1 2 3

Thursday, January 7, 2010

[Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3860

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: New HgbA1C result  and Medical STEROIDS

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:50 am (PST)



Tricia, your experience helps EVERYONE who reads
it, including me :) Because each and every one of
us potentially can pick something out of your way
of handling your diabetes that might help us, or
spark a new idea to try. It's also inspiring to
hear how you're coping, given your health problems.

<<I am taking steroids and I just checked my
glucose. It is 260 mg/dl and on the rise. I feel
really sick and I am starving. I do not
understand what is happening to me. I have
already eaten twice my normal intake for the day
and I am STARVING!!! I am also not sleeping since
beginning this medication.>>

Steroids are bad news for BGs, even if they're
good for other aspects of the body. You're
probably very hungry because when the BG rises, so
does insulin resistance, and then your cells can't
get the energy they need, so they're "hungry".
That translates into *you* being hungry, as your
body warns you to feed those cells. I just read
someplace yesterday or the day before, too, that
having more insulin circulating can also make
people hungry - but seems like another chicken
and the egg thing again; is it really excess
insulin, or is it the IR that leads to excess insulin?

I hope it eases quickly - and I hope your doctor
can find a treatment that works without having to
use steroids!

Hugs,

Holly in MI

1b.

Re: New HgbA1C result  and Medical STEROIDS

Posted by: "xenitha" xenitha@yahoo.com   xenitha

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:07 am (PST)





Tricia, having your glucose levels jump is a normal side effect of taking steroids. Usually when I have to take steroids, I talk to my doctor about altering my meds to accomodate, including adding insulin if necessary. You'll find that as the steroid level peaks, so will your blood sugar, then it'll come down again as the steroid wears off.

Another way I deal with steroid bg-highs is to schedule my carb-y meals during the time when the steroid level was falling so it wouldn't push my sugars higher.

Hopefully you won't be on the steroids for the long term, you just have to get through this course and you'll go back to normal again.

2.1.

Re: oh oh, more health care insurance ranting.....

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:14 am (PST)



Same here, in my community you can get many of these things from our local
Social Services dept (where I work, btw) or they will know which
organization has some things....our local JCC, the Office for the Aging...
~diane

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Terry Shimmins <xquid79@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> My VFW post loans out crutches, canes, shower stools, wheelchairs, walkers
> to members who need them for themselves or family. Found a website a year
> ago that offers donated wheelchairs and power scooters to those who need
> them - lifenets.org. My mom needed a a power chair to get around. Now
> she REALLY needs one. Medicare/Medicaid was giving her excuses for 5 years
> for not getting one and 3 weeks after requesting a scooter on this website,
> we had a donor. All it cost was the gas money to drive from S. Wisc. to
> the Chicago Northern suburbs and pick it up.
>
>
2.2.

Re: oh oh, more health care insurance ranting.....

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:16 am (PST)



I just remembered, online you can find a local recycle group, yahoo has
"ecycle" groups for your specific area. Just join and you can put a msg for
whatever you might need. No guarantees, but it's a great way to get and even
give things you no longer need.
~diane

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Diane Moro <deemoro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Same here, in my community you can get many of these things from our local
> Social Services dept (where I work, btw) or they will know which
> organization has some things....our local JCC, the Office for the Aging...
> ~diane
>
>
>
2.3.

Re: oh oh, more health care insurance ranting.....

Posted by: "saintpatrick1942" flanpat@msn.com   saintpatrick1942

Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:00 am (PST)



I'm in the same situation with oxygen concentrator and CPAP. My insurance oompany has paid out, over a period of 8 years, around $20,000 for that $800 concentrator.

I didn't believe in conspiracy theories either, but as I put little pieces of information together, I start to wonder. I saw last week that the banking industry spent something like $250 million in 2009 buying votes- oops, I mean "governmental affairs coordination". Now I wonder what insurance companies and medical equipment providers spend.

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "Jude" <peridotjude@...> wrote:
>
> --- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@> wrote:It may be even more insidious that you suspect. These pre-diabetes labels may follow individuals in much the same way a true diabetes diagnosis does. That is to say, the coding may affect insurance availability and cost.>
>
> Oh, I'm sure of that. And god knows who has access to these so-called "private" bits of info. I very rarely see conspiracy anywhere, since I refuse to think that way, but you know what, I see Big Brother in action in the whole health care mess-- they've got us so over a barrel, we really are in the barrel with the pickles. Sigh.
>
> My family has new health ins. as of Jan. 1. Had a telling conversation with the insurance billing person at the home health care agency that supplies my CPAP and oxygen concentrator I have to have for my sleep apnea. She told me they bill the insurance nearly $200 every MONTH for the oxygen concentrator-- I haven't checked recently, but the darned things only cost like $800 to buy. After 4 years of them paying $2400 a year for that one item of medical equipment... gee, can we say FUBAR? Yep, I knew we could.
>
> Judy D.
>

2.4.

Re: oh oh, more health care insurance ranting.....

Posted by: "saintpatrick1942" flanpat@msn.com   saintpatrick1942

Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:03 am (PST)




Until a couple of years ago, there were often used oxygen concentrators for sale on EBAY. Somebody got to them, though, and they won't list them now. It's amazing how many people/businesses these people can control.

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, Tiamat <tiamat99@...> wrote:
>
> Yes indeed. So much so that a local group began a 'savings club' where people could donate no longer needed medical equipment: crutches, potty chairs, walkers etc. These are then given away free to whoever.
> Mb start one in your neighborhood--anybody.
>
> Tia
>
>
>
>
>
> > ancient auntie, she had total coverage Ins, and I mean total. She needed a potty chair-one example-for which she was charged $30 a month. This had been going on for some time when I started going over to get her meds down her, breakfast cooked, etc., and I immediately went to the thrift store and got one exactly like it, in excellent shape, for $20.
> > sharon o' walla walla, wa
>

2.5.

Re: oh oh, more health care insurance ranting.....

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:30 am (PST)



It's definitely a big scam, imo.
When I worked for a pulmonary doc, he bought a machine that would do a
breathing test, because at the time, the sales rep told him that by using a
certain ICD 9 code and a certain CPT code, he could get big bucks. So he did
it and suddenly everyone who came thru the door needed this test.
When Medicare quit paying for this test in the office, he stopped doing it.
Same for the blood work, when he could no longer get reimbursed for the
venipuncture in office, he quit doing it and sent the patients to the lab.
~diane

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM, saintpatrick1942 <flanpat@msn.com> wrote:

> I'm in the same situation with oxygen concentrator and CPAP. My insurance
> oompany has paid out, over a period of 8 years, around $20,000 for that $800
> concentrator.
>
>
2.6.

Re: oh oh, more health care insurance ranting.....

Posted by: "sharon osborn" shaross8@gmail.com   osborn.sharon

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:50 am (PST)



> It's definitely a big scam, imo.
> When I worked for a pulmonary doc, he bought a machine that would do a breathing test,>>

I have had a theory for quite a while, that much of the health care
bruhaha cold have been 'fixed' by consumers a long time ago. The prob
is, that one is so sick, and so desperate to feel better, that any
strawman offered-that their health care will pay for initially- will
be snatched at. If we all became advocates of our own health to begin
with, Dr.'s would be hanging in front of offices, beckoning in
prospects. Haha. Espeically ones with cash in hand. And think of
the mountains of paperwork thwarted!
Okay, you Doctors on here, weigh in.
share o' walla walla, wa US

2.7.

OT buying DME on eBay

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:22 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "saintpatrick1942" <flanpat@...> wrote: Until a couple of years ago, there were often used oxygen concentrators for sale on EBAY.Somebody got to them, though, and they won't list them now.It's amazing how many people/businesses these people can control>>

They're a prescription item, and it's illegal to sell them to those for whom they weren't prescribed. To buy one legally, even a used one, you have to show a current prescription from a doc, and you have to purchase it from a dealer or authorized supplier.
Judy D.

3.1.

Re: Holly, role of exercise in A1c levels, etc.

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:19 am (PST)



Amal writes:

<<I do not understand why any diabetic would be
deprived the right to choose insulin if he/she
wishes to do so. >>

Beats me, too - but to be honest, I haven't
*demanded* insulin - I keep putting that off
because it intimidates me, and if I would have to
continue low-carbing to avoid weight gain (which I
strongly suspect would be necessary for *me*,
though not necessarily anyone else), then why
would I want to bother with the hassles of
insulin? But if someday I see my A1C rising in
spite of low-carbing, exercise, maintaining the
weight loss, etc, then I will probably demand
insulin. Shall be interesting to see the result :)

<< What if a person can achieve good control with
oral medications but for a reason or another
cannot tolerate any of the drugs due to other
health conditions, side effects etc. >>

But you see, they would label that "medical
necessity", while my situation isn't.

<<Holly, have you tried any of herbal formulas?
Do you believe in them in the first place? >>

I keep an open mind on the subject - but not so
open my brain falls out <g> I think there are
probably many herbs / combinations of herbs that
can be useful for many disorders, including
diabetes. But much depends on the individual
person's body, the source of the herbal remedy,
plus undoubtedly as many other factors as affect
any prescription med's effectiveness. And
unfortunately, with our American way of not
investing in anything that doesn't immediately
make big bucks for the investors, it's not likely
anyone would do the research needed to understand
the workings and dosage of any particular herbal
remedy - not unless they can tweak it somehow,
patent the results, and peddle that proprietary
formula at an exorbitant price <sigh>

I've tried RLA after reading lots of good stuff on
the Bernstein forum about its positive effects on
the BGs - most people describe immediate drops
and, in the case of insulin-users, having to
immediately reduce their insulin doses. There are
just as often stories of having to wait while the
stuff builds up in the system.

However, two rather expensive bottles did nothing
for me, nor did anything happen when I stopped
taking them. I went through most of the first
bottle at 2 pills a day, then after 3 weeks did
the rest of that one and all the next one at 2
pills per meal, 6 per day, for about 10 days. I
sure would have thought the latter dose would do
something, but nope.

I'm also taking Benfotiamine for my retinopathy,
at DH's insistence. I personally doubt it will do
much, but I'll finish off the two bottles he
bought. If my next retinopathy appointment shows
an improvement in my *right* eye, which has been
untreated but stable through my last exam, but
seems to me to be worsening now, then maybe then
Benfotiamine is worth it - but, by all accounts,
after I get over this blip of retinopathy, my low
A1C will essentially eliminate it from my future,
so then I wouldn't need the B any longer.

I also take Vit D (helps with the heart - I don't
know how much I need, so I'm only taking 1000 mg
daily), black cohosh (helps a little with the hot
flashes I've been living with for several years
now), and a B complex vitamin. Oh, and Evening
Primrose Oil - it's supposedly good for
neuropathy, though I haven't seen any effect there
- and it's supposedly good with RLA specifically.
I'll use up what I have and quit that one.

Finally, I went back on the fish oil to see if it
would help with my total cholesterol level. My
last lipid panel was great in many ways, bringing
me down to "ideal" for risk indicators, but the
total was a little higher than previously when I
was still taking fish oil. That's an easy way to
get the medical personnel off my back about
statins, so I don't mind doing it. Shall be
interesting to see if it's actually making that
little bit of difference. If so, it does seem to
be the only natural supplement I've taken that has
done anything measurable (bearing in mind I
haven't had any sort of measurement of my vitamin
levels, including the D, so I don't know about
that side of things).

<<In the Middle East, many diabetics take no drugs
at all and rely on natural alternatives. >>

Well, in a manner of speaking, controlling
diabetes with diet and exercise is a natural
alternative :) Can you give us an idea of how
quickly into the disease most diabetics there are
diagnosed? What sorts of "natural alternatives"
are used? What degree of control over their BGs
and/or A1C do they typically get? And what sort
of diet and exercise are recommended there?

Holly in MI

4.1.

Re: daily carb totals and Gliclazide

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:30 am (PST)



Judy writes:

<<When I eat all I want to, I still only eat about
150 gm of carbs a day. But 240! Just the calories
that would pack on would be unbelievable, forget
the impact on the glucose level. >>

But, Judy, if you don't eat well over 200 g of
carb a day, your brain will die, didn't you know
that?

YES, that's what my DNE told me! How she
reconciles that crud with the fact I routinely eat
less than 30 g a day and am still alive to
occasionally email her, in a reasonable coherent
fashion, I have no idea. Unless she thinks I'm
lying - after all, *nobody* can be so extreme as
to sustain that low a carb count, right? <g> Or
maybe she thinks I'm dead, and sending emails from
beyond the grave? <ROFLOL> She's a nice woman,
and well-intentioned, if a little brainwashed by
her training. I guess I probably wouldn't haunt
her, even if I died of too few carbs :)

Does anyone wonder I'm skeptical of new medical
personnel accepting me where I am, when my PA
refers me to an endo "urgently" because my A1C is
so low and says I'll go hypo even though I haven't
since I came off the sulfonylurea, and my DNE
tells me my brain will starve and die on the low
carbs I eat, in the face of strong evidence to the
contrary?

Thanks for the link to Gliclazide on wiki. As I
suspected, it's a sulfonylurea. I guess I should
have thought of good ol' wiki :) Next time I
can't find a drug on rxlist.org I'll try to
remember that.

Holly in MI

5a.

Re: HELP! confused about it all..

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:39 am (PST)



Kelly in TX writes:

<<And listen to Holly (MI), she knows what she's
talking about!>>

Everyone should be aware that Kelly has an
ulterior motive here <g> She's my sister :)

I know what I'm talking about when talking about
*my* body and my experiments on it :) I offer
that in hopes some of what has worked for me will
help others for whom the ADA's standard treatments
and management aren't given the results they want.

Holly in MI

6a.

you know you're diabetic when....

Posted by: "Holly Shaltz" holly@shaltzfarm.com   hollyshaltz

Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:51 am (PST)



Your idea of a "treat" is buying a new lancing
device *and* a new flavor of glucose tablets! <LOL>

Yesterday I went shopping with DD, with a little
trepidation - last couple times we went to as many
places I had nasty BG swings going on, that I
tried to head off with string cheese, with limited
success.

This time I was armed with glucose tablets. At
one hour, and ending about an hour before we got
home, I took 2 g of glucose each hour.

Sure wish I could find those 1 g "bits"! 2 g was
a bit too much, I think, as I was a little high
when we got home, and that meant I was over 100
after a 12 g of carb supper <sigh> Seems to have
worn off today, though. And while I know I can
cut the 4-gram tablets into 4 pieces, if broken or
cut off the score they don't break cleanly,
leaving me with "mystery"-sized pieces. Probably
not that big a deal, but then they also crumble
more, leading to waste. But I think I will have
to do that if I can't find the "bits".

I went to Wal-greens as the new Meijers near here
isn't open yet. No glucose "bits", but I did find
4 g tablets in a flavor I like, much cheaper than
elsewhere. And I've been looking for a new
lancing device for ages, one that will fit in my
kit and doesn't cost $20 (this one was $10). I've
essentially worn out 3 of the darn things - they
get so they don't "sproing" properly a lot of the
time, leading to many misfirings, very
frustrating. The new one isn't great - it goes
pretty deep on the lowest level, but not horribly
painful, so off with the old and on with the new.

Other than that, got a hoodie, 3 casual tops, and
a dressy sweater for less than $7 in a resale
shop, did my grocery shopping, ran several errands
with DD, and on the whole had very little
wooziness from BG swings.

Now, to do my T'ai Chi, then to call my
snowshoein' friend to tell her that I won't
snowshoe at 11 am before lunch, as that would just
about guarantee a low, but after we eat I'll be
happy to give it a try :)

Holly in MI
where it's cloudy, in the mid 20s, no wind, a
couple feet of snow on the ground - a perfect day
to try snowshoes for the first time! With glucose
tablets in every pocket <g>

6b.

Re: you know you're diabetic when....

Posted by: "Michael" bigbear@acsalaska.net   bigbear_ak

Thu Jan 7, 2010 9:35 am (PST)



Holly, have you tried Glucose RapidSpray? A "serving" is 5 sprays
which is 188mg of carbohyrdate. Since you can control how many
sprays you consume, you could easily adjust your intake as
necessary. Realize the carbs listed are in miligrams, not grams,
and most glucose tablets have 4 grams of carbohydrate each so a
serving has fewer carbs than half a glucose tab.

The product is made in Canada but I have seen it here in Alaska.
It comes in orange and strawberry flavors. I tried it once but
since I don't have lows too often, the darned spray tip clogged on
my so I tossed it out. You can learn more and order online at
www.glucoserapidspray.com.

--Michael

On Thu Jan 07 08:52:39 CST 2010, Holly Shaltz
<holly@shaltzfarm.com> wrote:

> Sure wish I could find those 1 g "bits"!
6c.

Re: you know you're diabetic when....

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:15 am (PST)



Holly, am I understanding that going shopping gives you lows? What's that
about? what kind of shopping are you doing?
I'm really confused. Because shopping doesn't seem like such a big thing to
me, unless I'm doing it wrong???

~diane

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Holly Shaltz <holly@shaltzfarm.com> wrote:

> Your idea of a "treat" is buying a new lancing
> device *and* a new flavor of glucose tablets! <LOL>
>
> Yesterday I went shopping with DD, with a little
> trepidation - last couple times we went to as many
> places I had nasty BG swings going on, that I
> tried to head off with string cheese, with limited
> success.
>
> T
6d.

Re: you know you're diabetic when....

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:19 am (PST)



I got one!
You know you're a diabetic when you get a paper cut at work and run back to
your desk to check your bg on your meter! No letting blood go to waste!

~diane

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Holly Shaltz <holly@shaltzfarm.com> wrote:

> Your idea of a "treat" is buying a new lancing
> device *and* a new flavor of glucose tablets! <LOL>
>
>
6e.

Re: you know you're diabetic when....

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:50 am (PST)



I had to stop taking liquid b12 vitamin because the last time I took it, I
had a big spike, then I read the ingredients and of course it has glucose.
And I don't have problems with lows so that form of vitamin is history for
me. I would consider using this since besides glucose you are getting a
valuable vitamin dose.

~diane

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Michael <bigbear@acsalaska.net> wrote:

> Holly, have you tried Glucose RapidSpray? A "serving" is 5 sprays
> which is 188mg of carbohyrdate. Since you can control how many
> sprays you consume, you could easily adjust your intake as
> necessary. Realize the carbs listed are in miligrams, not grams,
> and most glucose tablets have 4 grams of carbohydrate each so a
> serving has fewer carbs than half a glucose tab.
>
>
>
>
7a.

Cooking with wine

Posted by: "xenitha" xenitha@yahoo.com   xenitha

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:21 am (PST)



I like to use wine when cooking roasts and generally pour it generously. I know that the alcohol cooks off, but what about the sugar? Calories? Do I need to add the calories to my calorie count?

7b.

Re: Cooking with wine

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:25 am (PST)



I frequently cook with wine, especially in stir fries. Last night I cooked a
pot roast in the slow cooker (all day) in red wine, it was awesome. I see no
difference in my bg after eating meats cooked in wine.
~diane YMMV

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM, xenitha <xenitha@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I like to use wine when cooking roasts and generally pour it generously. I
> know that the alcohol cooks off, but what about the sugar? Calories? Do I
> need to add the calories to my calorie count?
>
>
>
>
7c.

Re: Cooking with wine

Posted by: "ron42nm" ron42nm@gmail.com   ron42nm

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:56 am (PST)



If you use a dry red or dry white wine, which is almost always what you want to use when cooking with wine, there is essentially no sugar. At most a gram or 2 per serving. Since the alcohol cooks off, there are essentially no calories either.

Ron

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "xenitha" <xenitha@...> wrote:
>
> I like to use wine when cooking roasts and generally pour it generously. I know that the alcohol cooks off, but what about the sugar? Calories? Do I need to add the calories to my calorie count?
>

8a.

my bread experiment

Posted by: "sharon osborn" shaross8@gmail.com   osborn.sharon

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:47 am (PST)



Okay, so. No rice, no potatoes, but bread. I was trying to figure
out how to sneal acouple slices in a day and read up on sourdough. I
used to make sourdough all the time in my youth-the brief healthful
part, so I was familiar with the procedure. It got done at 10:30 last
night and I ate not one, but two! slices, Eeee, 150 BG this AM.
Well, live and learn, and don't do things that one *knows* are going
to goober up all the good choices. After the hols is alot more
stressfull, imo. I have the food police, ancient parents(85/84yrs)
and DH(66) for them. January is the month of falling. Oh, and
Feruary, the month of chocolate, no more.
Anyway, it is excellent sourdough if I only eat a little and *before*
6:30-7:00 at night when I can still work it off. And I can add all
sorts of doodads like whole wheat flour, ground flax, seeds, etc.
Yow. BG was in the teens, it's such a shock to wake up to, even
though I knew, being an old grownup...
gards,
share in walla walla, wa US

8b.

Re: my bread experiment

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:20 am (PST)



Bread is a tough give up for me too. There is no bread that I've tried that
doesn't make me spike, though it's really all about portions.
If I want a sandwich now, I use Arnold whole wheat, two slices will not
spike me very high, always below 120 two hrs after. Rye is supposed to be
good but I don't care for it.
btw, you're not THE Sharon Osborn, are you? (Ozzy's Mrs?) lol

~diane

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM, sharon osborn <shaross8@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, so. No rice, no potatoes, but bread. I was trying to figure
> out how to sneal acouple slices in a day and read up on sourdough. I
> used to make sourdough all the time in my youth-the brief healthful
> part, so I was familiar with the procedure. It got done at 10:30 last
> ni
>
9.

What to expect from first Endo visit?

Posted by: "Michael" bigbear@acsalaska.net   bigbear_ak

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:47 am (PST)



I'm scheduled to see an endocrinologist for the first time in two
weeks. I'm wondering what to expect from the initial visit. More
so, I'm wondering if they will do any tests to see how well my
pancrease is functioning. My GP who has treated my diabetes since
I was diagnosed nearly five years ago recently increased my
glyburide from 5mg to 15mg daily but even when I eat what should
be a healthy meal, I'm still seeing my numbers rise. This morning
I was 207 when I woke up. Breakfast was two eggs scrambled with
1/2 cup diced lean ham and a slice of tomato. 90 minutes after I
ate, I was at 201. It has now been three hours since I ate and I
just tested again and I'm up to 224! All I've had since I left
the house is a bottle of water.

My thought is if my pancreas was even half-way working, the
glyburide should have made me go even lower than the 201 post-meal
reading. With the high numbers I've had for the past several
months (even after going on Lantus), I'm beginning to think my
pancrease has totally failed and that I really need other insulin
injections througout the day.

All the Endo's office said was to bring a list of all meds and my
previous two weeks worth of glucose readings to my initial visit.
I sure hope he will be able to do something to get me back to a
reasonable level. For the first four years, I had no problem
staying below 150 with fasting numbers typically in the 90s but
this past year has seen a dramatic rise. I also hope the Endo
will do another HbA1C test as my last one in late August came back
at 7.0 yet I was at 5.3 six months earlier.

Totally frustrated,
--Michael

10a.

Metformin Overdose

Posted by: "brian cooper" brianevans_99@yahoo.com   brianevans_99

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:50 am (PST)



Donna,

My experience of all three endos I've seen so far has been pretty dismal, both in diabetes terms and thyroid (even worse). Of course, there is a national shortage of endos, and that certainly exists here in eastern NC and other mostly rural areas, where diabetes, especially, has the highest rates in the country.

I was able to get a copy of the scrip from Walmart, where the pharmacist on duty was apologetic but also trying to cover their assets. Everyone involved is trying to cover their assets. I may have test results this afternoon on whether there was liver or kidney damage. There certainly was, and is, diarrhea--though it seems to be subsiding gradually.

Brian Cooper
__________________________________________________________

--- On Thu, 1/7/10, Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

>
> __________________________________________________________
> 4a. Re: Metformin Overdose (Rx error)
>     Posted by: "Donna" sdbmshad@yahoo.com
> sdbmshad
>     Date: Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:40 pm ((PST))
>
> Brian,
> I know here in South Carolina they have to keep a copy of
> it. The State can and does audit the pharmacy when someone
> complains about constant mistakes.
> You could call the state board and ask them if the pharmacy
> is required to keep the scripts and for how long.
> In South Carolina they are required to keep them (or at
> least an electronic copy of them) for a prescribed number of
> years (I don't remember the exact amount). They are also
> required to obtain a copy and not just a verbal order. They
> have different lengths of times according to the type of
> prescription. I do know this to be true as it was part of a
> court case that I sat on a jury for. We had to listen to all
> the information about the different classes of medications
> and the procedured the pharmacy's had to go through. It was
> kind of enlightneing really.
> I have also gone back to my pharmacy when they made a
> mistake on the Lantus pen the dr wrote. I had argued with my
> pharmacist about it twice on the day he filled it. I didn't
> think it was right so I went to another pharmacy and asked
> and was told by 2 pharmacists there that there was a mistake
> and to go back to the filling pharmacy. I changed after
> pharmacist as this was thier third mistake including putting
> the wrong doctor on a script!
> I think NC goes along the same lines as SC. At least it did
> when we lived in Charlotte. And Walmart does it the same
> across the board. If it's done at one it's done at all (from
> what the 800 number told me). My little brother works for
> them in CA and has told me that the pharmacy get's it's
> orders from Corporate. They are suppose to be licensed in
> every state.
> On another note.... The Endo's in my area have not
> impressed me. They refuse to talk with the family even when
> one has been told they are diabetic (need's a referal). We
> stay with our Internist! She's great! She knows alot about
> diabetes and all of our ailments. She does a fantastic job
> and has no problem finding a specialist as need. She went to
> the extent of finding a Gastrointerologist for my husband
> from the country he is from so he would be more comfortable.
> Now that is service!
> I hope things get worked out for you.
> Take care
> Donna
>
> --- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com,
> brian cooper <brianevans_99@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Donna,
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestions.  It may be that the
> Walmart pharmacy I'm using here in NC has to keep records,
> but I think that would vary by state.  The FDA
> (theoretically) regulate drugs/etc, but state pharmacy
> boards license pharmacists, and may, as far as we know, also
> set standards and requirements for operation of
> pharmacies.   (I may call our state board in
> Raleigh.)
>
>
>
>
>

11.1.

Re: insurance stuff

Posted by: "GJ" gj.lentz76@gmail.com   gj.lentz

Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:51 am (PST)



just sticking my 2cents in here, i have limited medical insurance through my work, i wait tables, so i rarely have a paycheck to show for my hours. whatever the insurance cannot deduct from my check i have to mail a payment in. often i am several months behind on "back-owe" and seem to be in a perpetual zone of never knowing when/if my insurance might be canceled out. SO, I investigated into the family health clinic here and they have their own little system, Im guessing most places do. because of my low income they put me on what they call "sliding scale" which offers me near 100% coverage for dr visits there at the clinic, with only a $5 co-pay, good for an entire year. When i was first diagnosed, along with high blood pressure and cholestrol, they first sent my scripts to walgreens, and it was all like over 300 dollars with the pewny pharm/discount card i have, i about had a panic/anxiety attack. well, the clinic also has a pharmacy of its own, though some scripts may have to be ordered, I have gotten a free meter, and my meds at like a 75% discount. It HELPS sooo much, obviously. There seems to be various ways of getting discounted care/scripts, but you have to really put yourself out there and dig around, because they certainly dont advertise it to you :( hospitals are much the same way, i have found, generaly they will work with you, because they know something is better than nothing, and in the long run it costs them more to have to send your stuff to collection down the road.

gregory, new to type2, from b.c. MI

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Mental Health

Learn More

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Green resources for

a better planet

Group Charity

Food Bank

Feeding America

in tough times

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment