1 2 3

Sunday, January 3, 2010

[Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3854

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1.1.
Newbie From: bob1234stewart
1.2.
Re: Newbie From: Sandra
1.3.
Re: Newbie From: Dorothy Wurth
1.4.
Re: Newbie From: Jude
1.5.
Re: Newbie From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
2.
Lap-Band Surgery and Weight Loss From: brian cooper
3a.
Hair loss, Dibetes,  treatment for hair loss etc From: Grey-Lady C
3b.
Re: Hair loss, Dibetes, treatment for hair loss etc From: Diane Moro
3c.
Re: Hair loss, Dibetes, treatment for hair loss etc From: Judy Crompton
4a.
Stents and Bypassing From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
4b.
Re: Stents and Bypassing From: ron42nm
4c.
Re: Stents and Bypassing From: AnaLog Services, Inc.
4d.
Re: Stents and Bypassing From: ron42nm
5.1.
Re: whats a beefalo burger?? From: GJ
5.2.
Re: whats a beefalo burger?? From: Tiamat
5.3.
Re: whats a beefalo burger?? - GJ From: Wee K Chew
5.4.
when to see an endo doc From: Jude
5.5.
Re: whats a beefalo burger?? From: Deb Billwiller
5.6.
Re: whats a beefalo burger?? From: Diane Moro
6a.
Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times? From: Wee K Chew
6b.
Re: Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times? From: Jude
6c.
Re: Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times? From: judi dawson
6d.
Re: Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times? From: Wee K Chew
7.
Re: Newbie/Lantus From: Tiamat
8.
New member questions From: benzo4321

Messages

1.1.

Newbie

Posted by: "bob1234stewart" bob-stewart@sbcglobal.net   bob1234stewart

Sun Jan 3, 2010 9:26 am (PST)



Hi, I just joined this group although I've had Type 2 diabetes since 1994. I was put on Glyburide after diagnosis (didn't work), then on Glucophage. Glucophage worked GREAT for several years but my glucose levels started rising so Starlix was added to the mix. I was on the Glucophage-Starlix combination until 2005 when I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. My right kidney was removed and I was put on a Starlix only regiment (Glucophage isn't good for a person for one kidney, right?).

Anyway, the kidney cancer spread to my lungs and was on several oral chemo-like pills to hold it in check, first Sutent, then Nexavar. After Nexavar failed the oncologist put me on Afinitor. Within just a few days after starting Afinitor my glucose levels went through the ceiling. I was always high, a few times approaching 400. I was taken off Afinitor but my glucose levels continued to soar. Novolog was added to Starlix on a sliding scale--didn't work. Now I'm on Lantus (30 Units/Day, Novolog 4 times a day on a sliding scale, plus Starlix, 120 mg three times per day.

I'm still not under control. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to change the mix so I can get myself back to relatively normal glucose levels? I have a doctor appointment Tuesday and would really like to have some ideas of my own to talk with her about.

Bob Stewart, Granger, Indiana

PS: Sorry about being long winded but I wanted to describe my situation as clearly as possible. I'm certainly not overweight, 137 pounds and 5'9".

1.2.

Re: Newbie

Posted by: "Sandra" atc.sandra@cox.net   atcsandra

Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:37 am (PST)



Welcome to the list, Bob. Don't feel bad if you don't get too many answers
to your questions. WE are not doctors, just folks like yourself who live
with diabetes and we can only speak to what we have done ourselves. Only
those who might be dealing with cancer and diabetes can tell you what they
have done.

Sandra

-----Original Message-----
From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bob1234stewart
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:11 AM
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Newbie

Hi, I just joined this group although I've had Type 2 diabetes since 1994.
I was put on Glyburide after diagnosis (didn't work), then on Glucophage.
Glucophage worked GREAT for several years but my glucose levels started
rising so Starlix was added to the mix. I was on the Glucophage-Starlix
combination until 2005 when I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. My right
kidney was removed and I was put on a Starlix only regiment (Glucophage
isn't good for a person for one kidney, right?).

Anyway, the kidney cancer spread to my lungs and was on several oral
chemo-like pills to hold it in check, first Sutent, then Nexavar. After
Nexavar failed the oncologist put me on Afinitor. Within just a few days
after starting Afinitor my glucose levels went through the ceiling. I was
always high, a few times approaching 400. I was taken off Afinitor but my
glucose levels continued to soar. Novolog was added to Starlix on a sliding
scale--didn't work. Now I'm on Lantus (30 Units/Day, Novolog 4 times a day
on a sliding scale, plus Starlix, 120 mg three times per day.

I'm still not under control. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to
change the mix so I can get myself back to relatively normal glucose levels?
I have a doctor appointment Tuesday and would really like to have some ideas
of my own to talk with her about.

Bob Stewart, Granger, Indiana

PS: Sorry about being long winded but I wanted to describe my situation as
clearly as possible. I'm certainly not overweight, 137 pounds and 5'9".

------------------------------------

*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical
advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their
doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are
best for your situation. ***Yahoo! Groups Links

1.3.

Re: Newbie

Posted by: "Dorothy Wurth" dottie.wurth@yahoo.com   dottie.wurth

Sun Jan 3, 2010 12:15 pm (PST)



Bob has both type 2 diabetes and kidney disease and asked about care for both and questions to ask his doctor.

Hi Bob,
Welcome to the group.  I have chronic kidney disease and have had type 2 for a little over 20 years.  I also, can no longer take the glucophage because of my kidneys.  I am able to maintain acceptable control (A1C 6.0) of my glucose with a combination of Lantus and Humulog and maintaining a carb intake between 50 to 100 grams per day.  I am currently on 50 units of Lantus with the Humulog at a sliding scale starting over 150.  I seldom have to use the Humulog, only if I exceed 30 grams of carbs at a time.  Both my primary care doctor and my Nephrologist approve of the diet but insist that I never go below that recommended carb intake.  It was difficult and time consuming to get the Lantus dose regulated to be sufficient to cover my basic insulin needs without being too low, but it was worth it.  I know that some would consider an A1C of 6.0 as too high, but my doctors absolutely insist that I shouldn't go lower.  I trust them to know what is
best for me, because they know my history.  I don't know anything about Starlix so can't comment about that.  My suggestion for things to discuss with your doctor would be whether you can reduce carb intake and increase your Lantus dose.  My doctor want me to always have a morning fasting over 100 and used that as her guide in increasing my Lantus dose. Please let us know how your doctor's visit goes.  Take good care.
Dottie

1.4.

Re: Newbie

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Sun Jan 3, 2010 1:34 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "bob1234stewart" <bob-stewart@...> wrote: I've had Type 2 diabetes since 1994 <snip> I was on the Glucophage-Starlix combination until 2005 when I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. My right kidney was removed <snip> the kidney cancer spread to my lungs and was on several oral chemo-like pills <snip> Now I'm on Lantus, Novolog, plus Starlix <snip> I'm still not under control. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to change the mix so I can get myself back to relatively normal glucose levels?>>

Hi, Bob, and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer, losing a kidney, etc. I hope you're doing well, at least as far as your kidney status and that you're in remission with the cancer?

Because you have a complicated medical history, it's not easy to comment about what you've told us. Add to that your skinniness, which is atypical of out-of-control type 2s-- we can't tell you to lose weight! And usually losing weight, even 10% of the extra, can really help type 2s get into better control, but that's not an issue for you.

Usually, unless someone's in some kind of health crisis for which they have to take steroidal meds or some such, good control can be had with insulin alone, especially if the person is able to exercise and willing to make dietary changes. But it will take time to manage these changes, maybe several months, during which you'll need some good guidance.

Sometimes after many years, the pancreas has just had it and is incapable of making and releasing any insulin-- if that's happened to you, the Starlix might not be doing you any good. I'd ask the doc about that.

Are you still a patient of your endo doc? Perhaps he has a certified diabetes educator (CDE) you could work with.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Judy D.

1.5.

Re: Newbie

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:10 pm (PST)



Just as a general guideline, and without trying to tell you what to do, the Lantus should generally be titrated up until your morning numbers are acceptable. Then some attempt to arrive at a formula for shooting the Humalog in response to carb intake is the best arrangement. The simple sliding scale is often not very effective unless one eats exactly the same thing at every meal. Good luck to you.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jude
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 4:34 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: Newbie

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "bob1234stewart" <bob-stewart@...> wrote: I've had Type 2 diabetes since 1994 <snip> I was on the Glucophage-Starlix combination until 2005 when I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. My right kidney was removed <snip> the kidney cancer spread to my lungs and was on several oral chemo-like pills <snip> Now I'm on Lantus, Novolog, plus Starlix <snip> I'm still not under control. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to change the mix so I can get myself back to relatively normal glucose levels?>>

Hi, Bob, and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer, losing a kidney, etc. I hope you're doing well, at least as far as your kidney status and that you're in remission with the cancer?

Because you have a complicated medical history, it's not easy to comment about what you've told us. Add to that your skinniness, which is atypical of out-of-control type 2s-- we can't tell you to lose weight! And usually losing weight, even 10% of the extra, can really help type 2s get into better control, but that's not an issue for you.

Usually, unless someone's in some kind of health crisis for which they have to take steroidal meds or some such, good control can be had with insulin alone, especially if the person is able to exercise and willing to make dietary changes. But it will take time to manage these changes, maybe several months, during which you'll need some good guidance.

Sometimes after many years, the pancreas has just had it and is incapable of making and releasing any insulin-- if that's happened to you, the Starlix might not be doing you any good. I'd ask the doc about that.

Are you still a patient of your endo doc? Perhaps he has a certified diabetes educator (CDE) you could work with.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Judy D.

2.

Lap-Band Surgery and Weight Loss

Posted by: "brian cooper" brianevans_99@yahoo.com   brianevans_99

Sun Jan 3, 2010 9:31 am (PST)




Anne,

Delighted to hear of your experience, and that you're pleased with the results. For various reasons, of course, it is better to lose weight slower than (too) rapidly; not only the skin but other body systems must adjust. And I believe I've seen that you're more likely to keep it off, rather than boomerang, with slower loss. (And you don't have to buy new clothes as often.)

I haven't had a procedure at this point, though a couple of my doctors agreed I ought to consider it. In a pharmacy one night, I got talking with the pharmacist, who said you have to take a variety of specially formulated liquid foods or supplements after the procedure. I'm wondering for how many months this must continue...and what the "supplies" cost per month (approximately), since I don't think Medicare covers that. Of course, one wouldn't have the expense of regular food--but I guess you'd have to carry some of these cans with you all the time...

Can you recommend any really good books that discuss lap-banding from start to finish, and its pros and cons--or a reputable website done by medical professionals or a respected organization??

Thanks,

Brian Cooper
__________________________________________________________

--- On Sat, 1/2/10, Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com <Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Digest Number 3853
> To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Saturday, January 2, 2010, 11:20 PM
> There are 25 messages in this issue.
>
>

3a.

Hair loss, Dibetes,  treatment for hair loss etc

Posted by: "Grey-Lady C" greyladyc@yahoo.com   greyladyc

Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:36 am (PST)



To All
to all of you that have commented about hair loss
just wanted to mentioned that I have along with being "blessed" with the condition/curse of being diabetic I also was blessed with the male pattern baldness gene I NOW wear bandanas ALL the time since I have VERY little to NO hair now, my hair started getting thin whenIwas 30 yrs old and progessively got thiner an thiner and thiner etc, while I can live with male pattern baldness at times I really wish I had a natual set of thick hair NO matter what color it was and isby the way I am female. it was kinda nice to know that you  have to have both sides of the family (gene) to develop male pattern baldness the worst part of being adopted (in the "dark" ages") is they agency won't tell or don't know the birth parents medical history so I NEVER Knew that diabetes or male pattern gene ran in my family. Fortunatly (so far) my 29 yr old daughter stills has her hair a little on the "limp" side  perhaps she has her hair thanks to her fathers and aunt side, both
still have  a head full of hair that keeps growing and growing even cut twice a month, both Natural (Irish)RED and slowly going gray, Dam sometimes I hate my husband (Jealous really) .

3b.

Re: Hair loss, Dibetes, treatment for hair loss etc

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:03 pm (PST)



My husband has a thick dark head of hair, and it's definitely in the family
as his mom at 72 has the same thick head of hair.
I can't say I'm balding, just thinning at this point, but I feel like
someday I might be it I keep shedding.
No thyroid issues, my doc tests me every year.
My grandma did wear a wig though, and my mom is thinner than is used to be
too.
~diane

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Grey-Lady C <greyladyc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> To All
> to all of you that have commented about hair loss
> just wanted to mentioned that I have along with being "blessed" with the
> condition/curse of being diabetic I also was blessed with the male pattern
> baldness gene I NOW wear bandanas ALL the time since I have VERY little to
> NO hair now, my hair started getting thin whenIwas 30 yrs old and
> progessively got thiner an thiner and thiner etc, while I can live with male
> pattern baldness at times I really wish I had a natual set of
>
3c.

Re: Hair loss, Dibetes, treatment for hair loss etc

Posted by: "Judy Crompton" kaiverj@yahoo.com   kaiverj

Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:16 pm (PST)



Hi All,
I was dignosed a year ago with type 2 diabetes I have been switched from pills to insulin and back and forth, at one time I was taking metphormin and my hair starting falling out, Is that normal? I'm only 24 and had to shave my head.

________________________________
From: Diane Moro <deemoro@gmail.com>
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, January 3, 2010 6:03:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Type-2-Diabetes] Hair loss, Dibetes, treatment for hair loss etc

 
My husband has a thick dark head of hair, and it's definitely in the family as his mom at 72 has the same thick head of hair.
I can't say I'm balding, just thinning at this point, but I feel like someday I might be it I keep shedding.
No thyroid issues, my doc tests me every year.
My grandma did wear a wig though, and my mom is thinner than is used to be too.
~diane

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Grey-Lady C <greyladyc@yahoo. com> wrote:

>
>
>To All
>to all of you that have commented about hair loss
>just wanted to mentioned that I have along with being "blessed" with the condition/curse of being diabetic I also was blessed with the male pattern baldness gene I NOW wear bandanas ALL the time since I have VERY little to NO hair now, my hair started getting thin whenIwas 30 yrs old and progessively got thiner an thiner and thiner etc, while I can live with male pattern baldness at times I really wish I had a natual set of
>

4a.

Stents and Bypassing

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:38 am (PST)

4b.

Re: Stents and Bypassing

Posted by: "ron42nm" ron42nm@gmail.com   ron42nm

Sun Jan 3, 2010 11:21 am (PST)



I'm surprised Abc News would publish such a simplistic piece by someone with no real qualifications. He's a rheumatologist, not a cardiologist or an expert in medical decision making. The article basically lumps all patients with coronary artery disease together. He uses studies without mentioning that certain subsets of the patients in these studies got different results.

The issue of stents and bypass surgery is not a simplistic as yes or no as this article states. There are some groups of patients who clearly benefit from these procedures and some who clearly do better with medical therapy. There are large numbers of patients in whom the answer isn't clear. That continues to be an area of active research as well as finding better techniques. The age specific incidence of heart disease has been declining for some time. That would tend to contradict those who say diet doesn't matter, blood lipids don't matter and statins don't matter. All of these are neither useless nor panaceas. Like many things, such as the vastly improved cure rate in breast cancer, it is not a single dramatic breakthrough, but a series of small steps - a couple of percent here, a couple of percent there - and after 20-30 years, it's 50% better. Are these procedures overused? Very likely so. But that does not mean no one should have them.

Ron

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@...> wrote:
>
> Here is an interesting piece:
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Cholesterol/story?id=2717646&page=1
>

4c.

Re: Stents and Bypassing

Posted by: "AnaLog Services, Inc." analog@logwell.com   sydlevine

Sun Jan 3, 2010 12:16 pm (PST)



It is just an opinion piece, but it happens to be a very good opinion. These heroic (bypassing and stenting) procedures are used much less in most of the rest of the world than here, and there is no dramatic difference in results for most patients (if you want cites see Dr. Wayne's books).

Your analysis is a bit backwards. If these extraordinary procedures produce such meager results, then why in the world would we want to sell them to every Tom, Dick. and Harry when they are orders of magnitude riskier than medical (drug) treatment, and orders of magnitude more expensive?

Finally, we do not know with certainty why heart attacks are less common and less severe than fifty years ago, but it does not follow that it has anything to do with incremental benefits of surgery. Quite the contrary, its a miracle we are doing as well as we do with the cardiologists and heart surgeons doing their best to kill patients (and they do kill quite a few, and ruin the rest of the lives of many others with pump brain and other complications). It is far more likely that the common use of Beta Blockers, Ace Inhibitors, and other medications (maybe even Statins not because of Cholesterol, but because they coincidentally have some anti-inflammatory qualities) have contributed to the equation. This is not unprecedented and is thought to be the reason Syphilis is now rarely seen even though folks are are promiscuous as ever.

Syd

----- Original Message -----
From: ron42nm
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 2:06 PM
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: Stents and Bypassing

I'm surprised Abc News would publish such a simplistic piece by someone with no real qualifications. He's a rheumatologist, not a cardiologist or an expert in medical decision making. The article basically lumps all patients with coronary artery disease together. He uses studies without mentioning that certain subsets of the patients in these studies got different results.

The issue of stents and bypass surgery is not a simplistic as yes or no as this article states. There are some groups of patients who clearly benefit from these procedures and some who clearly do better with medical therapy. There are large numbers of patients in whom the answer isn't clear. That continues to be an area of active research as well as finding better techniques. The age specific incidence of heart disease has been declining for some time. That would tend to contradict those who say diet doesn't matter, blood lipids don't matter and statins don't matter. All of these are neither useless nor panaceas. Like many things, such as the vastly improved cure rate in breast cancer, it is not a single dramatic breakthrough, but a series of small steps - a couple of percent here, a couple of percent there - and after 20-30 years, it's 50% better. Are these procedures overused? Very likely so. But that does not mean no one should have them.

Ron

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@...> wrote:
>
> Here is an interesting piece:
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Cholesterol/story?id=2717646&page=1
>

4d.

Re: Stents and Bypassing

Posted by: "ron42nm" ron42nm@gmail.com   ron42nm

Sun Jan 3, 2010 12:37 pm (PST)



Please do not put words in my mouth. I said these procedures are overused. However, the strong implication of what the article said and what you've often said here is that they never should be used. The truth is somewhere in between.

I said the **incidence** of coronary artery disease has been preogressively decreasing. Obviously that has nothing to do with surgery since surgery is done only on those already with disease. Although it isn't fully known why (the article pretends we have no idea at all), it does have to do with the cumulative effects of a decrease in smoking, better treatment of hypertension, better diet, awareness of LDL, better control of diabetics, and statins. It does not have to do with beta blockers and ACE inhibitors except as they are used to treat high blood pressure.

I don't know what you were trying to say but it's no mystery why syphilis is rare. Syphilis is rare because of penicillin. As soon as penicillin started to be used to treat it the incidence dropped precipitously because many fewer people were chronically infected and able to spread it.

Ron

--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@...> wrote:
>
> It is just an opinion piece, but it happens to be a very good opinion. These heroic (bypassing and stenting) procedures are used much less in most of the rest of the world than here, and there is no dramatic difference in results for most patients (if you want cites see Dr. Wayne's books).
>
> Your analysis is a bit backwards. If these extraordinary procedures produce such meager results, then why in the world would we want to sell them to every Tom, Dick. and Harry when they are orders of magnitude riskier than medical (drug) treatment, and orders of magnitude more expensive?
>
> Finally, we do not know with certainty why heart attacks are less common and less severe than fifty years ago, but it does not follow that it has anything to do with incremental benefits of surgery. Quite the contrary, its a miracle we are doing as well as we do with the cardiologists and heart surgeons doing their best to kill patients (and they do kill quite a few, and ruin the rest of the lives of many others with pump brain and other complications). It is far more likely that the common use of Beta Blockers, Ace Inhibitors, and other medications (maybe even Statins not because of Cholesterol, but because they coincidentally have some anti-inflammatory qualities) have contributed to the equation. This is not unprecedented and is thought to be the reason Syphilis is now rarely seen even though folks are are promiscuous as ever.
>
> Syd
>

5.1.

Re: whats a beefalo burger??

Posted by: "GJ" gj.lentz76@gmail.com   gj.lentz

Sun Jan 3, 2010 11:17 am (PST)



Never heard of a beefalo burger...curiouse about the food allergy talk, as i have posted my problems with hives. ive also tried cutting out specific food types, even though the allergist tested for the "commons" that ive never had issues with anyway. finished my zyrtec and sure enough i have puffy, splotchy, irritating, hivey break out on my arm, so he has set up some blood work as he anticipated this *rolls my eyes*

seen a lot about seeing an endo on here, im due to see one myself because i have kallmans, so im seeing that maybe an endo is a good choice for a diabetic care dr as well?

5.2.

Re: whats a beefalo burger??

Posted by: "Tiamat" tiamat99@comcast.net   lulamoon99

Sun Jan 3, 2010 12:18 pm (PST)



"Beefalo is an inter-species hybrid of American Bison and bovine. Full-blood Beefalo are exactly 3/8 bison and 5/8 bovine, with any of the beef breeds making up the latter part of the equation."

http://americanbeefalo.org/

Tiamat

----- "GJ" <gj.lentz76@gmail.com> wrote: >

Never heard of a beefalo burger...
5.3.

Re: whats a beefalo burger?? - GJ

Posted by: "Wee K Chew" wee@weekhiong.plus.com   wee_khiong

Sun Jan 3, 2010 12:20 pm (PST)



Beefalo Burger is a burger made with Bison/Buffalo meat.

I look up Wikipedia and there is plenty of information about hives.
You might want to look up Wikipedia about "hives".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticaria

Best bet is to see a Doctor QUICKLY.

Wee
Middx UK

-----Original Message-----
From: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of GJ
Sent: 03 January 2010 19:02
To: Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Type-2-Diabetes] Re: whats a beefalo burger??

Never heard of a beefalo burger...curiouse about the food allergy talk, as i
have posted my problems with hives. ive also tried cutting out specific food
types, even though the allergist tested for the "commons" that ive never had
issues with anyway. finished my zyrtec and sure enough i have puffy,
splotchy, irritating, hivey break out on my arm, so he has set up some blood
work as he anticipated this *rolls my eyes*

seen a lot about seeing an endo on here, im due to see one myself because i
have kallmans, so im seeing that maybe an endo is a good choice for a
diabetic care dr as well?

5.4.

when to see an endo doc

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Sun Jan 3, 2010 1:44 pm (PST)



--- In Type-2-Diabetes@yahoogroups.com, "GJ" <gj.lentz76@...> wrote:
seen a lot about seeing an endo on here, im due to see one myself because i have kallmans, so im seeing that maybe an endo is a good choice for a diabetic care dr as well?>

Anyone who has multiple endocrine issues needs an endocrinologist-- there are lots of diabetics who also have thyroid problems, for instance.

People who take insulin, by injection or pump, probably do better with an endo's supervision, since they and their staff members have the expertise to understand what's going on and advise the person. I will share that only at my endo's office do I truly feel "understood" about my diabetic issues. My PCP is a board certified internal medicine doc, but... it's just not the same there.

So anyhoo, not all type 2s need an endo, especially when first diagnosed, but a lot depends on their PCP's expertise and comfort in handling their case, whether or not the patient has confidence in the care they're getting, and how easily the patient's diabetes comes into line after diagnosis.

Judy D.

5.5.

Re: whats a beefalo burger??

Posted by: "Deb Billwiller" auroraws@yahoo.ca   auroraws

Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:11 pm (PST)



Is buffalo not readily available in the States? I've never
encountered beefalo, but here in BC, a lot of supermarkets carry
buffalo regularly, and at prices not much different than beef.
We rarely eat beef, using mostly wild game instead, but on those
occasions when we're low on game, I buy buffalo rather than beef.

Deb in BC

At 08:18 PM 2010-01-03, you wrote:

>"Beefalo is an inter-species hybrid of American Bison and bovine.
>Full-blood Beefalo are exactly 3/8 bison and 5/8 bovine, with any of
>the beef breeds making up the latter part of the equation."

5.6.

Re: whats a beefalo burger??

Posted by: "Diane Moro" deemoro@gmail.com   signoradiana

Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:19 pm (PST)



Buffalo is for sale at our local Hannaford Supermarket. Trader Joe also has
it.
~diane

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Deb Billwiller <auroraws@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Is buffalo not readily available in the States? I've never
> encountered beefalo, but here in BC, a lot of supermarkets carry
> buffalo regularly, and at prices not much different than beef.
> We rarely eat beef, using mostly wild game instead, but on those
> occasions when we're low on game, I buy buffalo rather than beef.
>
> Deb in BC
>
>
6a.

Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times?

Posted by: "Wee K Chew" wee@weekhiong.plus.com   wee_khiong

Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:08 pm (PST)



I am in the process of making a card that I will carry with me at all times
in case of emergency.
I can use small font and squeeze in as many useful info as needed and have
it laminated(rainproof) :)
I am hoping will allow paramedics to have quick access to my medication and
my condition to avoid them giving me the wrong drugs or treatment.
What kind of information is useful apart from "type 2", Metformin 1g twice
daily, Gliclazide 80mg daily, age?, height?, BMI?, Weight? CHO? LDL?, HDL?
Do I need all these information or am I being too careful here? :)

Does anyone have a standard card already that I may copy with permission to
avoid any copyright lawsuit against me? :)

Wee :)
Middx UK

6b.

Re: Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times?

Posted by: "Jude" peridotjude@yahoo.com   peridotjude

Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:24 pm (PST)



Here in the US, EMTs/paramedics/rescue workers are trained to look at the wrist and the neck for medic alert jewelry. One of these two places, on a bracelet or a necklace medallion, are really the only good spots to carry medical ID.

No EMT is going to take the time to rifle through your wallet or purse, looking for medical info, for two reasons-- it does take time, and chances are, he wouldn't see your card or recognize it for what it was,even if he did see it. And then there are issues of privacy and the legality of a stranger opening your purse-wallet and rooting around in there-- AFAIK, only the police are authorized to do that, in an emergency.

So. My advice would be to go to your pharmacy or jeweler and pick up a medic alert ID medallion and have it engraved. My own says DIABETES ASTHMA SLEEP APNEA HBP.

Medic Alert, here in the states and in Canada, is the originator of the idea of alert jewelry, and they run a wonderful non-profit organization that's state of the art. For anyone who can't afford their service, there is scholarship $$$ available. If the UK has a branch of Medic Alert, they'd be the way to go! Here in the US, their website is at www.medicalert.org

Judy D.

6c.

Re: Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times?

Posted by: "judi dawson" jacknjudi@gmail.com   judinjersey

Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:15 pm (PST)



I agree with what Jude said. however the police will look for vehicle ID so
putting a *copy* there would be acceptable. My key chain has the word
DIABETIC spelled out with beads and a card similar to what you are making
attached. also my wallet. My granddaughter has epilepsy and I made a chain
with EPILEPSY in beads and attached it to her car seat. Tattoos are always
good LOL!!!!
judi

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Jude <peridotjude@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> Here in the US, EMTs/paramedics/rescue workers are trained to look at the
> wrist and the neck for medic alert jewelry. One of these two places, on a
> bracelet or a necklace medallion, are really the only good spots to carry
> medical ID.
>
> No EMT is going to take the time to rifle through your wallet or purse,
> looking for medical info, for two reasons-- it does take time, and chances
> are, he wouldn't see your card or recognize it for what it was,even if he
> did see it. And then there are issues of privacy and the legality of a
> stranger opening your purse-wallet and rooting around in there-- AFAIK, only
> the police are authorized to do that, in an emergency.
>
> So. My advice would be to go to your pharmacy or jeweler and pick up a
> medic alert ID medallion and have it engraved. My own says DIABETES ASTHMA
> SLEEP APNEA HBP.
>
> Medic Alert, here in the states and in Canada, is the originator of the
> idea of alert jewelry, and they run a wonderful non-profit organization
> that's state of the art. For anyone who can't afford their service, there is
> scholarship $$$ available. If the UK has a branch of Medic Alert, they'd be
> the way to go! Here in the US, their website is at www.medicalert.org
>
> Judy D.
>
>
>

6d.

Re: Does you carry Diabetic identification card at all times?

Posted by: "Wee K Chew" wee@weekhiong.plus.com   wee_khiong

Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:17 pm (PST)



"Here in the US, EMTs/paramedics/rescue workers are trained to look at the
wrist and the neck for medic alert jewelry. One of these two places, on a
bracelet or a necklace medallion, are really the only good spots to carry
medical ID."

What I didn't know, I know now :)

"No EMT is going to take the time to rifle through your wallet or purse,
looking for medical info, for two reasons-- it does take time, and chances
are, he wouldn't see your card or recognize it for what it was,even if he
did see it. And then there are issues of privacy and the legality of a
stranger opening your purse-wallet and rooting around in there-- AFAIK,
only the police are authorized to do that, in an emergency. So. My advice
would be to go to your pharmacy or jeweler and pick up a medic alert ID
medallion and have it engraved. My own says DIABETES ASTHMA SLEEP APNEA
HBP."

Good Point, I can buy the pendant on-line at Medic Alert site :)

Here in UK Medic Alert site is ;-

http://www.medicalert.org.uk/

Wee
Middx UK

7.

Re: Newbie/Lantus

Posted by: "Tiamat" tiamat99@comcast.net   lulamoon99

Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:36 pm (PST)



That's xactly the way the new endo went..morning numbers are getting very good, so she should add the other insulin next visit Feb3.

Am letting go the hands of all I have been clutching since began the new {Lantus} program. You know who you are! You have all been super great. Will pay for any broken bones. Grateful for the support and 'well wishes'.

Tiamat

----- "AnaLog Services, Inc." <analog@logwell.com> wrote:

Just as a general guideline, and without trying to tell you what to do, the Lantus should generally be titrated up until your morning numbers are acceptable. Then some attempt to arrive at a formula for shooting the Humalog in response to carb intake is the best arrangement. The simple sliding scale is often not very effective unless one eats exactly the same thing at every meal. Good luck to you.

8.

New member questions

Posted by: "benzo4321" ruby.none@gmail.com   benzo4321

Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:15 pm (PST)



Hello,

I was diagnosed to be pre-diabetic. As recent as 9/17/09, my fasting glucose was 84, now it is 109. I have quite a few antibodies (but not sure if I have insulin antibody).

1) If my gasting glucose is 109 and I don't have ketones in my urine, does that mean I am type 2?

2) I saw my PCP yesterday and asked whether I am type 1 or type 2. All he did was to order an Ac1 test. Will Ac1 tell if I am type 1 or type 2?

3) If anyone lives in NY/NJ, can you recommend a good doctor?

My glucose is not too high but I have already had several symptoms: palpitation, chest discomfort, elevated blood pressure, the feeling of cerebrovascular pain and the beginning of urinary incontinence.

4) can you feel cerebrovascular pain in your head?

Thanks,

Ruby

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Schizophrenia groups

Find support

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green

Find green

groups and tips

Yahoo! Groups

Dog Zone

Connect w/others

who love dogs.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
*** All information discussed on this list is not to be taken as medical advice but the experience of each member based on discussions with their doctors. ***

*** Please always consult with your doctor about what treatment options are best for your situation. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment