinney49

Wed Jan 6, 2010 5:33 pm (PST)



--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Anya" <anya@...> wrote: What is Januvia.>>

An oral hypoglycemic (glucose lowering) med given to type 2s only, although it's not been approved to give to type 2s who use insulin.
http://www.januvia.com/sitagliptin/januvia/consumer/index.jsp

<<I live in Canada so the Dr's say my average should be be around 7.0>>

That's about 125 in "American". Not a bad level, although a bit higher than normal if it's a fasting number.

<<at 4.0 or so and below>>

72 in "American". This is a bona fide low and requires treatment, with a half cup of OJ, "real" soda, or milk, or at least 15 grams of glucose tablets. Retest within a half hour, to make sure your glucose is back on the way up; if it isn't, just retreat with the same tablets or small amount of OJ or milk or soda. Be careful not to over-treat and drive things too high.

<<I get dizzy and need to eat immediately, I also carry apply juice, glucose tablets, my BG kit and Insulin with me when I go out, just in case>>

It's good that you're hypo-aware and that you leave the house prepared for all eventualities. Very smart, especially for someone using insulin.

<<I'm also 100+ lbs overweight, and Hep C, I know that I can't go over on the protein because of hardening of the liver but I also know that there is a lot of fat hanging off my poor liver right now. Can anyone give me some sorts of hints on what to eat>>

It'd be good to have a consult or two with a nutritionist who knows something about caring for diabetics. She could guide you into a good WOE, based on what foods you like and can afford, etc.

<<My son prescribed 6 small meals for me per day>>

This is the classic way of treating low blood sugar people, and it can also work well towards normalizing type 2s, especially ones who struggle with occasional insulin-induced lows. Just be careful not to use the frequents feeds as an excuse to eat too much.

If I were you, I'd take pen and paper in hand and plan out a day's menu, looking up calories and carbs in a reference book (Calorie King is a good one). Decide on a daily calorie level you think you can stick to, maybe around 1200 calories a day, since you want to lose weight, and just plan it out. I personally wouldn't eat more than 150 gm of carbs a day, but it all depends on your activity level, weight, age, gender, whether or not you want to lose or gain weight or maintain, etc. Everyone's a bit different.

> They include oatmeal with blueberries, with a small amount of banana and slivered almonds for meal 1>

That's pretty carby, but test around the meal, just before and a couple hours after, and see what your glucose does. Especially if you add milk to the oatmeal, this might be a bit much. It does sound healthy, though, and it would taste good! <>G>

<<a chocolate protein drink with 1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter, raw oatmeal and 8 oz of skim milk and 1 scoop of protien powder for meal 2>>

Your son, being male, fit, and non-diabetic, looks as though he has no clue about low-carb eating. This is another carb-packed meal. That's a large serving of milk (keep in mind that milk is used to counteract lows... it's extremely carby and hits the bloodstream fast, and 8 oz is a lot), more oatmeal (booooorrrrrring, IMO, lol).

<<for meal 3 - 1/2 c. cottage cheese with 1/4 cup fat free berry yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup plain yogurt, for meal 4 - 1/2 fistful brown rice combined with 1/2 fistful beans and 1 palm sized portion chicken breast. Meal 5 is the same as meal 2 or 3. Each meal is 2 1/2 hours apart.>>

Beans and rice together? Again, test around this. That's a lot of carbs, too, plus the carbs in the cc, and fruit yogurt-- you'd be better off having a sugar free yogurt instead of a fat free one, which if you compare labels, you'll see has lots of sugar or HFCS added.

To do this WOE right, you really need to plan something diabetic-appropriate, with a nutritionist, if possible. But whatever you do, make sure you don't die of boredom eating the same bland foods every day, make sure to test test test to see how different foods impact your blood sugars, try to avoid lows, and remember, total carbohydrates is what diabetics need to primarily worry about.

~BK~

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

Group Charity

Stop Cyberbullying

Keep your kids

safe from bullying

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
Diabetes homepage:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes/

To unsubscribe to this group, send an email to: diabetes-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
  Hope you come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment