1 2 3

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

[diabetes] Digest Number 9136

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

1.1.
Re: fasting not necessary for A1c From: fancyqtr
2a.
Re: anne OT From: Anne R
3a.
New member meal question From: benzo4321
3b.
Re: New member meal question From: ERWachter@AOL.com
4a.
bg levels and januvia From: gigles_1955
4b.
Re: bg levels and januvia From: PURPLEROSEJMK@AOL.COM
4c.
Re: bg levels and januvia From: BK
4d.
Re: bg levels and januvia From: gigles_1955
4e.
Re: bg levels and januvia From: gigles_1955
4f.
Re: bg levels and januvia From: ERWachter@AOL.com

Messages

1.1.

Re: fasting not necessary for A1c

Posted by: "fancyqtr" smartandfancyartistry@msn.com   fancyqtr

Tue Jan 5, 2010 8:09 am (PST)



They need to teach that to the NPs around here. Every time I have to see one of them because my PCP is out, they want a fasting A1c. I told the one the last time that it was an average over 3 months so the fasting didn't make a difference. It surprised her.

--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "BK" <kinney49@...> wrote:
>

> No fasting necessary for the A1c-- it can be from a blood draw done at any time of day, regardless of when you ate. If you need a fasting glucose done at the same time, then of course you'd need to fast for 8-12 hours before the draw. But the A1c alone is not dependent on fasting.
>
> ~BK~
>

2a.

Re: anne OT

Posted by: "Anne R" aemr911@gmail.com   aemr911

Tue Jan 5, 2010 11:21 am (PST)



Thanks Jean~
Although my doctor wasn't technically at the clinic today, he did order the
CT of my sinuses and I had it done this evening at a clinic near my Mom's
house in Apple Valley. My face hurts so badly, but other than tylenol or
ibuprofen with Benadryl there isn't much anyone can think of to have me try
until the results come back, and then it will be up to the primary care and
whatever ENT doctor he talks to, to decide if the infection is severe enough
to warrant a PICC line and big guns IV antibiotics... no matter what they
are... Vancomycin, Azetronam, or Invanz they come out to be about $250-$500
per IV bag, it is just lovely.

It will probably be a couple days until I hear the results so until then I
just have to wait. I am super tired, so hopefully I will be able to sleep
tonight. Have to take Montanna to dance class tomorrow evening and then
home again and hopefully she will want to go to sleep when we get home and
not put up too much of a fight about going to bed. It has been quite the
fight the last week to get her to go to sleep and it is wearing out her
parents, not to mention her too.

Okay, I am babbling incoherently now, so I will say goodbye for now. My
brain and fingers are going about 200 miles a minute in different directions
it seemso before I confuse as much as I have already confused myself...

Love Always,
Anne

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM, gigles_1955 <fgigles55@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> Hi Anne.
> Im sorry you are having such a rough time with your sinues..my daughter
> also have many problems with her sinuses and has horrible problems with
> allergies and is on steroids a lot. Let me know how you are doing and what
> your doctor says/ Good luck, it can be very anoying and distracting. jean
>
> --- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com <diabetes%40yahoogroups.com>, Anne R
> <aemr911@...> wrote:
>
> >
> > Jean~
> > I am on steroids because of my respiratory infection that put me into
> > respiratory distress/arrest on December 13th. The infection or whatever
> it
> > is has actually been getting better since I was started on this long
> course
> > of steroids, and when I tried to go down last week, my allergies were set
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

New member meal question

Posted by: "benzo4321" ruby.none@gmail.com   benzo4321

Tue Jan 5, 2010 11:23 am (PST)



When I first saw on the lab results that I was pre-diabetic, I didn't
realize what would happen next. I continued to eat large portions of food at lunch and dinner, only to find myself having scary heart and head symptoms. By eating smaller portions, I feel much better.

I am still waiting for the insurance company to mail me the glucose meter. In the meantime, I don't know how to feed myself enough. I am now eating only half amount of the food I used to eat. I take a whole afternoon eating a small salad and entire night eating a tiny small meal. I am hungry but afraid to eat more. My stomach aches because of the long stretch of feeding. I also do not have much energy, out of breath a lot.

For someone who was just diagnosed to have diabetes or prediabetes, how to test the right amount of food I can eat w/o getting into high glucose? How do I know if I actually need insulin to eat the
same amount of food I used to eat?

Thanks,

Ruby

3b.

Re: New member meal question

Posted by: "ERWachter@AOL.com" ERWachter@AOL.com   erw477

Tue Jan 5, 2010 2:50 pm (PST)



Hi Ruby,
My suggestion would be for you to call your doctor and ask him/her to schedule you an appointment with a diabetes educator/nutritionist. This is someone that will help you develop a food plan based on your overall health, weight, exercise level, etc.

hugs
Eunice - Who is having a Happy New year

For someone who was just diagnosed to have diabetes or prediabetes, how to test
the right amount of food I can eat w/o getting into high glucose? How do I know
if I actually need insulin to eat the
same amount of food I used to eat?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

bg levels and januvia

Posted by: "gigles_1955" fgigles55@gmail.com   gigles_1955

Tue Jan 5, 2010 11:25 am (PST)



when I was diag. type 2 in Oct. 09 my BG was 165 -189. I was put on Januvia at this time. My bg levels have been anywhere from 118 - 170 for a while but were started to get more under control with 118-130. This past few days it has been low to mid 90"s. Am I still suppose to take Januvia when it is this low? Will that make my gb drop to even lower and poss. dangerous levels? I have a call in to my drs. but dont know when he will call me back. I know you can't give medical advice but your opinion on this would be apppreciated.
Also what would make it drop to this "normal" level all of a sudden and stay there? Is it possible the Januvia just kicked in?
thanks. jean

4b.

Re: bg levels and januvia

Posted by: "PURPLEROSEJMK@AOL.COM" PURPLEROSEJMK@AOL.COM   purplerosedys

Tue Jan 5, 2010 12:06 pm (PST)



Jean>>Also what would make it drop to this "normal" level all of a sudden
and stay there? Is it possible the Januvia just kicked in?<<

Hi Jean,

I was on Januvia for a little over a year. It did help bring my bg levels
down along with proper eating. Sometimes I would get levels as low as
70. I can say never once was I ever in any danger. That's me though. What
is normal for you should be discussed with your doctor asap. My doctor
took me off Januvia and I'm managing my type 2 on my own. So far, so good.
Talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends for you. For example,
my doctor wants me to stay below 103 two hours after a meal. Find out what
your numbers should ideally be. It's different for all of us. I'm here if
you have any more questions.

Have a great day everyone!
Jan in Illinois (Waiting for a snowstorm!!!)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: bg levels and januvia

Posted by: "BK" kinney49@yahoo.com   kinney49

Tue Jan 5, 2010 12:19 pm (PST)



--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "gigles_1955" <fgigles55@...> wrote:
when I was diag. type 2 in Oct. 09 my BG was 165 -189. I was put on Januvia at this time.My bg levels have been anywhere from 118 - 170 for a while but were started to get more under control with 118-130. This past few days it has been low to mid 90"s.Am I still suppose to take Januvia when it is this low?Will that make my gb drop to even lower and poss. dangerous levels?I have a call in to my drs. but dont know when he will call me back.I know you can't give medical advice but your opinion on this would be appreciated.Also what would make it drop to this "normal" level all of a sudden and stay there? Is it possible the Januvia just kicked in? thanks.jean>

Don't do anything about changing your Januvia dosing until your doc OKs it.

Just keep testing around your meals and don't worry about being too low until you start to see numbers under 75ish. You might feel a bit woozy at 90 or under, but you don't need to treat a low until it's under 70. If you do get that low, try not to overtreat-- a half cup of milk or OJ or 3 or 4 glucose tablets should do it, and test again in a half hour or so to make sure the level came up.

No, I doubt the med is just now kicking in. Usually the oral meds are pretty well titrated in less than a week. Are you losing weight? That could certainly make a difference. Plus it's the nature of diabetes to take up to 4-6 months to really come into control, once therapy is started, however the new diabetic is treated. At about 10 weeks out, that sounds about right to me.

So anyhoo, for now, wait for the doc's office to call. He might lower your dosage, or he might say hooray, this is where you need to be.

~BK~

4d.

Re: bg levels and januvia

Posted by: "gigles_1955" fgigles55@gmail.com   gigles_1955

Tue Jan 5, 2010 2:17 pm (PST)



I took the Januiva and wont stop or change anything until I talk to my dr. I was nervouse that if I took it that it would bring my levels too low but having the 70 as a number to go by helps me.
I have lost weight so maybe this is why they are this low,yea.
I dont have glucose tablets but have og in the house and milk it it should get too low, thanks for the tips.
ok I am happy that the numbers are down and with your(and Jan's) help I wont worry that my numbers are in the 90's.
I'll let you know how things are going.
This group has help me a great deal in these couple of months, I'd be lost without it. Thanks everyone. Jean

--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "BK" <kinney49@...> wrote:

> Don't do anything about changing your Januvia dosing until your doc OKs it.
>
> Just keep testing around your meals and don't worry about being too low until you start to see numbers under 75ish. You might feel a bit woozy at 90 or under, but you don't need to treat a low until it's under 70. If you do get that low, try not to overtreat-- a half cup of milk or OJ or 3 or 4 glucose tablets should do it, and test again in a half hour or so to make sure the level came up.

4e.

Re: bg levels and januvia

Posted by: "gigles_1955" fgigles55@gmail.com   gigles_1955

Tue Jan 5, 2010 2:18 pm (PST)



Thanks Jan.
I'm still waiting for a call back..just left another message. I will ask where he thinks my numbers should be, At the diab. class they said 110 or under pre and 140 or less 2hrs after and this seems high to me but they aren't my dr. so I will see what he says.

Congrat's on getting your numbers down and coming off the Januiva..I hope that is what I am doing with diet ") jean

--- In diabetes@yahoogroups.com, PURPLEROSEJMK@... wrote:

>
> Hi Jean,
>
> I was on Januvia for a little over a year. It did help bring my bg levels
> down along with proper eating. Sometimes I would get levels as low as
> 70. I can say never once was I ever in any danger.

4f.

Re: bg levels and januvia

Posted by: "ERWachter@AOL.com" ERWachter@AOL.com   erw477

Tue Jan 5, 2010 2:55 pm (PST)




Hi Jean,
These are the same goals my doctor set for me. Most of the time, my bg's are under 120 two hours after a meal, but occasionally reading will be 140.

hugs
Eunice
Controlling Diabetes with Sensible eating/exercise/Positive Attitude/Trust in my Doctors/Faith in God.

I'm still waiting for a call back..just left another message. I will ask
where he thinks my numbers should be, At the diab. class they said 110 or under
pre and 140 or less 2hrs after and this seems high to me but they aren't my dr.
so I will see what he says.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Groups

Cat Owners Group

Connect and share with

others who love their cats

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Explore green tips

and resources

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
Diabetes homepage:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetes/

To unsubscribe to this group, send an email to: diabetes-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
  Hope you come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment